UPS focuses alot on their "belief" that their drivers try to "steal" time

MrBates

Long but bear with me.

Over the past, maybe 15 years, we went from backup cameras to in-car cameras, with Orion in the middle.

Over those years, I've seen nothing but the same, determined, ethical delivery drivers, get told they basically aren't doing enough, manipulating the clock, need more work, etc.

UPS has implemented systems to monitor this activity to acquire more tools or "data" for discipline.

What have we learned?

We have learned that UPS put in routes from 8-9.5 hrs planned (I know, this isn't factual) and disciplined accordingly.

Now these same routes, with more pedestrians, more traffic, more congestion, driveways that are the same length, now have on average 30% more work for an 8-9.5 hr plan. So your old 9.5 plan route is now 11 hrs in maybe circa 2005 standards....those were peak runs with a helper.

We are still being looked at like we are scum if we can't del 220 stops in 9 hrs.

I'm fine with integrity, but not fine with the lack of integrity of management. Yes, this has been the norm for 20+ years, I'm stating the obvious.

So while we continue to stomp our "boots on the ground" (no pun) we cater to threats like Amazon and find ways to lose big customer accounts.

What is UPS really thinking? Are these lost customers going to come pleading, crying at their knees for our service again at a higher cost? Nope, they will find the cheapest and timely way to move their product if possible.

How many accounts have we lost from pre-covid to now, and what does our stock price look like, why aren't we doing more?

We can move products more efficiently, with a more realistic work load, improve customer relations.

You can only load a horse so much until they collapse, an animal that will work itself to death without complaint.

Yeah, we have knuckleheads that work the system, they are a very small percentage.

We now have a system in place to monitor every motion a driver makes, and will only slow work production down for the interest of job security.

You will get more out of a human when integrity and ethics reciprocate.

So with that said.....I look back before the strike, and how we have changed since then.

UPS is still bitter, and has become the epitome of a "hold over".

We have gone from management working with drivers and taking care of them, to looking at drivers in the sense of criminals.

This does not reflect all management, I get that, but upper management I hold no reservations.

I think of this, read articles like this, and ask....what are we trying to accomplish?

I'm not overly concerned, but still slightly perplexed as to why we don't put our employees and customers first.

We have put the cookies in the jar for management to gather around and feast like giddy school kids with all their monitoring tactics.

Let the drivers make human decisions based on the daily changing scenario, worry about the knuckleheads individually.

Stop trying to fire a driver for not folding in a mirror, or improperly using a handcart, etc.

Take a step back, look, and appreciate what you have.
I have NEVER seen any Teamster fired for production. Work the same exact pace that's comfortable for you, sort on the clock, follow their methods and let them know the pick ups will come back late. Collect $$$. See you at your retirement party.

oldngray

nowhere special
I have NEVER seen any Teamster fired for production. Work the same exact pace that's comfortable for you, sort on the clock, follow their methods and let them know the pick ups will come back late. Collect $$$. See you at your retirement party.
They don't fire you for production but you get put on their list to find another excuse.

Overpaid Union Thug

There have been some production-based terminations. The only ones that stuck were cases where drivers we’re proven to show drastically different “numbers” while working alone compared to riding with supervisors. It’s rare though.

oldngray

nowhere special
There have been some production-based terminations. The only ones that stuck were cases where drivers we’re proven to show drastically different “numbers” while working alone compared to riding with supervisors. It’s rare though.
If a sup is with you just make sure to follow all the methods and take no shortcuts and it is easy to take a lot longer. Amazing how much worse my numbers were when I had a rider.

Overpaid Union Thug

If a sup is with you just make sure to follow all the methods and take no shortcuts and it is easy to take a lot longer. Amazing how much worse my numbers were when I had a rider.
I’ve never had a production ride. I was told my numbers (good or bad as they are) are always consistent over time.

I did have a ride along back when ORION was first implemented because i was going way over the planned miles due to the solution being unsafe at times. Was told my methods were good but I had went over the planned miles AND was over two hours “over allowed” even though I had a sup on board. That didn’t end well for that sup. They’ve not rode with me since.

oldngray

nowhere special
I’ve never had a production ride. I was told my numbers (good or bad as they are) are always consistent over time.

I did have a ride along back when ORION was first implemented because i was going way over the planned miles due to the solution being unsafe at times. Was told my methods were good but I had went over the planned miles AND was over two hours “over allowed” even though I had a sup on board. That didn’t end well for that sup. They’ve not rode with me since.
I never had a "production" ride. I did have a couple for "methods". UPS just couldn't call it what it was really for. I was running a garbage route with screwed up allowances and they wouldn't admit the allowances were wrong.

Overpaid Union Thug

I never had a "production" ride. I did have a couple for "methods". UPS just couldn't call it what it was really for. I was running a garbage route with screwed up allowances and they wouldn't admit the allowances were wrong.
We had a district manager who had a policy that dictated that any driver over allowed more than two hours would get a ride along from an On Car. That turned into one big harassment case.

Last edited:

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
“late start” is what you say regarding any kind of discipline with production. Very simple guys

supervisor: you ran over an hr yesterday
@MECH-lift: late start

::supervisor disappears::

🧔✊

Nah
Terminating drivers at my center for driving to use a restroom and put in a break/take a lunch… most times less then a mile.

Claiming stealing time because they don’t clock out as soon as they stop complete then aren’t clocked out till they’re back in trace.

Say bathroom has to happen on break time only if not at a business that you’re delivering to… even on routes that don’t have many businesses.
OSHA would love to have a word with your manager.

What'dyabringmetoday???

There was an awesome fifteen year driver who just quit here. He bought his dad's combi vehicle. He's running across country and back for $10,000.00 a trip. It takes a week. Do that for a few years, pay off your house, and find something else that you really want to do.
There's easier money outside of the company if you want to give it up.
Yeah- ok.