UPS focuses alot on their "belief" that their drivers try to "steal" time

moldsporh

Long but bear with me.

Over the past, maybe 15 years, we went from backup cameras to in-car cameras, with Orion in the middle.

Over those years, I've seen nothing but the same, determined, ethical delivery drivers, get told they basically aren't doing enough, manipulating the clock, need more work, etc.

UPS has implemented systems to monitor this activity to acquire more tools or "data" for discipline.

What have we learned?

We have learned that UPS put in routes from 8-9.5 hrs planned (I know, this isn't factual) and disciplined accordingly.

Now these same routes, with more pedestrians, more traffic, more congestion, driveways that are the same length, now have on average 30% more work for an 8-9.5 hr plan. So your old 9.5 plan route is now 11 hrs in maybe circa 2005 standards....those were peak runs with a helper.

We are still being looked at like we are scum if we can't del 220 stops in 9 hrs.

I'm fine with integrity, but not fine with the lack of integrity of management. Yes, this has been the norm for 20+ years, I'm stating the obvious.

So while we continue to stomp our "boots on the ground" (no pun) we cater to threats like Amazon and find ways to lose big customer accounts.

What is UPS really thinking? Are these lost customers going to come pleading, crying at their knees for our service again at a higher cost? Nope, they will find the cheapest and timely way to move their product if possible.

How many accounts have we lost from pre-covid to now, and what does our stock price look like, why aren't we doing more?

We can move products more efficiently, with a more realistic work load, improve customer relations.

You can only load a horse so much until they collapse, an animal that will work itself to death without complaint.

Yeah, we have knuckleheads that work the system, they are a very small percentage.

We now have a system in place to monitor every motion a driver makes, and will only slow work production down for the interest of job security.

You will get more out of a human when integrity and ethics reciprocate.

So with that said.....I look back before the strike, and how we have changed since then.

UPS is still bitter, and has become the epitome of a "hold over".

We have gone from management working with drivers and taking care of them, to looking at drivers in the sense of criminals.

This does not reflect all management, I get that, but upper management I hold no reservations.

I think of this, read articles like this, and ask....what are we trying to accomplish?

I'm not overly concerned, but still slightly perplexed as to why we don't put our employees and customers first.

We have put the cookies in the jar for management to gather around and feast like giddy school kids with all their monitoring tactics.

Let the drivers make human decisions based on the daily changing scenario, worry about the knuckleheads individually.

Stop trying to fire a driver for not folding in a mirror, or improperly using a handcart, etc.

Take a step back, look, and appreciate what you have.

Last edited:

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Long but bear with me.

Over the past, maybe 15 years, we went from backup cameras to in-car cameras, with Orion in the middle.

Over those years, I've seen nothing but the same, determined, ethical delivery drivers, get told they basically aren't doing enough, manipulating the clock, need more work, etc.

UPS has implemented systems to monitor this activity to acquire more tools or "data" for discipline.

What have we learned?

We have learned that UPS put in routes from 8-9.5 hrs planned (I know, this isn't factual) and disciplined accordingly.

Now these same routes, with more pedestrians, more traffic, more congestion, driveways that are the same length, now have on average 30% more work for an 8-9.5 hr plan. So your old 9.5 plan route is now 11 hrs in maybe circa 2005 standards....those were peak runs with a helper.

We are still being looked at like we are scum if we can't del 220 stops in 9 hrs.

I'm fine with integrity, but not fine with the lack of integrity of management. Yes, this has been the norm for 20+ years, I'm stating the obvious.

So while we continue to stomp our "boots on the ground" (no pun) we cater to threats like Amazon and find ways to lose big customer accounts.

What is UPS really thinking? Are these lost customers going to come pleading, crying at their knees for our service again at a higher cost? Nope, they will find the cheapest and timely way to move their product if possible.

How many accounts have we lost from pre-covid to now, and what does our stock price look like, why aren't we doing more?

We can move products more efficiently, with a more realistic work load, improve customer relations.

You can only load a horse so much until they collapse, an animal that will work itself to death without complaint.

Yeah, we have knuckleheads that work the system, they are a very small percentage.

We now have a system in place to monitor every motion a driver makes, and will only slow work production down for the interest of job security.

So with that said.....I look back before the strike, and how we have changed since then.

We have gone from management working with drivers and taking care of them, to looking at drivers on the sense of criminals.

This does not reflect all management, I get that, but upper management I hold no reservations.

I think of this, read articles like this, and ask....what are we trying to accomplish?

I'm not overly concerned, but still slightly perplexed as to why we don't put our employees and customers first.

We have put the cookies in the jar for management to gather around and feast like giddy school kids with all their monitoring tactics.

Let the drivers make human decisions based on the daily changing scenario, worry about the knuckleheads individually.

Stop trying to fire a driver for not folding in a mirror, or improperly using a handcart, etc.

