UPS hiring and increasing starting pay for package handlers, other entry-level positions

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
UPS hiring and increasing starting pay for package handlers, other entry-level positions - WHAS 11

The United Parcel Service (UPS) in Louisville is the latest company in Kentucky to announce it is hiring. UPS says it is also increasing pay for some entry-level positions, a news release states.

The company says starting August 1st the wage for UPS package handlers and other entry-level operations positions increased from $14 to $14.50 an hour.
That was negotiated in this contract. The starting wage goes up every August 1st.

Nah
If the starting part time pay kept up with the raises the drivers have gotten over the years it would be at least $20 and hour to start.

If it had only kept up with inflation from what it was in the 80s, it would be about $17 or $18.

> Part Timers don't vote.
> Part Time raises don't increase as much as they could with proper pressure from the workforce.
> Part Timers complain about how the union doesn't do anything for them.

Gotta love it.

If it had only kept up with inflation from what it was in the 80s, it would be about $17 or $18.

> Part Time raises don't increase as much as they could with proper pressure from the workforce.
> Part Timers complain about how the union doesn't do anything for them.

Gotta love it.
[/QUOTE
30 plus years ago it was $8 an hour to start
Do a 2% increase per year compounded over 30 plus years and tell me what the number is

Nah
I calculated it to $14.49.

I'm getting $14.58. 8e^[(0.02)(30)]

But the average rate of inflation was higher during that time, about 2.29%, so 8e^[(0.0229)(3)] = $15.90.

However, these calculations are meaningless because the contract isn't being negotiated in 2020. It was negotiated in 2018. The average yearly inflation rate between 1988 and 2018 was 2.54%, and this is the scenario I based my original comment on. So 8e^[(0.0254)(30)] = $17.14

Personally, I would have been happy if they could have gotten $15. They take such pride in promoting their "Fight for $15" activities supporting non-unionized fast food workers, that you'd think that they would be able and willing to get $15/hr for its own dues-paying members.

You'd think that. But apparently you'd be wrong.