UPS For Life

Hangingon

Can't remember where I read it, but someone here once said no one at UPS was hired with a bad attitude, we learned it on job.

H

happy go lucky

i really have a pretty positive attitude. i'm just getting ticked about the stock price because i have a huge investment in it - which ups sort of forced on me.

i suggest you tune out the employee ownership stuff and enjoy the people you work with and the activity that you seem to like. that way you won't have to take any of the problems home with you when you leave work. good to hear from you!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
You could say that!!!

Wouldn't really know where to begin...

Didn't meet him on this particular site, we met in the hub. How romantic is that!!??!!

My managers weren't allowed to attend our wedding as he is a union member....

I think you should start a thread, or if not maybe I will. We need a happy thread, like how you met the love of your life. Maybe only us girls will like it, but I bet a few of the guys would too, come on you can do it.

M

Mitch Kumsteen

I am with ya!! Been here for 1 1/2 years driving and I really enjoy it. Was a street hire with many years in delivery business. Smile at the customer, greet them, and thank them. That is how we keep the business. I really like our benefits, nowhere else could I get this kind of coverage for my family. Now just waiting for one more year to roll around and I will be at top pay!!

govols019

You smell that?
Or you should start one! Tell us the story!!

No need in starting a new thread. I’ll just hit the high points here.

I was delivering to a school and as I was removing the boxes from my two-wheeler I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turn around to see the first girl I ever kissed . That kiss was close to 30 years ago but I never forgot it or her. We hadn’t seen each other in about 15 years but she was still the most beautiful thing I’d ever seen. I struggled through our short conversation that day with the hope that she wouldn’t see me sweat or notice how nervous I was. I got back in my package car kicking myself for not asking at least for her phone number.

About a week later I was on a different route that serviced her parents dental lab. While I was delivering their stuff I, as casually as I could, mentioned that I had ran into their daughter last week. Her mother gave me a little smile and said they already knew that because she had mentioned it to them. She said she had seemed excited to see me again and that I should giver her a call. I got back in my package car walking on air.

The next few days I just happened to have a mis-load for her school. Wonder how that happened? :biggrin: I finally got the courage up to ask for her phone number and we went out that weekend.

We were married in Destin, FL last weekend.

DS

Fenderbender
You are not your job.
I disagree.Your job speaks volumes about who you are.
I have people looking down on me all the time because
I`m just the courier,but I know if I can do the job,stay fit,
and make $70,000 a year while they are sitting in front of a computer getting fat,and making a lot less,I`m better off than they are.
You are young,you dont know it but you will change your
opinions on lots of things over the years,so before you make any rash decisions just realize theres no hurry...relax

satellitedriver

I was delivering to a school and as I was removing the boxes from my two-wheeler I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turn around to see the first girl I ever kissed . That kiss was close to 30 years ago but I never forgot it or her. We hadn’t seen each other in about 15 years but she was still the most beautiful thing I’d ever seen. I struggled through our short conversation that day with the hope that she wouldn’t see me sweat or notice how nervous I was. I got back in my package car kicking myself for not asking at least for her phone number.

About a week later I was on a different route that serviced her parents dental lab. While I was delivering their stuff I, as casually as I could, mentioned that I had ran into their daughter last week. Her mother gave me a little smile and said they already knew that because she had mentioned it to them. She said she had seemed excited to see me again and that I should giver her a call. I got back in my package car walking on air.

The next few days I just happened to have a mis-load for her school. Wonder how that happened? :biggrin: I finally got the courage up to ask for her phone number and we went out that weekend.

I hope you will be as happy as Lu and I are today. Our eyes met 32 yrs ago and have never been apart(mind or heart)since then.

satellitedriver

Hi everybody. I was reading through the forums and it seems like working at UPS is portrayed as a bad career choice. But I disagree. I started at UPS at 18 and I'm 20 now. I went to college a while but it just wasn't for me. I'm more of an active person and I actually enjoy my job and I feel satisfaction and pride working hard and doing a good job like when I was in the unload finishing trailers in 30 min even though the target was 45-60min.

Now I'm working as a belt tender about 30 hours pt at UPS as well as 30 hours at another factory type job with the same requirements(lifting heavy boxes, fast paced, etc). I've also done pretty much every inside union job there is on every shift( when i first started, ups was my only job so i worked a lot of triple shifts). So I don't see why you guys always say its so rough on your body or the hours. Once im ft at UPS i can quit my other job and still make decent money for less work. And i know you are going to say its because im young but my grandfather lived to be 98 and my father is 51 right now and still doing this type of work with no problems/complaints.

I've also had a lot of good times at work and I lood forward to going to work not leaving. I've also made a lot of friends that i now spend time with outside of work. So I'm just saying to anyone portraying this as a bad job, that it may not for everyone but for those that can work here it is great.
Welcome,
Going on 21yrs at UPS and 54 yrs old with no problems/complaints. But, I chose to work at UPS, even with having an education. It has been a great life choice. I agree with CANON's post. An education gives you the ability to choose. Without one, your choices become very limited.
Choose wisely.

Cementups

Box Monkey

I wouldn't usually say it, but that is a beautiful story. :thumbup1:

Any sories that start, "I never thought this would happen to me, but here goes..."?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
See I knew it could happen!
I think stories are so important. It separates what we do for a living to why we live.

I hope you and your bride have all the happiness you waited so long to find and is so deserved.

