UPS employee falls ill due to extreme heat

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
What are you going on about?

Was water provided? No!
Was a break provided? Yes, after 3 hours and 55 minutes.

No one called the news from your construction site? Who cares? We're talking about UPS mistreatment of its employees.

thanks for selectivly answering those questions. was the sup made aware?

it's perfectly obvious that you are trying to "get paid"

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
cach, its a crappy situation, but i think the only thing mangement should be on the hook for is not helping people be made aware of when they are reaching their limits.

here in our hub, they do a great job. had the safety committe down our crosswalk holding signs about staying hydrated, etc. it's written on the big board for when the drivers are leaving as well, but anyone with a brain should know when they are getting ill. it was even written on the hub floor to stay hydrated. was this in response to a death? don't know, but it was a good step in the right direction

First I've heard of it. last year there was a driver in our bldg that passed out,and they didn't work him for the duration of the summer.. Although the safety committe Advertises "Safety First Stay Hydrated" when your on the road under the Extreme Heat, your body can only take so much.. i worked for a waterproofing company some years ago, and when "The Heat" became too much us, to bare we shut down for the day. Not saying that would be appropriate for UPS, but to maybe consider your drivers health.. We know that will never happen... We have a union backing, but what about drivers standing up and coming together and Being on One accord..Too much like right or just to scared to Stand up and speak out.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
This is a company that wont even put fans in the package cars, you think they care if we drop dead in the heat? I dont. I think if I die from the heat UPS will look at it as a plus and they will be able to replace me with a guy who wont make top rate for 3 years, it would be a money saver.

Saddle Crook

It didn`t make the papers here either. A driver form that building let us know. The person had worked that day in a heat index of 110+ and on their way out of the building dropped dead in the crosswalk.

How could something like that not make the papers?

I'm sure the family will be filing a lawsuit.

satellitedriver

cach, its a crappy situation, but i think the only thing mangement should be on the hook for is not helping people be made aware of when they are reaching their limits.

here in our hub, they do a great job. had the safety committe down our crosswalk holding signs about staying hydrated, etc. it's written on the big board for when the drivers are leaving as well, but anyone with a brain should know when they are getting ill. it was even written on the hub floor to stay hydrated. was this in response to a death? don't know, but it was a good step in the right direction

I have read this entire thread and I am appalled at your responses.
The only one I slightly agree with is,
anyone with a brain should know when they are getting ill.
Any true manager should know the conditions they are asking-(read as demanding)- employees to work under. UPS only provides the minimum required conditions to meet OSHA standards.
The malarkey about staying hydrated is the key to avoiding heat exhaustion is just that, Malarkey!
Hydration is just one of the four key factors in avoiding heat exhaustion that can lead quickly into heat stroke.
1. Hydration
Simply put drink a lot water.
2. Electrolytes
Drinking mass amount of water, sweating and urination depletes the electrolytes in ones body.
-( anyone that took an eight grade science course knows that all body functions from brain to muscle depend on an "electrical" signal)-
3. Shade
Simplistic term for allowing ones core body temp to cool down below the danger zone of over 102.
4. Rest
This is synonymous with shade in keeping ones core temp below the danger zone.

Words written on a sign just does not cut the muster.
How about teaching-( or learning)- that drinking only GatorAid, or any other electrolyte supplement, is a very dangerous overload of potassium that can mimic a heart attack and require hospitalization for it's adverse effects.
Basic rule of thumb is 1pint of GatorAid to 2 to3 pints of water.
You also posted this,
was this in response to a death? don't know, but it was a good step in the right direction
A good manager would-(should)- know that the previous steps taken were inadequate and make correct corrections.
Step up and learn what you are trying to sell.

brownman15

If the power went out because of a thunderstorm caused by the hot weather and you couldn't work because there was no lights or moving belts and you couldn't perform your job, should you still be paid for not working? To you my response was "ignorant". If you need assistance understanding this response I will be glad to help.

