UPS Freight

trickpony1

...kinda hard to differentiate from one of our feeder units.
Think they are gearing up for 2008 and the end of the contract?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I don't think the company's purchase of Overnite has anything to do with the 2008 Contract. I think that Overnight employees will be in for a lot of changes by the time "Brown" gets done with them. More stops per hour, no beards, shorter hair, etc. They will probably go Teamster in no time. I'm more worried about PAS/EDD making it easier to replace us......:sad:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We have a Menlo facility down the street from my hub. I have seen a white beatup looking tractor with "UPS Cartage" painted on the door. Didn't look anything like what Overnight drives,

rushfan

Here we have motorcargo. Man If they are going to call them put ups on their trucks, they better get better equipment.

brett636

wily_old_vet said:
Here it is mid July and I still haven't seen a UPSFreight vehicle with the new paint scheme. I'm in Maryland.

Same here, I'm in Indy and all the overnight trucks just have the UPS freight stickers on the doors of the truck. I haven't seen any fully repainted or rebranded trucks.

Buckethead

rushfan said:
Here we have motorcargo. Man If they are going to call them put ups on their trucks, they better get better equipment.

Motor Cargo had better trucks than Overnite had. Then came the intergration and now Motor Cargo has been thrown to the side.

The trailers and gears at MC are alot better than O equipment. Maybe your looking at the appearance but as far as mechanical and driver freindly, MC far exceeds O equipment. Belive me I've worked for both.

Dutch Dawg

brett636 said:
Same here, I'm in Indy and all the overnight trucks just have the UPS freight stickers on the doors of the truck. I haven't seen any fully repainted or rebranded trucks.

I see one with a complete paint job on a regular basis running 31 between Indy and So Bend.

I had to do a double take last recently up around Chicago. The new UPS Freight pups could easily pass as UPS WW style pups to the unknowing eye.

I also saw an Overnite Logistics truck last week with no reference to UPS.
Did UPS purchase all of Overnite's assets? Or is there something still called Overnite out there?

moreluck

golden ticket member
Today I saw an all white box truck with the UPS shield on both sides and back of the box. It said ups.com on the rear of the box. Could this have been a UPS Freight truck? This was in S. California.

breadbooze

moreluck said:
Today I saw an all white box truck with the UPS shield on both sides and back of the box. It said ups.com on the rear of the box. Could this have been a UPS Freight truck? This was in S. California.

over here those are the package cars driven by mechanics either around the yard to tow disabled shifters/feeders/package cars or to bring out a battery to a dead on-road package car.

disneyworld

wily_old_vet said:
Here it is mid July and I still haven't seen a UPSFreight vehicle with the new paint scheme. I'm in Maryland.
Here in Mass,my first brush with UPS Freight at one of my stops.Had the right paperwork,right address but the wrong pallet.DOH!!!!!!!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
over9five said:
"Had the right paperwork,right address but the wrong pallet."

Are they on PAS too???

Must be, they have DIADs. The ones around here drive Overnite tractors with a "UPS Freight" sticker on the door with new UPS trailers. The UPS Cartage down the street from my Hub have the same trailers as we do but the "UPS Cartage" tractors are painted white and driven by Local 728 Teamsters.:wink:

happybob

Feeders
UPS purchasing a freight company was a move by the company to make more money. There is nothing wrong with this concept, unless of course they take work away from our operation to make that extra money. I've posted in the past, TEAMSTER.NET, where I see this causing a problem. Will the company now take the work we were allready getting and transfering it to the UPS Freight ops. The hundredweeight accounts will be targeted the most. Where we would go in and break down paletts of packages weighing less than 150 pounds. These pallets will now be sent as freight, in the ending causing us to lose teamster jobs. The snowball effect is going to cause us to lose feeder jobs, in turn causing layoffs in package and all the way down to loaders and unloaders. The only folks that will win in this situation is the stock holders, not the workers. If the company doesnt want us to believe this is an attempt to transfer the work to thier new operation then they can come up with a way of making the freight operation a union operation with our feeder drivers able to bid into this operation seemlessly. In the end this would show its long term employees that they dont want to replace us with lower paid workers, but that they want to retain the employees that have made the coompany what it is today.

undercoversupe

happybob said:
UPS purchasing a freight company was a move by the company to make more money. There is nothing wrong with this concept, unless of course they take work away from our operation to make that extra money. I've posted in the past, TEAMSTER.NET, where I see this causing a problem. Will the company now take the work we were allready getting and transfering it to the UPS Freight ops. The hundredweeight accounts will be targeted the most. Where we would go in and break down paletts of packages weighing less than 150 pounds. These pallets will now be sent as freight, in the ending causing us to lose teamster jobs. The snowball effect is going to cause us to lose feeder jobs, in turn causing layoffs in package and all the way down to loaders and unloaders. The only folks that will win in this situation is the stock holders, not the workers. If the company doesnt want us to believe this is an attempt to transfer the work to thier new operation then they can come up with a way of making the freight operation a union operation with our feeder drivers able to bid into this operation seemlessly. In the end this would show its long term employees that they dont want to replace us with lower paid workers, but that they want to retain the employees that have made the coompany what it is today.

I don't see that happening. Freight companies, UPS Freight included can't touch hundredweight pricing that UPS samll package can offer.

southerngrits

UPSFreight Greenville SC

second post (hi ya'll) UPSFreight worker, and damn proud of it..

I have noticed in Greenville alot of new freight on our dock.. now I don't know if our sales force is responsible or if the qoute above has some truth to it.. I do know that the other day we were told that UPS is looking at buying Averitt and combining us. Now (just my beliefs) from what I hear around the water fountain, is UPS bought us and wants us to stay non-union. And I can say in Greenville SC, we will stay non-union...we have to many 25-30 year employees getting ready to retire and don't want to go union. its sad that this nation and this industry is so devided by this union/non-union crap...