UPS employee falls ill due to extreme heat

Super 9

If the power went out because of a thunderstorm caused by the hot weather and you couldn't work because there was no lights or moving belts and you couldn't perform your job, should you still be paid for not working? To you my response was "ignorant". If you need assistance understanding this response I will be glad to help.
Funny you say that because that happened to me last Friday, the lights got cut off and we got sent home with minimum 3.5 hours paid.

bellesmom

I have read this entire thread and I am appalled at your responses.
The only one I slightly agree with is,
anyone with a brain should know when they are getting ill.
Any true manager should know the conditions they are asking-(read as demanding)- employees to work under. UPS only provides the minimum required conditions to meet OSHA standards.
The malarkey about staying hydrated is the key to avoiding heat exhaustion is just that, Malarkey!
Hydration is just one of the four key factors in avoiding heat exhaustion that can lead quickly into heat stroke.
1. Hydration
Simply put drink a lot water.
2. Electrolytes
Drinking mass amount of water, sweating and urination depletes the electrolytes in ones body.
-( anyone that took an eight grade science course knows that all body functions from brain to muscle depend on an "electrical" signal)-
3. Shade
Simplistic term for allowing ones core body temp to cool down below the danger zone of over 102.
4. Rest
This is synonymous with shade in keeping ones core temp below the danger zone.

Words written on a sign just does not cut the muster.
How about teaching-( or learning)- that drinking only GatorAid, or any other electrolyte supplement, is a very dangerous overload of potassium that can mimic a heart attack and require hospitalization for it's adverse effects.
Basic rule of thumb is 1pint of GatorAid to 2 to3 pints of water.
You also posted this,
was this in response to a death? don't know, but it was a good step in the right direction
A good manager would-(should)- know that the previous steps taken were inadequate and make correct corrections.
Step up and learn what you are trying to sell.

I only have one addition to your great post. Alot of inside employees may be on medications making them more susceptible to the heat requiring them to rest and cool off more often. Reading the responses on this thread maybe we should just be taken out back and shot.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Wrong!
We have huge fans at my hub and heaters too. Klein, give it up you don't speak for all of us at UPS
:peaceful:

New Jersey and north of there, OSHA ? does not require the same ventilating systems that states in other areas recieve.

UPS does not have proper ventilation for 100 to 110 degree heat in the buildings up here.

Anyone could have easily suffered major heat related issues last week up here, I know I did personally. The building temperature was over 90 and the system which evacuates air/ventilates was NOT turned on, no bay doors were open.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Face the facts !!!!:

UPS is too cheap to have adequate cooling or heating in the winter.
Be it inside the BUildings or the Package Cars !
They don't believe in A/C / Heating for their employees comfort.
Simple as that !

Wrong!
We have huge fans at my hub and heaters too. Klein, give it up you don't speak for all of us at UPS
:peaceful:

The reality is that they do right square in the minimum.
They do no more than they have to.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
Yeah; you're right about one thing....You are done. But it seems as a human being, you never got started.
PS - Its going to be hot all summer, next summer the summer after that and the summer after that. I also believe its going to be hot every summer for the rest of your life. If you are going to work at UPS in the coming years and/or any other physically demanding job you are going to be HOT, period.

Your choices are:
Quit
Man UP
Women UP
take care of yourself before you come to work.

I'm done.

washington57

PS - Its going to be hot all summer, next summer the summer after that and the summer after that. I also believe its going to be hot every summer for the rest of your life. If you are going to work at UPS in the coming years and/or any other physically demanding job you are going to be HOT, period.

Your choices are:
Quit
Man UP
Women UP

I'm done.

Dragon, I agree with you on everything you just said. Thats life, toughen up and be prepared, you are gonna get hot.

However, I think that UPS could do more for its workers health when it gets hot. Like you said, it is gonna get hot year after year for the rest of your life, UPS also knows this as well. Some parts of UPS do a good job of preventing heat injuries but a lot do a bad job of it.I think any day it gets over 90 UPS should have all these things ready to use: all vents on and strategically opened bay doors, fans by trailers, fans over all work areas would help reduce alot of heat injuries.

From a cost side of it, isn't a little bit more overhead worth the costs in injuries and slower worker productivity.

