UPS Fresno hiring Tractor Trailer drivers, would I even qualify?

MStar

I got my CDL-A last June (2018) through a company in exchange to work for them for a season. July through Early October. I have been driving a truck with double trailers 12+ hrs a day (not all Drive time of course) to 16hrs a day, Avg 380 or so miles per day. Lots of drops and hooks. 7 days a week.

I will be released from the company any day as the season is about over, so am looking for driving work.

I see UPS is hiring but not sure I would even qualify, I did not see the minimum required experience. Here are some issues

1. The company only trained me on Automatic Transmission so I have a restriction currently for Manual. I wanted the manual training but they did not offer that for the first season drivers.

2. I have all of maybe 80 days actual driving experience.

3. I have only driven doubles, open top produce trailers. No flat bed experience or box truck experience. I have not had to tied down a load or back into an actual dock. I have not done a back up with a trailer since I did my CDL road test.

Would I be wasting my time applying for UPS for the Tractor Trailer Driver? I would imagine UPS would be a company that wants a driver with (Years) experience and no manual restriction, unless UPS has gone all automatic.

barnyard

KTM rider
You could try, unless they are really hard up, you do not have enough experience and need to be able to drive a manual. If you cannot back, you might not even pass the UPS driving test. So there is that too.

ManInBrown

All the casuals in my building last year at peak all were given the newer tractors everyday. No one could figure out why, come to find out they all had automatic only cdl licenses. Never even knew such a thing existed.

Richard Cranium

I got my CDL-A last June (2018) through a company in exchange to work for them for a season. July through Early October. I have been driving a truck with double trailers 12+ hrs a day (not all Drive time of course) to 16hrs a day, Avg 380 or so miles per day. Lots of drops and hooks. 7 days a week.

I will be released from the company any day as the season is about over, so am looking for driving work.

I see UPS is hiring but not sure I would even qualify, I did not see the minimum required experience. Here are some issues

1. The company only trained me on Automatic Transmission so I have a restriction currently for Manual. I wanted the manual training but they did not offer that for the first season drivers.

2. I have all of maybe 80 days actual driving experience.

3. I have only driven doubles, open top produce trailers. No flat bed experience or box truck experience. I have not had to tied down a load or back into an actual dock. I have not done a back up with a trailer since I did my CDL road test.

Would I be wasting my time applying for UPS for the Tractor Trailer Driver? I would imagine UPS would be a company that wants a driver with (Years) experience and no manual restriction, unless UPS has gone all automatic.
Tell them you know a guy name Dave from the upstate area that was possibly the greatest pkg car driver ever at UPS and you should get the job.

finaddict

You are fine. Damn near all we have anymore are auto's, its the future and at most hubs the feeder driver trainers are certified by the DMV to test. YOu'll be taught our methods, licensed on a manual and set free. You'll be at the bottom of the seniority list and doing work everyone else passed on or you're the only one available with hours for that time slot. It takes four years to reach top pay and at 54-55hrs a week I'm grossing around $120k and benefits are provided no cost. A milage team can make upwards of $160k (each). Good luck.

MrFeeder

You can drive all the miles you want and it won’t matter. We back nearly 100 trailers per night as a yard shifter under heavy yard traffic and any conditions. That’s what matters here as a UPS Feeder. But even so, it’s pretty hard to get in as a Feeder. You gotta go through part time handler to package driver then Feeder, that’s all done in seniority order.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
You can drive all the miles you want and it won’t matter. We back nearly 100 trailers per night as a yard shifter under heavy yard traffic and any conditions. That’s what matters here as a UPS Feeder. But even so, it’s pretty hard to get in as a Feeder. You gotta go through part time handler to package driver then Feeder, that’s all done in seniority order.
My a**. I went straight into feeders from part time shifter. The goal is 6 moves an hour as a shifter and I worked a busy hub.

MrFeeder

My a**. I went straight into feeders from part time shifter. The goal is 6 moves an hour as a shifter and I worked a busy hub.
lol I by no mean run and gun but Im paced and efficient. You’re one of those guys that makes the whole yard suffer and have everyone else double stacked because you’re in the corner facebooking giggling like a bish at memes.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
lol I by no mean run and gun but Im paced and efficient. You’re one of those guys that makes the whole yard suffer and have everyone else double stacked because you’re in the corner facebooking giggling like a bish at memes.
Yeah, you got me. Don’t be mad you got caught in a lie. I don’t give a flying friend how “paced and efficient” you are, there is NO WAY you are moving 100 trailers in one day.

MrFeeder

Yeah, you got me. Don’t be mad you got caught in a lie. I don’t give a flying friend how “paced and efficient” you are, there is NO WAY you are moving 100 trailers in one day.
I shift 12-13 hours a day rookie. Been a Feeder for nearly 9 years. Yo a** is going straight to back to the hub when shiii hits the fan.