UPS Employees get to keep Rewards points???

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
When I started dating my spouse over 23 years ago, she traveled around 2 weeks out of every month auditing breweries and beer distributors nationwide for Miller Brewing. Always flew first class and stayed in the Marriotts and Hyatts. She was allowed to keep all the frequent flier miles and points racked up at the hotels. Our first five or six vacations to Hawaii were all taken via award points and cost us nothing out of pocket.
Then children and a promotion came along and the traveling for work stopped. Gotta pay my own way every year now.

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
Can you still take advantage of reward programs when you pay with a corporate credit card?

Yes, this includes points from fuel purchases too. Most places give free shower tokens after 50+ gallons, a $10 value. You can also exchange points for in store credit for anything in the store/shop.

The point system adds up fast, it's 1 point per gallon and 1 point per dollar spent inside. The point value (based on trade in for cash discount) is 1 point = 1 penny.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Nearly all companies allow their employees to keep points accrued from corporate-related expenses. Even Walmart reversed its position to this several years. In the Midwest we have a gas station chain called Speedway. At Speedway you accrue points for purchases -- most points are accrued for convenience items, some some points are awarded for fuel purchases. However, Speedway frequently offers huge bonus points if you make so many visits within a month. We have several drivers who are asked to fuel their own trucks, and they choose Speedway, with their own rewards card, and earn several hundred dollars in gift cards each year.

BrownSuit

Hoax - When was the last time you traveled for the company prior to your retirement? I'm thinking you were stuck up in the Ivory tower too long without a chance to go visit anybody.

Presently you are not supposed to book any hotels or airfare without going through the online portal and booking to your AMEX. I have traveled on behalf of the company and have never billed it to my personal card. I have still used perks, such as my frequent flier and hotel programs for each stay. I also generally use the same agency for rentals because I know that I can get upgrades and other perks for the rental.

There was also considerable noise some time back about using anything other than your AMEX for meals on the company's behalf. Other than the perks that might exist with keychain type rewards that you would receive regardless of payment method, I'm not aware of any rewards that one could receive doing business on the company's behalf.

The only time that anything other than the corporate issued card is allowed is when the vendor does not accept American Express.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
If you read through my earlier posts you would realize that your American Express card was issued with agreement to send all data to UPS.
If you want to, read through your AMEX agreement and you will find that the relationship is between you and AMEX and you are responsible for all payments charged on your card including late fees if you do not pay your bill on time.

upschuck

If you want to, read through your AMEX agreement and you will find that the relationship is between you and AMEX and you are responsible for all payments charged on your card including late fees if you do not pay your bill on time.
Again that is ridiculous, now you have to keep a million in your checking account to pay for your business expenses. :happy-very:

upschuck

Presently you are not supposed to book any hotels or airfare without going through the online portal and booking to your AMEX.
If you read through my earlier posts you would realize that your American Express card was issued with agreement to send all data to UPS.
Not to get this started again, but you did say UPS didn't have a way to facilitate/consolidate the rewards for frequent flier/hotel stays. tsk tsk.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Not to get this started again, but you did say UPS didn't have a way to facilitate/consolidate the rewards for frequent flier/hotel stays. tsk tsk.
You forgot the other post I made where I explained to you that the relationship with a Rewards provider is with the individual and not the payment source (AMEX).
It appears you do not belong to any rewards programs but if you did, you would realize the Rewards relationship is with you, not the credit card (payment method).

I think you are just being obstinate and difficult here ... this is not that hard to understand.

oldngray

nowhere special
You forgot the other post I made where I explained to you that the relationship with a Rewards provider is with the individual and not the payment source (AMEX).
It appears you do not belong to any rewards programs but if you did, you would realize the Rewards relationship is with you, not the credit card (payment method).

I think you are just being obstinate here ... this is not that hard to understand.

Aren't reward points 1st Amendment rights?

upschuck

A company is an individual, so I've heard.
Besides Krogers, and fuel, you are correct, if you want to call those rewards, but then again I am the ultimate source of those funds paying for said purchases.
I think you are just being obstinate here ... this is not that hard to understand.
I just don't see why employee should get rewards(at any company) if they are not paying(company ultimately pays for trips) for the reason for the rewards, that's all. The way it is now, I see it as part of the compensation of the job, and therefore should be part of the income earned, if used. I think you are just being obstinate here ... this is not that hard to understand. I guess we will agree to disagree

P.S. I bet if this was a new concept in business with no preconceived ideas, most people(unless they were getting these benefits) would agree with me.
P.P.S. Can you notify me if this gets 'heated'? I would hate for it to slip by me again.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I think you are just being obstinate here ... this is not that hard to understand. I guess we will agree to disagree

P.S. I bet if this was a new concept in business with no preconceived ideas, most people(unless they were getting these benefits) would agree with me.

P.P.S. Can you notify me if this gets 'heated'? I would hate for it to slip by me again.

You're damn right I'm obstinate ... and proud of it.

P.S. - agree with this but companies and vendors would have to incur costs to retrofit their existing processes and systems to accommodate the new company-Reward vendor relationship. Aslo, if this was to happen, the government would then step in and demand their extortion cut.

P.P.S. - LOL - perhaps you should let me know instead. I have enjoyed this exchange of ideas and because it never occurred to me that the government should extort more money from me or anyone else for that matter, I have never considered this before.
I understand your position more than before but I still must stand on my principle belief that I do not encourage the government getting any more involved with personal transactions.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Nearly all companies allow their employees to keep points accrued from corporate-related expenses. Even Walmart reversed its position to this several years. In the Midwest we have a gas station chain called Speedway. At Speedway you accrue points for purchases -- most points are accrued for convenience items, some some points are awarded for fuel purchases. However, Speedway frequently offers huge bonus points if you make so many visits within a month. We have several drivers who are asked to fuel their own trucks, and they choose Speedway, with their own rewards card, and earn several hundred dollars in gift cards each year.
Management. Who would have guessed? :wink2:

And drivers too it appears.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
So they are all tax evading cheats. :bigsmile2: Imagine that.
Only in specific cases and definitely not for the type we have been discussing:
http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/2012/01/31/reward-point-gifts-are-taxable-says-irs/

Depending on how you obtain them, rewards may be taxable as income, according to tax experts and the Internal Revenue Service. People who covet and collect rewards can rest easy. The traditional rewards points earned when making purchases with credit cards or debit cards are still tax-free.

"Rewards and airline miles that are provided in connection with a purchase on a credit card are routinely not subject to individual income tax reporting," ...

On the other hand, "When a customer receives a gift for opening a bank account -- whether cash, a toaster or airline miles -- the value of that gift is generally treated as income and subject to tax reporting. This is separate and distinct from miles or points earned by our credit card customers for their purchases," Collins says.