Also, the employees will hate you that much less for it.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
This is a company that wont even put fans in the package cars, you think they care if we drop dead in the heat? I dont. I think if I die from the heat UPS will look at it as a plus and they will be able to replace me with a guy who wont make top rate for 3 years, it would be a money saver.

UPS is cheap alrighty, especially when it comes to climate control. They did find enough money in the budget to remove all our dash fans several years ago, citing that they were not "original equipment". This was just a few months after they installed the first diad dva's. Go figure. Funny how when it comes to surveillance technology, (diad, gps, telematics, orion) being "original equipment" never even comes into the picture, but dash fans, I mean hey we cant have those things in the trucks. They could be a fire hazard. Yeah right!

comtnbrown

Remember when It was told that we are, "Industrial Athletes". Well to this day most athletes would take numerous breaks to cool off, and hydrate in the extreme heat that some states are feeling. Anyway I found a website, Mike Ryan NFL sports medicine, with some good info on heat related injuries and how to avoid them. Also has info on just about any injury that we sustain as drivers, pre or re-load. Be wise, work wise, stay healthy.

menotyou

bella amicizia
We got one fan for the feeder after someone suffered heat stroke. Not before when it was obviously needed. And, as Klein stated, no heat in the winter when it's -40 below with a wind chill of -60. The bay doors have to be opened then to move trucks. Right when Preload first walks in. Nice way to start the day. The managers offices have heat and air conditioning, though. And the computer room.

pomf

It's a corporation run by the almighty dollar. They don't care about your well-being. Anyone here should know that. No company does; they only care about their bottom line and how to satisfy their stock holders wallet.

The company has 2.3 billion dollars in free cash flow this first half of the year alone. That should sum it all up right there.

Anyone who wants real change to have their buildings and package cars adequately ventilated should all stand up sign a petition and forward to our so called union leaders and have it explicitly stated in the contract for the future. Chances are that's not going to happen.

So, nothing will change and only self-awareness and human compassion from others will prevent this type of stuff.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

Your choices are:
Quit
Man UP
Women UP

I'm done.

LOL

I find it funny hearing these things from a person sitting in a A/C controlled room in front of a computer all day.
Thanks for the laugh

PS - Anything you leave in the breakroom fridge after Friday gets thrown away !! Know your role !

cach, its a crappy situation, but i think the only thing management should be on the hook for is not helping people be made aware of when they are reaching their limits.

Gee thats it? Gosh I`ve always been so hard on mgmt sometimes I`m so sorry. EXCEPT I believe it`s a member of management directing people to continue to work and push them to the limits as they are mostly dealing with part timers who, as proven time and again on BC, don`t know their rights from a hole in the ground. I bet they haven`t backed of the pph they expect out of these people as if it was 50 out and not 90 with a 115 heat index. And I`m sure theres been no threats of discipline for the pt who`s had enough and trys to sit down when they`re not on break. But hey. We senior hourlys carry some responsibility because I`m sure some of us don`t even consider teaching these pt`s what they`re allowed to do.

here in our hub, they do a great job. had the safety committee down our crosswalk holding signs about staying hydrated, etc. it's written on the big board for when the drivers are leaving as well, but anyone with a brain should know when they are getting ill. it was even written on the hub floor to stay hydrated. was this in response to a death? don't know, but it was a good step in the right direction

Wow holding up signs while the rest of the peons actually work. Here`s an idea. Get their butts patrolling the building with an upper management mandated authority to pull someone out of a load and make them sit down if they were observed in need of a break. Drag a cooler and take the water to the masses instead of the other way around. Report any sups needlessly pushing people past their limits. We have safety committee people like this too. They`re the ones sitting in the a/c offices making up flyers to stick into our sweaty hands to tell us to try and stay cool.

Your choices are:
Quit
Man UP
Women UP

True. Because Lord knows no one will look out for you once you`re there unless someone (OSHA) makes them. And God forbid you`re actually treated like a human being by human beings and have the dangerous work conditions recognized and have the planned day adjusted to compensate. Hell no. That would cost money or make our numbers look bad. Better to roll the dice and see if we can get it done without actually killing someone. As long as it is`nt a DART,right?

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
The only thing I have an issue with is proper ventilation.

