UPS Employee DHS Employment Verification

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

$30/hr works out to $.50 per minute. It takes about 5 minutes for this process so if you would PM me your address I will send you a check for $2.50. You can use that to buy a Powerade when you go to the gym tomorrow morning.

This I-9 verification process is mandated by the DHS for any agency with government contracts. Do you really think UPS would be going through all this if it didn't have to? Fill out the online portion and then present appropriate ID to HR for verification. Failure to do so will result in termination. Are you willing to lose your job over $2.50?

My attitude need not concern you.

$30/hr works out to $.50 per minute. It takes about 5 minutes for this process so if you would PM me your address I will send you a check for $2.50. You can use that to buy a Powerade when you go to the gym tomorrow morning.

This I-9 verification process is mandated by the DHS for any agency with government contracts. Do you really think UPS would be going through all this if it didn't have to? Fill out the online portion and then present appropriate ID to HR for verification. Failure to do so will result in termination. Are you willing to lose your job over $2.50?

You may be over thinking this.

UPSSOCKS

Re: Feeder Driver DHS Employment Verification

Yes. Yes it is. I work two jobs, hit the gym 5 days a week, donate blood, donate to the United Way, pay my bills on time.....I do everything right. This is not about doing your job--this is about obtaining third party evidence that confirms such actions being taken by UPS are required by state and federal law. And if they are in fact required, if they are also required to compensate employees for time spent filling out the forms.

Last I checked, I filled out my previous I-9 during orientation.....on the clock. So why should I complete re-verification off the clock for an employer that is required by Federal Law to still have my information on file?

Drop the attitude, friend.

This guy is full of it, I am putting him on ignore. He's not educated, and just wants to complain about the I-9 because he's probably an ilegal alien. I hope he doesn't do the I-9. It will be an easy way to get rid of a "know it all; that really knows nothing"

bluehdmc

I did it. It did not take long, but I really don't understand the need for it. I completed an I-9 at the time I was hired. If I recall correctly the person who checked the documents at that time signed off on it. I also have an airport ID that I was fingerprinted for. This just seems a little redundant, of course that must be so Halliburton or one of it's subsidaries can overcharge the goberment a few million dollars. Maybe Dick Cheney has to buy some more birdshot.

Re: Feeder Driver DHS Employment Verification

This guy is full of it, I am putting him on ignore. He's not educated, and just wants to complain about the I-9 because he's probably an ilegal alien. I hope he doesn't do the I-9. It will be an easy way to get rid of a "know it all; that really knows nothing"
...LOL. Yes, I am an illegal alien. That's it. Does nothing escape you? You are a vacuum. I have a US Passport that I could easily use to complete the process...but.....why should I make things easy for a company that is not making things easy for me? Where is my incentive?

"The instructions must be available during completion of this form."

Sound familiar? If it doesn't, it's because it is from the actual I-9 form, the one thousands of UPSers are never going to see because they are filling out an unauthorized clone, which is most likely a violation of Federal Law for several reasons (no Translator available, no instructions available, no audio playback available, etc.)

"It is illegal to discriminate against work-authorized individuals."

This should also sound familiar. I'm sure I could find more than one Lawyer (or Judge) who would agree that requiring employees to navigate the Internet to a specific website on their own time--in order to keep their jobs--constitutes discrimination. We were not hired to be web-surfers; we were hired to load trucks. Nowhere in my job description or requirements does it say "Must be familiar with Firefox or Internet Explorer", or "Must have access to an internet connection, outside of work hours".

Again...the point is not how easy it is or isn't to do. The point is whether not Federal and State Laws are being violated. Frankly, it's kind of disappointing to me to see so many Supervisors trolling these threads, regurgitating the standard talking points and offering absolutely no direct quotes from the I-9 forms or the E-Verify legislation itself. It just isn't.....thorough. And I like thorough.

UPSSOCKS

I have been instructed via PM from a moderator to not use offensive language. I'm going to interpret that as meaning: don't be mean to people, no matter what language you use. So work with me here. You are being given a golden opportunity here to impress me with your sophistication--or at least, your sophistry. Do not deny yourself the chance by putting me on ignore. How can we become good friends if you can't even read my words? Let me add you to my Facebook. PM me your info? Let's be friends?

