UPS finally says something and means it

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Not sure why everyone is surprised, one of the main reasons UPS has always left people out was the H&W expense they had by having extra drivers on the books. Ever since Saturday ground has been implemented, they’ve had to eat these costs and forced to put more drivers on.

So in closing, adding more routes during the week isn’t as expensive as it was pre Saturday ground.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
If they try this this in feeders you'll really see some crying.
Word was they’ve started a hour reduction in the feeder department here too. Makes sense though, all those loads coming off the rails need to be transported by someone. In true UPS fashion they’ll have more feeder drivers on the books then needed just like in package.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
If Saturday ground earns so much, why hold back retail? Send it all out.
In its current form it doesn’t, i think his point was more along the lines of UPS needing more drivers, so we might as well have routes for them to do.

Last edited:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Word was they’ve started a hour reduction in the feeder department here too. Makes sense though, all those loads coming off the rails need to be transported by someone. In true UPS fashion they’ll have more feeder drivers on the books then needed just like in package.
They've got their work cut out for them, I knew some slugs in package but no one can drop anchor like a feeder driver. These guys live for 60 hours weeks.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
If Saturday ground earns so much, why hold back retail? Send it all out.
I can actually answer that, UPS is cherry picking what goes out and what doesn’t. It’s an effort to get shippers to pay more for Saturday delivery who have discounts that don’t make it profitable. Amazon has been upgrading a lot of their packages to 2 day Saturday ever since UPS has restricted flow on Saturday

This isn’t speculative.

WorknLateHuh

It is very strange seeing this take shape, no doubt. This job could almost be cosidered a normal 9 to 5 job now lol. i love it

I was one of them saying, “the overtime will never stop, like a never-ending avalanche of work”

Here we have drivers begging to go to other centers to scrape up overtime

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I can actually answer that, UPS is cherry picking what goes out and what doesn’t. It’s an effort to get shippers to pay more for Saturday delivery who have discounts that don’t make it profitable. Amazon has been upgrading a lot of their packages to 2 day Saturday ever since UPS has restricted flow on Saturday

This isn’t speculative.
My center is making the delivery choice for Saturday based on Monday. They hold back based on what routes they need for pickups.

rod

Retired 22 years
I'm curious how much the public is suffering from poor service because of the cuts in overtime. Something has to give somewhere. Has UPS doubled its work force and how could they--nobody wants to work for them anymore.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
I love it 8 hr day. Home with the family . Here's an idea budget people.
So what part of the country do you live in....after calculating an accurate cost of living adjustment to your area it would be interesting to see if it truly is as easy as you say. If $37 in the Bay Area truly is the appropriate wage what do you think it would be in your area. Let’s say $20 an hour, perhaps then you’d feel differently.

Last edited:

JustDeliverIt

They rolled this out here about 6 to 8 weeks ago and it's still going. Have to say I love it.
I'm also wondering if this is in an effort to retain employees as much as it's a cost per package thing. We are hiring off the street for any position. It seems like we hire 10 and 11 quit. Wondering if a more manageable work day will enable them to keep more employees that constantly training new hires. Just a thought.

ManInBrown

Two things make me laugh about this. First was everyone’s initial reaction of “not gonna happen here, we’re a dumpster fire already etc....”, secondly is how even the bravest of faces start to change after a few weeks of 40 hour checks.

This will certainly put into motion a few things one of which will be the national pay scale. Never before has it been more of a topic out west, that I can tell you.
What do you mean by “national pay scale”