I met my husband when I was 16, he was all I ever thought of for years. We were always friends, but never lovers.
I had a 68 charger and he had a 68 coronet, and every time he wanted to race, guess who won?

He taught me how to shoot a gun, guess who won? I still ahve the pic of him looking at it to see why he couldnt shoot one can and I got all 6?

He rode a harley, and I would follow him around and take pics, and I still have them all. he would ride his bikes in the winter!! and I have fabulous pics from a 110 camera if you can believe it.
Well as fate would have it we were just friends and his life took him all over the country, and I just stayed here. But it was like deja vue, I wouldnt see him for yrs, then one day I heard this car, while I was sitting having coffee with my Mom, and there he was, outside the window driving by. I just felt him there, and he was.
Id see him a while we would chat, have a drink, never a date and he was gone. he got married, I got married, and then I was single for 22 some yrs as I got divorced. then one day.. after my youngest son left for the military and my oldest son was well into his new career, I realized, I was alone, my job was done,
I was reading the local paper and saw his name, in the police blotter of course, a ticket on a harley. I went to this bar, where all the bike guys hung out, I was moving away, and knew I would never see him again, but he was in my heart I had to see him and there he was. With a girl of course, told me he had gotten a divorce, was staying in a nearby town, I gave him a peck, his girlfriend went berserk, I just laughed, and she said I have known him for two weeks, and hes my man. I said Ive known him all my life and hes my friend, and I left.
I went to San antonio, to see my son graduate, and he burned up the phone lines to my former house where my oldest son still lived. When I got home we set up a date, I stood him up, he deserved it, then I went out with him nov 11 1997, and been together every since. We got stranded together in the worst snowstorm I have seen in quite some time, and decided this was where we were meant to be.
He has seen 4 grandchildren born that are every much his as mine, and four family deaths that he has lead me through. We are night and day at times, I collect pottery and watch wildlife, and hes a biker guy, with a heart of gold. he even has learned pottery and buys it for me all the time. Ive also learned about panhead parts and suprise him now and then. We still like hot rods, and mine is still hotter, but he still has bikes and I dont ride. Maybe that will change this summer as he built one for me called baby doll.

Now aint that warm and fuzzy? We got married in 2002, in Vegas BABY!!!!!
And my ex cooked at my reception!!! HAAAAA Sorry so long, I just had to share!!!!

Last edited:

Cementups

Box Monkey
^^^ worth the read.

I met my wife when I was 19 (I'm almost 32 now) when we were attending the local community college together. sadly I must say that I do believe that were destined to be together. We stayed in the same hotel at Senior week in June '93 and only passed each other due to me and a buddy shooting her and her friends with Super Soakers from our balcony. She told me it was her in that group once after we were dating and were comparing past. We had several other passing but never actually ran into each other until our BIO 101 class in the Spring of '94.
More astonishing are the pictures of ourselves in our youth (pre-K) where we can switch our pictures up and our moms don't even know the difference of who is who. We come from different backgrounds and raisings but we are way too good for each other and have learned so much from her. I would be lost without her and I don't think any map in my package car could ever help me find my way if I lost her. I fall more in love with her everyday. And any woman that can deal with the life and stories of a UPS driver, is truely deserving of everything he can deliver. We were friends first before we were lovers and I believe it will be that way for a long long time.

Not the catch and release story Tooner had but it's all mine and I wou ldn't trade it for anything.

Sammie

I was going to start a new "how did you meet" thread bit I'll just add on to this one. Love all of your stories, by the way, especially the newlyweds!!

My husband to be and I started at UPS same year, months apart. About ten years later I noticed him in passing but didn't pay him much attention, didn't want to mix work life with home life.

It took him a year to strike up a conversation with me and another year to ask me out. We always laugh about that!

We started out as friends for quite some time; both of us were the single parent of a child and our teenagers were making the worst possible choices at that time. Not something you can discuss with everybody and it was so helpful that we could share these troubles.

I know that UPSers experience a high divorce rate due to the long working hours of drivers and mgmt. Spouses often don't believe that someone is actually working 12+ hrs a day but we knew what the other was going thru-he on road and I in the office.

I married this peculiar man in 1988, the guy who loves practical jokes. Gotta share a "UPS" story here. He will call and tell me he's been run over or kidnapped or whatever and after a few years I became immune to these phone calls. During peak one night I was already home and he was still running his route. He called and said he had broken his leg and that he was at such and such a hospital. I hung up on him and continued making dinner. He called every couple of hours and I continued to hang up on him. (No cell phone at this time yet..)Finally about 11:00 pm I became concerned and drove to the hospital where he was sitting out front in a wheelchair, looking all pitiful in the snow, with a big cast on his leg.

Cast your vote now for who gets the sympathy..??..

moreluck

golden ticket member
I throw in my 2 cents worth....

Hubby and I met in high school at Junior Achievement. (is that still around?) I was a junior and he was a sophomore. I robbed the cradle. We were friends first and then I asked him to my prom.... awwwwww! I had a baby blue gown and he wore a baby blue tux......looked good for the 60's. He was the most bashful, shy person I ever knew.....at least around me.

He worked various jobs, as did I, until he hired on as a driver for UPS. He worked 28 years and left as a div. mgr. Not bad for just a H.S. grad. Come September we'll celebrate 40 yrs. married and he's still my best friend ever!! :)