yes if you show up you are guaranteed your daily guarantee

I have read this entire thread and I am appalled at your responses.The only one I slightly agree with is,anyone with a brain should know when they are getting ill.Any true manager should know the conditions they are asking-(read as demanding)- employees to work under. UPS only provides the minimum required conditions to meet OSHA standards.The malarkey about staying hydrated is the key to avoiding heat exhaustion is just that, Malarkey!Hydration is just one of the four key factors in avoiding heat exhaustion that can lead quickly into heat stroke.1. Hydration Simply put drink a lot water.2. Electrolytes Drinking mass amount of water, sweating and urination depletes the electrolytes in ones body.-( anyone that took an eight grade science course knows that all body functions from brain to muscle depend on an "electrical" signal)-3. Shade Simplistic term for allowing ones core body temp to cool down below the danger zone of over 102.4. Rest This is synonymous with shade in keeping ones core temp below the danger zone.Words written on a sign just does not cut the muster.How about teaching-( or learning)- that drinking only GatorAid, or any other electrolyte supplement, is a very dangerous overload of potassium that can mimic a heart attack and require hospitalization for it's adverse effects.Basic rule of thumb is 1pint of GatorAid to 2 to3 pints of water.You also posted this, was this in response to a death? don't know, but it was a good step in the right directionA good manager would-(should)- know that the previous steps taken were inadequate and make correct corrections.Step up and learn what you are trying to sell.
You just treated him like your red headed stepchild bitch. Right on

Dragon

Package Center Manager
PS - Its going to be hot all summer, next summer the summer after that and the summer after that. I also believe its going to be hot every summer for the rest of your life. If you are going to work at UPS in the coming years and/or any other physically demanding job you are going to be HOT, period.

Your choices are:
Quit
Man UP
Women UP
take care of yourself before you come to work.

I'm done.

Buddybrown

A UPS employee fell ill Sunday night in Saddle Brook due to working in the extreme heat. UPS is trying to keep this quiet. Please spread the word about this. No one should be pushed to working in these extreme temperatures. Whatever the temperature outside add about 15 degrees to it and that it how hot it was Sunday night. Also, break time was 3 hours and 55 minutes after start time.
Where's your link. It's hot every summer grow a pair!

Converge

I'm not taking sides to any of this really, but my 2 cents is just we know how hot its gets what we need to do to be prepared for the heat by being properly hydrated and what not. but i think its just UPS knows how hot it gets, especially when having to load the trailers and everything and they really have just about nothing to keeping the employee cool, or to cool down. Minus handing out cold water which is always great to have, but you can only drink so much water before that makes you feel sick.

satellitedriver

PS - Its going to be hot all summer, next summer the summer after that and the summer after that. I also believe its going to be hot every summer for the rest of your life. If you are going to work at UPS in the coming years and/or any other physically demanding job you are going to be HOT, period.

Your choices are:
Quit
Man UP
Women UP
take care of yourself before you come to work.

I'm done.

Ha, ha.
There is a reason I have survived as a driver for 25yrs and gone through 13 center manager's, 6 DM's and about 100 on road Sups. The PT sups that have come and gone I could not even count.
80% of all my sups were fired-(for falsifying numbers) or quit.

I take care of myself at work, because I know my job and limitations.
You have only one choice and that is to;
Kiss Up.
I hope you enjoy the view as long as you can make it last.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I have working for this company since 1975, and it has always got oppressively hot in the Summer. I have lived in the South all my life and I am used to dealing with it. I hate Summer more than Peak Season, but I keep drinking lots of water and push myself to finish the day. But what gets me is how this company pretends to care about safety, and now thinks nothing about busting out routes and over dispatching when there are enough stops to keep these routes in. Anything for a buck these days, and at the employee's expense. We had three drivers taken off the road for heat exhaustion early the day after July 4th, the next PCM they were whining about our extra over allowed time while we are working in 100+ degree heat index.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
If the power went out because of a thunderstorm caused by the hot weather and you couldn't work because there was no lights or moving belts and you couldn't perform your job, should you still be paid for not working? To you my response was "ignorant". If you need assistance understanding this response I will be glad to help.
Absolutely, have been paid when the power has gone out, for hours. Deal with it.