I started loading feeders on midnight shift in January. I was 5'2 and 90 lbs and learned my work ethic busting my butt to stay warm. The heat wasn't too much for me in summer because it was midnight and I always had a fan available. I could not have done the same job on twilight. I knew this limitation and worked accordingly.

I drive in an area where the heat index reaches 110+. I know how to take care of my body and if I didn't I am reminded every once in a while during PCMs. I stay hydrated and get out of air-conditioned buildings as fast as I can. I take my lunch outside in the shade. These are things that help me. I pay attention to what my body is telling me and react accordingly, making adjustments as I can in my breaks in case I need a little down time. I have also taken an extra 10 or fifteen minutes on my own time as this is allowed by contract. My body is my tool. They are paying me for its usage. Maintenance is on my dime.

Our contract states that the use of fans in package cars are left up to individual districts. I did not realize this when I accepted the position driving. For years my cars always had a fan and I took it for granted, knowing full well that I cannot work in extreme heat without one. A few years ago some creep decided to cut costs by not replacing broken fans and went so far as to remove working fans from many cars. I don't know how the guys do it, but many of them are ok without a fan. At risk of being perceived as whining I will say that I am still only 5'2 and have to drive with the seat in the most forward position. No cross draft hits my body when traveling. It passes behind me. Anyway, I CAN'T work without something to move the air around a little. I had an understanding center manager and a couple of accommodating on-cars and have never been forced to work without a fan. It IS a safety issue. I think they've stopped the no-fan policy, but we do still have many cars without them. I go into work every day holding my breath until I see that my car is in place or has been replaced with one that has a fan. It's one of my most stressful times of day. Driving down the road in a dark metal box with no way to cool the sweat on my body is not an option. I will not put myself or the public at risk. I have been told I can be fired for refusing to drive a truck without a fan. IMO this is inhumane, so fire me and I will fight it tooth and nail. Maybe I'll lose, but I'll be safe and not rolling down the road dangling from my lap belt with my tongue hanging outta my mouth and my eyes rolled back in my head. The rest of my bros and sisters can tolerate whatever they choose, maybe they're getting some sorta cross-wind, I dunno. I only know my own limitations and I won't push them so far as to jeopardize my safety.

We really need to work on some more humane policies/language in the contract.

Saddle Crook

Your choices are:
Quit
Man UP
Women UP

I'm done.

You're related to Albert Einstein right? :happy2:

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
Work smart, not hard. Know what your body is telling you. And by all means DRINK WATER....... I have consumed as much as 2.5 gallons in a day, and never had to stop to pee... All coming out as sweat.

John19841

PS - Its going to be hot all summer, next summer the summer after that and the summer after that. I also believe its going to be hot every summer for the rest of your life.
PS - Peak comes every December, every year. I also believe its going to come every December for the rest of our lives.

Still catches management by surprise every year. They're not used to the sudden change in volume, our bodies aren't used to the sudden increase in temperature. Besides, what is work without a 'lil bi**hing here and there?

If you are going to work at UPS in the coming years and/or any other physically demanding job you are going to be HOT, period.
I understand we work outside and such and are subject to the elements, but our package cars are completely capable of being A/Ced as just about every vehicle produced today is. I honestly believe that within the next decade, they all will be. Reason is, the generation coming in now expects AC. They have grown up with it, it is everywhere. My parents never had AC in the house, roll the windows down in the car, etc. Now for me, I could not even imagine not having AC in the house....it just wouldn't be an option. Just like power steering, Auto's, etc....as they become more and more commonplace, they will be expected.

washington57

PS - Peak comes every December, every year. I also believe its going to come every December for the rest of our lives.

Still catches management by surprise every year. They're not used to the sudden change in volume, our bodies aren't used to the sudden increase in temperature. Besides, what is work without a 'lil bi**hing here and there?

I understand we work outside and such and are subject to the elements, but our package cars are completely capable of being A/Ced as just about every vehicle produced today is. I honestly believe that within the next decade, they all will be. Reason is, the generation coming in now expects AC. They have grown up with it, it is everywhere. My parents never had AC in the house, roll the windows down in the car, etc. Now for me, I could not even imagine not having AC in the house....it just wouldn't be an option. Just like power steering, Auto's, etc....as they become more and more commonplace, they will be expected.

Maybe in some places but I doubt it up in the NW. No one except the movie theater has A/C lol!