Ups go. What do you know

isonend

Not all 350K at once.
Just the one they want to track who called in sick.
Why is location listed as a permission?
Perhaps not active now, but the permission is granted for future updates?

Remember who we are dealing with.
Do you trust them?

I think location is listed as a permission because the people who designed the app just copied and pasted the text from some generic description. The app itself does not have the location services, and when you install it on your phone it does not ask for location permission.

It's not a matter of trust for me. I think most things can be explained by sloppiness and stupidity and don't need paranoid conspiracy theories to make sense. The simplest answer is usually the right one - someone just doesn't know what they're doing.

35years

Gravy route
Silly me.
I guess I am just paranoid thinking an app that asks for location permission would ever access your location. We all know large companies like UPS, Facebook or Google would never access our seemingly private information.

What was I thinking?

isonend

Silly me.
I guess I am just paranoid thinking an app that asks for location permission would ever access your location. We all know large companies like UPS, Facebook or Google would never access our seemingly private information.

What was I thinking?

Well I don't know about your particular phone, but on mine, when an app is using your location (like Google Maps) it puts an icon at the top of the screen. And there is a place in the settings where you can see every app that asks to use the location function and you can turn it on or off. And when you install an app it tells you whether it is asking to use your location. So you have at least three places to see whether an app on your phone is using your location, and exactly when.

And the UPS Go app does NOT ask for permission to use your location. It does NOT appear on your list of apps that use your location. When you use it the location icon does NOT appear on the screen.

Yeah it says it needs access to your location in the description. That is obviously a mistake by a careless IT person and not grounds for a conspiracy about personally tracking your location outside work. Facebook and Google are both apps that follow the procedure of telling you when they are using your location and you can go turn them off right now.

So yes, you are being silly and paranoid. You don't understand what is going on, so you are making up a conspiracy theory to make sense of it. But the simple answer is usually the right one.

By the way - there is one company that is tracking your location that does NOT tell you about it when it happens, and that is your cell service provider. If you are truly worried about being tracked, you need to throw your cell phone in the nearest river and go back to land lines. If you ever have a serious accident at UPS, you can expect that the insurance companies involved are going to be requesting your phone records from your cell provider and checking to see exactly where you were, how fast you were going, and whether you were on the phone or texting at the time. The silly company app, which doesn't know your location at all, is the least of your worries.

Poop Head

Judge me.
Well I don't know about your particular phone, but on mine, when an app is using your location (like Google Maps) it puts an icon at the top of the screen. And there is a place in the settings where you can see every app that asks to use the location function and you can turn it on or off. And when you install an app it tells you whether it is asking to use your location. So you have at least three places to see whether an app on your phone is using your location, and exactly when.

And the UPS Go app does NOT ask for permission to use your location. It does NOT appear on your list of apps that use your location. When you use it the location icon does NOT appear on the screen.

Yeah it says it needs access to your location in the description. That is obviously a mistake by a careless IT person and not grounds for a conspiracy about personally tracking your location outside work. Facebook and Google are both apps that follow the procedure of telling you when they are using your location and you can go turn them off right now.

So yes, you are being silly and paranoid. You don't understand what is going on, so you are making up a conspiracy theory to make sense of it. But the simple answer is usually the right one.

By the way - there is one company that is tracking your location that does NOT tell you about it when it happens, and that is your cell service provider. If you are truly worried about being tracked, you need to throw your cell phone in the nearest river and go back to land lines. If you ever have a serious accident at UPS, you can expect that the insurance companies involved are going to be requesting your phone records from your cell provider and checking to see exactly where you were, how fast you were going, and whether you were on the phone or texting at the time. The silly company app, which doesn't know your location at all, is the least of your worries.
Why are you so hell-bent on defending this "app"?
Your picture of a boxcar with graffiti on it can't fool me

isonend

Why are you so hell-bent on defending this "app"?
Your picture of a boxcar with graffiti on it can't fool me

Funny that when you tell people who love conspiracy theories that there is no conspiracy, they come up with more conspiracies.

I'm not defending it. It's a pretty lame attempt by a stodgy old company to try to be cool with millennials. That is all.

And the conspiracy theories are stupid. That is all.

Like I say - wrap a little tinfoil around your phone, maybe line the inside of your hat with it, too, and you'll be fine.

Poop Head

Judge me.
Like I say - wrap a little tinfoil around your phone, maybe line the inside of your hat with it, too, and you'll be fine.
Nice try bozo, tinfoil doesn't work. I have my hats, phone case, and diad holder/holster lined with brass mesh. I suggest you do the same, to your cubicle.

Last edited:
get out of here
svb8tKSIpGfHq.gif

Dr.Brownz

Funny that when you tell people who love conspiracy theories that there is no conspiracy, they come up with more conspiracies.

I'm not defending it. It's a pretty lame attempt by a stodgy old company to try to be cool with millennials. That is all.

And the conspiracy theories are stupid. That is all.

Yep sure and UPS doesn't know that their old manual transmission trucks don't follow OSHA's noise guidelines either.....right....