Close....but incorrect.

First of all, the I-9 verification process is not simply "mandated by DHS for any agency with government contracts". It is mandated under very specific circumstances--among them, such a contract being worth over $300,000. The mandate applies, not to everyone, but to two separate classes of employees: 1) E-Verify registration for new employees; and 2) E-Verify registration for employees that will be working on the Federal Contract. -- Workers who have been continuously employed are not covered.

(I've done my homework on this. Have you? Or did you just read the talking points?)

Separately, the E-Verify is an employer requirement....not an employee requirement. The law did not change for employees--they are not required to do a single thing online. It is entirely incumbent upon the employer to complete such tasks. If UPS does not want to pay contractors to do the paper-to-online conversion and they would rather coerce their employees into doing it on their own free time--and save their HR resources for the scragglers, like me, who refuse--then they can do (and are doing) just that.

But firing someone for not completing a 3rd Party I-9 is out of the question. You will see major class action lawsuits result, and as a UPS Shareholder.....I would not be very happy about it. As a worker, I'd be stoked about getting to sit home and collect unemployment--then later, collect back pay and get restored to my previous position (as required by law), and have everyone looking red-faced. It's the American Worker's Dream.

That having been said, when the time comes, I will happily complete a paper-based, official I-9, and supply appropriate documentation. Heck, I might even print out my own copy and bring it with me. But 3rd Party I-9 is not happening by my hand. Oh, and UPS WILL be paying me to complete the paper I-9, by hook or by crook.

Do you also want to be friends? You seem like more of a MySpace guy. Luckily for you, I have both. PM me your info?

I may have lost focus on this topic. The verification is mandated by law, correct? If so, I don't see why UPS should pay the 10 minutes for each driver to do the process. UPS isn't asking for the info, for their own use. Here, we do not get paid to take the DOT exam and cert, why would this be any different?

I may have lost focus on this topic. The verification is mandated by law, correct? If so, I don't see why UPS should pay the 10 minutes for each driver to do the process. UPS isn't asking for the info, for their own use. Here, we do not get paid to take the DOT exam and cert, why would this be any different?
Did you know Breaks are also required by Law? Unfair that UPS has to pay you while you sit around, not even working....correct?

And if I lost you there, the point is that just because something is required by Law, does not mean the Employer necessarily has a right to force (in this case, coerce) an Employee to do it off the clock, or out of their own pocket--key word being necessarily. I-9's, Withholding Taxes, they all fall under this employer-responsibility umbrella.

And no, that isn't out of some Contract or prepared talking points. That is straight out of The Law...aka, Reality. The "Real World", as it were, where Supervisors don't get to decide which Federal laws they will and won't follow.

Again...I sympathize, but at the same time, I don't. We didn't force UPS to accept a Government contract. We're not getting a percentage cut of it. This is a decision they made on their own. They'll probably get away with it for 80% of employees, so that's good enough.The other 10-20% will take longer (like me), but if they value their jobs (and I do), they will come around as well. On paper.

Did you know Breaks are also required by Law? Unfair that UPS has to pay you while you sit around, not even working....correct?
In some states it is the law that an employer provide paid breaks (or so I have heard), some states not true.

And if I lost you there, the point is that just because something is required by Law, does not mean the Employer necessarily has a right to force (in this case, coerce) an Employee to do it off the clock, or out of their own pocket--key word being necessarily. I-9's, Withholding Taxes, they all fall under this employer-responsibility umbrella.

HA HA HA, no you didn't lose me, but your logic has huge holes.

The company has a responsibility, as does the employee, to see that the employee has all mandated government documentation required for the job. Unless the law or a union contract sates that the employee be compensated for being certified the company does not have to pay.
No coercing needed, get the documents filed out or face the consequences set out by the LAW.

And no, that isn't out of some Contract or prepared talking points. That is straight out of The Law...aka, Reality. The "Real World", as it were, where Supervisors don't get to decide which Federal laws they will and won't follow.

