UPS focuses alot on their "belief" that their drivers try to "steal" time

Overpaid Union Thug

Things will get worse as our new “woke” CEO continues to drive the company farther into the septic tank. The more accounts we lose the more they’ll critique our telematics looking for “stealing time” infractions.

WTFm8

Terminating drivers at my center for driving to use a restroom and put in a break/take a lunch… most times less then a mile.

Claiming stealing time because they don’t clock out as soon as they stop complete then aren’t clocked out till they’re back in trace.

Say bathroom has to happen on break time only if not at a business that you’re delivering to… even on routes that don’t have many businesses.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Things will get worse as our new “woke” CEO continues to drive the company farther into the septic tank. The more accounts we lose the more they’ll critique our telematics looking for “stealing time” infractions.
I just don't understand why they brought in an outsider?

UPS does not trust their own management? working up through the ranks?

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.
It’s a beautiful thing to have a strong local. I don’t have to take anywhere near the amount of :censored2: I read about on here.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
A very old (in his mid 80's now) retired UPS driver once asked our Center Manager why UPS only hires thieves and liars. center manager asked him what he meant. He said well from the second a person punches in in the morning to the second he punches out at night you guys accuse him of stealing time and then when he tells you what a crappy day hes had you say he is lying.
Appears quite a few bloviators on this sight are "stealing time" by posting their drivel while working.

JoesUPSacct

Swollen Member
Terminating drivers at my center for driving to use a restroom and put in a break/take a lunch… most times less then a mile.

Claiming stealing time because they don’t clock out as soon as they stop complete then aren’t clocked out till they’re back in trace.

Say bathroom has to happen on break time only if not at a business that you’re delivering to… even on routes that don’t have many businesses.
pretty sure federal law disagrees with that position

Buffet Master

FEEDAH FATTY
If you aren't getting $7K plus at a minimum one way coast to coast, you definitely are not making killer money lol. 10K round trip isn't great. You also can't legally log a coast to coast round in 70 hours. 7 days is doable cooking the books certainly, but you aren't going to keep doing that back to back to back.
I'm assuming it's an older truck that supercedes the ELD mandate which allows for running hot, but you have to double your maintenance costs running older equipment. Being an O/O ain't easy, I can tell you that from experience.

Big Rigger

If you aren't getting $7K plus at a minimum one way coast to coast, you definitely are not making killer money lol. 10K round trip isn't great. You also can't legally log a coast to coast round in 70 hours. 7 days is doable cooking the books certainly, but you aren't going to keep doing that back to back to back.
I'm assuming it's an older truck that supercedes the ELD mandate which allows for running hot, but you have to double your maintenance costs running older equipment. Being an O/O ain't easy, I can tell you that from experience.
No one said it was "coast to coast" and that's a minimum one way plus backhauls. Cooking the books happens every day. Running one trip, I didn't say round trip, at $10,000.00 per trip is killer money with very little stress compared to package car imo. He's young and able to run the maximum with an eld easily for several years if he wants to and he was a very able bodied ups driver.
The point was that people, and especially young employees will leave for other opportunities with a whole lot less stress vs 200 stops a day under the scrutiny of some 22 yr old computer whiz who can't drive a manual transmission nor can they parallel park a step van.

I DSD'd chain stores having my own authority for years and the money is much better now than ever without mentioning the absence of the stress of big brother who can and will permanently fire you for being slightly over the speed limit prior to an unavoidable accident on a feeder type schedule of just point A to point B.

I'll probably never forget the feeder driver that was slightly over the speed limit after coming down a grade on an on ramp and after he merged into traffic a vehicle with a couple of young kids ran through an intersection stop light and under his truck killing the driver. The kid was found to be at fault for running the stop light but the ups driver was fired for being slightly over the speed limit.

Pick your poison but working somewhere that no matter who is found guilty by law after an accident the ups driver will almost without doubt be found guilty by their boss. Wonder why drivers quit? Sometimes wearing brown and all the bennies that are associated with it doesn't matter to people who, at the least, don't feel appreciated in their job. The fear factor does not garner company loyalty.

Jakamoe

I work for teamsters, UPS contracted me
True but bottom rate RPCD is a lot cheaper than top rate RPCD. Also they aren't making more RPCD jobs they're making more 22.4 jobs. As the company scales up with e-commerce and they have to hire more drivers, the ratio of 22.4 to RPCD will keep increasing.
22.4 are full time employees. If they get promoted to rpcd they go to top rate immediately, so long as they've reached the 4 year progression. They'd have to fire not only the rpcd driver but 25% of their drivers (22.4s allowed) to get to someone whose fresh in pay scale. Full time employees don't start over in progression switching full time jobs.

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat

1626387478958.jpg

Blazian81

Long but bear with me.

Over the past, maybe 15 years, we went from backup cameras to in-car cameras, with Orion in the middle.

Over those years, I've seen nothing but the same, determined, ethical delivery drivers, get told they basically aren't doing enough, manipulating the clock, need more work, etc.

UPS has implemented systems to monitor this activity to acquire more tools or "data" for discipline.

What have we learned?

We have learned that UPS put in routes from 8-9.5 hrs planned (I know, this isn't factual) and disciplined accordingly.

Now these same routes, with more pedestrians, more traffic, more congestion, driveways that are the same length, now have on average 30% more work for an 8-9.5 hr plan. So your old 9.5 plan route is now 11 hrs in maybe circa 2005 standards....those were peak runs with a helper.

We are still being looked at like we are scum if we can't del 220 stops in 9 hrs.

I'm fine with integrity, but not fine with the lack of integrity of management. Yes, this has been the norm for 20+ years, I'm stating the obvious.

So while we continue to stomp our "boots on the ground" (no pun) we cater to threats like Amazon and find ways to lose big customer accounts.