Take a step back, and look what you have.
Lots of good points and well written. Unfortunately I don’t believe anything will change anytime soon. Can’t even properly staff operations and they still try to intimidate and harass as a production tactic. The only way IMO things will get better is if we all come together as Teamsters and enforce the contract to a T with no complaint and the sacrifices that would mean for some. Went through some stuff in our center lately, center manager shoulda been canned, but he just gets moved, they can’t get management either anymore!

moldsporh

My issue is,....

Let's bring a driver in and talk to him/her about the multiple "distraction violations" from taking a sip of water while driving. In a boiling hot cab, in 95 deg ambient heat. Then pick up the phone and cancel service on a customer's account.

What's the deal?

Does our CEO realize we primarily offer a "service"?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
And we wonder why no one wants to drive or work here lol
Long but bear with me.

What have we learned?

We have gone from management working with drivers and taking care of them, to looking at drivers in the sense of criminals.

Sixth Punch Sense

Long but bear with me.

What have we learned?

In my opinion all of this is to get top rate drivers to quit or fired. 22.4's are so much cheaper and have zero protection. All about the bottom line.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Long but bear with me.

What have we learned?

How about a TLDR version

meritocracy

In my opinion all of this is to get top rate drivers to quit or fired. 22.4's are so much cheaper and have zero protection. All about the bottom line.
This is why you've gotta cover your ass. Don't get lazy just because you've got a lot of seniority. That seniority means you're expensive and they'd love to replace you with someone cheaper.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
This is why you've gotta cover your ass. Don't get lazy just because you've got a lot of seniority. That seniority means you're expensive and they'd love to replace you with someone cheaper.
At one time drivers with a ton of seniority were given some slack by the company, no more. They DGAF about anyone.

meritocracy

But they have to replace the RPCD with RPCD
True but bottom rate RPCD is a lot cheaper than top rate RPCD. Also they aren't making more RPCD jobs they're making more 22.4 jobs. As the company scales up with e-commerce and they have to hire more drivers, the ratio of 22.4 to RPCD will keep increasing.

Big Rigger

The bid drivers relationship with their customers typically was the glue that kept the company's customer base solid...prior to the strike. Now the company foolishly thinks (or doesn't care) that the drivers are expendable and that the customer won't care if they never see their favorite UPS driver "Bill" again.

It's a disposable world.

But like the old farmer who ran low on oats to feed his plow horse and mixed sawdust in with the oats as filler to get by the company will find out that their horse will eventually get sick and die because even though they have record profits they disrespect the horses that dedicate their lives to serve the customer and the pride that comes with those cultivated relationships. When the company makes it impossible for drivers to be a cordial human being then the customer will no longer care about whether their drivers wear brown, blue, or purple.

It's a recipe for disaster and they don't seem to care because that generation is gone.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
True but bottom rate RPCD is a lot cheaper than top rate RPCD. Also they aren't making more RPCD jobs they're making more 22.4 jobs. As the company scales up with e-commerce and they have to hire more drivers, the ratio of 22.4 to RPCD will keep increasing.
Right. And the bottom of the barrel people they are hiring for those positions don’t have an ounce of professionalism. They are shooting themselves in the foot and are doing so willingly to save a dollar.

Over70irregs

Long but bear with me.

What have we learned?

Just file and accept direct deposit. They want 9AM starts lv center after 9:30 let their stuff be late. Page in 9.5 status daily. My job became easier with this acceptance.

rod

Retired 22 years
A very old (in his mid 80's now) retired UPS driver once asked our Center Manager why UPS only hires thieves and liars. center manager asked him what he meant. He said well from the second a person punches in in the morning to the second he punches out at night you guys accuse him of stealing time and then when he tells you what a crappy day hes had you say he is lying.

Last edited:

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
:censored2:, why you guys always stressing. Get your financial life in order and realize what a sweet gig you have. You don’t have to be the best, you just gotta be better than the worst.

Nowadays, you can get in the top
50% just showing up

Big Rigger

:censored2:, why you guys always stressing. Get your financial life in order and realize what a sweet gig you have. You don’t have to be the best, you just gotta be better than the worst.

Nowadays, you can get in the top
50% just showing up
There was an awesome fifteen year driver who just quit here. He bought his dad's combi vehicle. He's running across country and back for $10,000.00 a trip. It takes a week. Do that for a few years, pay off your house, and find something else that you really want to do.
There's easier money outside of the company if you want to give it up.

Poop Head

Judge me.
There was an awesome fifteen year driver who just quit here. He bought his dad's combi vehicle. He's running across country and back for $10,000.00 a trip. It takes a week. Do that for a few years, pay off your house, and find something else that you really want to do.
There's easier money outside of the company if you want to give it up.
I think im gonna advertise my gynecology practice on facebook. Time to take the plunge.