What law says the company has to pay the employee to do that paper work? I need to see something other than your opinion on this.

Again...I sympathize, but at the same time, I don't. We didn't force UPS to accept a Government contract. We're not getting a percentage cut of it. This is a decision they made on their own. They'll probably get away with it for 80% of employees, so that's good enough.The other 10-20% will take longer (like me), but if they value their jobs (and I do), they will come around as well. On paper.

Who are you feeling sympathy for? UPS accepted a gov contract to make money and provide work for YOU, in which you are paid your hourly wage just as you do for any other package you deliver, so yeah, in fact you are getting a % of the revenue.

. The question would be, does this law (I-9) read that the employer pay the employee while doing the paper work? If the answer is yes, then do it on the clock otherwise, if the contract doesn't say the company pays to have all government documentation completed, then why should they pay you to do it?
This I-9 thing isn't any different than getting your DOT physical or renewing your drivers licenses, unless your union contract supplement provides for the employee to be on the clock when getting these documents, you are not going to be paid to get them.

dillweed

Gosh, I didn't have any trouble with being paid - they just sent me into an office. I had no problem doing it online, I figure they're safe systems. I did, however, have a less-than-pleasant experience with the HR person.
Gave my soc card and license. So far so good.
Her: what's your maiden name?
me: why do you ask?
her: the form wants it.
me: you already have all that info.
her: are you going to give it to me or not?
me: Glad to when I understand why you need it now when you already have it.
her: Fine, I'll say you refused to give it.
me: you're a bit edgy today. Things all right?
her: you are refusing to cooperate
me: ok

She scrolls past all the legal stuff saying I swear that it's all true and that it's the law to be honest. Now...
her: I press this as your e-signature.
me: what?
her: once I push this it's your e signatuare
me: OK< but I want a copy of that form first please.
her: why? no one else got one.
me: that's fine but I don't e-sign anything without hard copy.
her:well I don't have a printer
me: There are lots around here, let's get you hooked up to one
her: well, you're so worried about your security yet you don't mind having your info spewed into cyberspace on its way to a printer.
me: speechless with that level of stupidity so just looked at her
her: what's your problem anyway? I haven't had trouble from anyone else.
me:I don't know you from Adam. I don't know that you're authorized to get all this info and I'm not e-signing anything until I have a copy
her: I'm HR and have been here for three years. I have a badge do you want to see it?
me: yes please
her: I don't have a badge but do have the authority to make you complete this or you won't have a job.
me: do you have a badge or not? This isn't going so well and I'm not at all comfortable with what you are doing or saying. A hard copy is all I want and don't feel it's too much to ask.
her: Fine, I say you have refused to cooperate and you will be out of a job.
She tossed me ID back at me and I left. Found the center manager and was asking him "what the heck" when little miss runs up crying like a stuck pig. He knows how I am and smiled when I said she claimed to have a badge then couldn't produce it. I had my heels dug in and had her to rights as a liar. He assured me it was all on the up-and-up, then got a call. Poor guy, as center manager, has all the crap on his back that time of day so I went in, told her I'd cooperate for center manager's sake, finished it off and wished her a nice weekend.
What a piece of work. Her or me? Don't know. It's not nice to fool with HR but I feel strongly that it's suicide to e-sign anything without a hard copy.
Only UPS can take something so straight forward and turn it into a psing match.

If anyone feels I was in the wrong to ask for a hard copy please let me know. Sometimes my high horse gets a bit out of hand.

dillweed

thanks, upstate. I respect your opinion. Have stayed quiet and out of trouble for a long time and that horse was getting edgy. In all honesty I was being difficult.

over9five

Staff member
I don't think you did anything wrong, except cave-in in the end. There is NOTHING wrong with getting a copy of what you've signed. The HR person was WAY out of line, especially outright lying to you. Did she apologize?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
On Friday I completed the I-9 process.
I punched in, went to the HR office, and gave my 2 forms of ID. She said "come here I don't bite", but I said "no thanks be are be", went and got a soft drink. 10 minutes later, came back and she said I was all set.
Enjoyable way to kill 10 minutes of company time!