What is UPS really thinking? Are these lost customers going to come pleading, crying at their knees for our service again at a higher cost? Nope, they will find the cheapest and timely way to move their product if possible.

How many accounts have we lost from pre-covid to now, and what does our stock price look like, why aren't we doing more?

We can move products more efficiently, with a more realistic work load, improve customer relations.

You can only load a horse so much until they collapse, an animal that will work itself to death without complaint.

Yeah, we have knuckleheads that work the system, they are a very small percentage.

We now have a system in place to monitor every motion a driver makes, and will only slow work production down for the interest of job security.

You will get more out of a human when integrity and ethics reciprocate.

So with that said.....I look back before the strike, and how we have changed since then.

UPS is still bitter, and has become the epitome of a "hold over".

We have gone from management working with drivers and taking care of them, to looking at drivers in the sense of criminals.

This does not reflect all management, I get that, but upper management I hold no reservations.

I think of this, read articles like this, and ask....what are we trying to accomplish?

I'm not overly concerned, but still slightly perplexed as to why we don't put our employees and customers first.

We have put the cookies in the jar for management to gather around and feast like giddy school kids with all their monitoring tactics.

Let the drivers make human decisions based on the daily changing scenario, worry about the knuckleheads individually.

Stop trying to fire a driver for not folding in a mirror, or improperly using a handcart, etc.

Take a step back, look, and appreciate what you have.
well written , it can only work if they have the work force ha!!! Amazon's Solution to Delivery Driver Shortage: Recruit Pot Smokers

moldsporh

How about a TLDR version

Ok whatever I admit you lost me in that huge wall of rambling text.

Good thing we have EDD. :)

In my semi drunken stupor, I'll give my best effort at Cliff Notes.

UPS seems to constantly add some type of monitoring device or technology, to further feel they can point the finger at the driver for reduced production. At the same time, the driver has been given an increased workload with a consistent, negatively offsetting time allowance.

So while your 9 hour plan has stayed at a 9 hour plan, your workload has increased on average 30% and they spend money to prove that you are not producing either by stealing time or not following M&P's (Methods and procedures)

Just file and accept direct deposit. They want 9AM starts lv center after 9:30 let their stuff be late. Page in 9.5 status daily. My job became easier with this acceptance.

If that's for me, it's not a 9.5 issue with me and I get the 9.5 grievance.

I used the plan day to reference how we are doing a substantially higher workload for their unchanging planned day.

:censored2:, why you guys always stressing. Get your financial life in order and realize what a sweet gig you have. You don’t have to be the best, you just gotta be better than the worst.

Nowadays, you can get in the top
50% just showing up
I agree we have a decent job. My issue is mgmt goes after drivers for their "belief" of a driver's lack of production or integrity when at the same time changed their route time standards to only allow for added work to stay under a 9.5 plan but in reality equate to over a 10.5 hour plan.

Something is wrong in your center when a driver has to be off the clock to operate a company vehicle on a public road.....or operate the vehicle entirely.

Any prior discipline for coming in early and working off the clock?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Long but bear with me.

Over the past, maybe 15 years, we went from backup cameras to in-car cameras, with Orion in the middle.

Over those years, I've seen nothing but the same, determined, ethical delivery drivers, get told they basically aren't doing enough, manipulating the clock, need more work, etc.

UPS has implemented systems to monitor this activity to acquire more tools or "data" for discipline.

What have we learned?

We have learned that UPS put in routes from 8-9.5 hrs planned (I know, this isn't factual) and disciplined accordingly.

Now these same routes, with more pedestrians, more traffic, more congestion, driveways that are the same length, now have on average 30% more work for an 8-9.5 hr plan. So your old 9.5 plan route is now 11 hrs in maybe circa 2005 standards....those were peak runs with a helper.

We are still being looked at like we are scum if we can't del 220 stops in 9 hrs.

I'm fine with integrity, but not fine with the lack of integrity of management. Yes, this has been the norm for 20+ years, I'm stating the obvious.

So while we continue to stomp our "boots on the ground" (no pun) we cater to threats like Amazon and find ways to lose big customer accounts.

What is UPS really thinking? Are these lost customers going to come pleading, crying at their knees for our service again at a higher cost? Nope, they will find the cheapest and timely way to move their product if possible.

How many accounts have we lost from pre-covid to now, and what does our stock price look like, why aren't we doing more?

We can move products more efficiently, with a more realistic work load, improve customer relations.

You can only load a horse so much until they collapse, an animal that will work itself to death without complaint.

Yeah, we have knuckleheads that work the system, they are a very small percentage.

We now have a system in place to monitor every motion a driver makes, and will only slow work production down for the interest of job security.

You will get more out of a human when integrity and ethics reciprocate.

So with that said.....I look back before the strike, and how we have changed since then.

UPS is still bitter, and has become the epitome of a "hold over".

We have gone from management working with drivers and taking care of them, to looking at drivers in the sense of criminals.

This does not reflect all management, I get that, but upper management I hold no reservations.

I think of this, read articles like this, and ask....what are we trying to accomplish?

I'm not overly concerned, but still slightly perplexed as to why we don't put our employees and customers first.

We have put the cookies in the jar for management to gather around and feast like giddy school kids with all their monitoring tactics.

Let the drivers make human decisions based on the daily changing scenario, worry about the knuckleheads individually.

Stop trying to fire a driver for not folding in a mirror, or improperly using a handcart, etc.

Take a step back, look, and appreciate what you have.
And now, a Wallation™ condensed version:

For over a decade now, UPS has been using technology to speed up production and to monitor drivers. Management is never satisfied. Push, push, push.

At the same time we are losing accounts. Shipping want cheap.

You treat employees like criminals and you will get bad employees. The customers suffer as well.