Ups go. What do you know

isonend

Is this happening anywhere else?.. at almost every pcm we are being encouraged to download the ups go app. Starting to seem suspicious.
Thoughts?

Here's what I know:

• It does not track your location. Even if it did, you could turn it off. Check your phone - it will tell you what apps are tracking your location. I'd bet a dollar you find apps listed there you didn't know were already tracking you. Some apps track you. This one doesn't.
  • The app is really just a customized version of one that a lot of other companies already use. The name of the app company is Dynamic Signal. You can look it up and see all the things the app does. I figured this out when I opened it once and it showed the Dynamic Signal logo instead of the UPS logo. (It is kind of buggy - I think the first version was a big mess and was always crashing. A lot of the reviews are from that. It has been mostly OK on my android phone, though)
  • I heard some hubs that have no-cell policies are changing the policy. This is because UPS wants people to use the app.
  • There isn't very much from "corporate" on there at all, really. Most of it is posts linking to news sites with stories about circle of honor drivers and what amazon and fedex are doing. Best thing I saw on there recently was the video of the amazon "driver" dropping a box over a fence onto a puppy. And the amazon driver throwing a package onto a second story deck - took him two or three tries, but he didn't give up even after the woman who lived there asked him what he was doing. Definitely not the same stuff you see on upsers.
Why the big push now? Well I bet UPS spent a lot of money on this app and somebody wants to be sure they're getting something for the money. I think the long-term plan is that young people don't sit down at computers and log into corporate websites. They use their phones for everything. This is the new upsers.com for after the old folks retire...

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Here's what I know:

• It does not track your location. Even if it did, you could turn it off. Check your phone - it will tell you what apps are tracking your location. I'd bet a dollar you find apps listed there you didn't know were already tracking you. Some apps track you. This one doesn't.
  • The app is really just a customized version of one that a lot of other companies already use. The name of the app company is Dynamic Signal. You can look it up and see all the things the app does. I figured this out when I opened it once and it showed the Dynamic Signal logo instead of the UPS logo. (It is kind of buggy - I think the first version was a big mess and was always crashing. A lot of the reviews are from that. It has been mostly OK on my android phone, though)
  • I heard some hubs that have no-cell policies are changing the policy. This is because UPS wants people to use the app.
  • There isn't very much from "corporate" on there at all, really. Most of it is posts linking to news sites with stories about circle of honor drivers and what amazon and fedex are doing. Best thing I saw on there recently was the video of the amazon "driver" dropping a box over a fence onto a puppy. And the amazon driver throwing a package onto a second story deck - took him two or three tries, but he didn't give up even after the woman who lived there asked him what he was doing. Definitely not the same stuff you see on upsers.
Why the big push now? Well I bet UPS spent a lot of money on this app and somebody wants to be sure they're getting something for the money. I think the long-term plan is that young people don't sit down at computers and log into corporate websites. They use their phones for everything. This is the new upsers.com for after the old folks retire...
Russian troll, no one believes you.

isonend

Russian troll, no one believes you.
Both the Google and the Apple stores require apps to tell you what permissions they have on your phone. Somebody posted a screenshot of that here - that's where the permission to see your location would show up. It's not there.

So does that by itself mean the app can't see your location? No - the app developer could be lying about the permissions. Of course if it is and someone finds out, then the Google and Apple stores would ban all their apps and they would go out of business. Stupid risk to take.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Both the Google and the Apple stores require apps to tell you what permissions they have on your phone. Somebody posted a screenshot of that here - that's where the permission to see your location would show up. It's not there.

So does that by itself mean the app can't see your location? No - the app developer could be lying about the permissions. Of course if it is and someone finds out, then the Google and Apple stores would ban all their apps and they would go out of business. Stupid risk to take.
Kek

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Is this happening anywhere else?.. at almost every pcm we are being encouraged to download the ups go app. Starting to seem suspicious.
Thoughts?

~Poop
Same with Orion air EDD, someone needs to justify the work done. More downloads good, less bad.

35years

Gravy route
Copied directly from Google play, UPS Go...

APP PERMISSIONS

The UPS Go app requires access to the following services:

· IDENTITY/ READ GOOGLE SERVICE CONFIGURATION/PREVENT APP FROM SLEEPING CONTROLS: These are needed to send push notifications.
· LOCATION: This is needed to send the geographic information you request.
· CAMERA/FLASHLIGHT AND VIBRATION CONTROLS: These controls are needed so you can take pictures or capture videos.
· USB STORAGE PERMISSIONS: This is needed so you can store/delete/modify videos created in the app.
· FULL NETWORK ACCESS: This is needed to access the internet.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way UPS maintained that the DIAD GPS was not functional (for an entire year) after it was functional. So no, I would not trust UPS GO to ????

Last edited:

35years

Gravy route
Copied from the App Store...

UPS Go mobile app delivers the latest news and updates about UPS to YOU - our brand enthusiasts. UPS Go makes it easy to stay connected with the UPS Community and is not a delivery tracking app. For tracking of shipments and deliveries, please download the “UPS Mobile” app.

For an optimal experience, please provide permission for the UPS Go Mobile App to access your following device features:
Camera
Push Notifications

isonend

Copied directly from Google play, UPS Go...

APP PERMISSIONS

The UPS Go app requires access to the following services:

· IDENTITY/ READ GOOGLE SERVICE CONFIGURATION/PREVENT APP FROM SLEEPING CONTROLS: These are needed to send push notifications.
· LOCATION: This is needed to send the geographic information you request.
· CAMERA/FLASHLIGHT AND VIBRATION CONTROLS: These controls are needed so you can take pictures or capture videos.
· USB STORAGE PERMISSIONS: This is needed so you can store/delete/modify videos created in the app.
· FULL NETWORK ACCESS: This is needed to access the internet.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way UPS maintained that the DIAD GPS was not functional (for an entire year) after it was functional. So no, I would not trust UPS GO to ????

I don't know why it says that, because if you look down below at the actual permissions that are requested when you install it, it does not include location. If you look at the apps on your phone that you have given permission to use location, UPS Go is not even on the list - meaning it does not even request the permission.
upsgo1.jpg
upsgo2.jpg

isonend

I'm sure the app is not using my location but I can only go by my android phone. If someone with an iphone knows how to look up what apps are using location and sees UPS Go on the list, I'd like to know.

CanOSup

One of them
Here's what I know:

This has everything to do with the fact the Union deceminates the information they want to rile all of the employees up with. UPS almost surely wants an information platform to level that playing field. Just a thought.

Returntosender

Here's what I know:

Check the fine print Owner has the right to make changes to app. Track your location,access your photo contacts list, call log.

isonend

Check the fine print Owner has the right to make changes to app. Track your location,access your photo contacts list, call log.

And your phone would require you to accept the changes. But if it makes you feel better, sometimes you can get some free tinfoil with your cheeseburger at the gas station..

I don;t care one way or the other if someone downloads it, but the conspiracies are silly. UPS is an old grandpa trying to act cool around the kids by having an app. It wants everyone to download it so it can justify the money it spent on it. But from the reviews I;ve read, the app is still crashing and people are having trouble logging in. But somehow it is also supposed to be able to log the locations of 350,000 employees 24 hours a day - magically, without having access to your phone's location.

35years

Gravy route
But somehow it is also supposed to be able to log the locations of 350,000 employees 24 hours a day - magically, without having access to your phone's location.
Not all 350K at once.
Just the one they want to track who called in sick.
Why is location listed as a permission?
Perhaps not active now, but the permission is granted for future updates?

Remember who we are dealing with.
Do you trust them?