UPS hit with a class A lawsuit?

LoaderforUPS

Some of the upper supervisors where talking about that today. It was floating around, they said you could google for more information.

I found, that people who where shipping NDA, those packages weren't even going thru the air system. But instead the ground divison. They knew they where in the wrong, yet kept quiet. Now someones going to make them pay...

I guess it's been going on for a few years now. But thru this all it doesn't surprise me at all. They over charged a lot of customers and major fraud. UPS denines they where in the wrong, yet there tracking numbers don't lie as well as they might try to. BUSTED. oh well it doesn't surprise me one bit.:angry:.

So much for 'customer care'

over9five

Staff member
I think it says in the service guide that "not all air services go by air", or something to that effect.

Is this old news? Seems like it's happened before....

Déjà vu?

RustyPMcG

I found, that people who where shipping NDA, those packages weren't even going thru the air system. But instead the ground divison.

Were they delivered within the guaranteed time frame?

Are you suggesting that a Next Day package going to another location served by the same center should have to be flown somewhere instead of going by the most efficient route that gets it there by the guaranteed date and time?

What's next? A lawsuit against FedEx because their trucks weren't express, but were making stops along the way?

Totally baseless suit, if it even exists. I can imagine some bozo filing it. Perhaps even multiple bozos filing similar suits. But I can't imagine that a judge would certify them as a class action.

Sounds to me like some people who don't understand either logistics or the law blowing smoke out their butts.

BTW... Every big corporation has many lawsuits pending at any given time, most of them as baseless as this one. That's part of why there's a whole department to handle legal matters.

tracker2762

I don't believe customers send parcels nda because they fly on a plane. They send them for the guaranteed time commitment. There is also the added expense of breaking trace to service these to make the commit time. I have seen many times where a customer would send it next day to the same zone. I don't believe for one minute they expect it to be put on a plane. I once picked up a nda letter going 3 miles up the road, wasn't even going to leave the building. As a matter of fact it only moved a couple cars down the box line. I informed them they it would get there the next day using ground but they wanted to make sure it was delivered before 10:30.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
we give customers all kinds of time in transit tools to see if NDA is their most cost efficient method to transport packages.

I also sell NDA with the time of day guarantee. a lot of customers use NDA within the same city.

raceanoncr

What do you think sleeper teams have been doing since 1997? Originally, that's all they hauled, along with blue label.

To put in simple terms, how would it be if you, a business, were to ship a NDA letter, box, whatever, on Friday, destined for a Monday delivery? Oh, I know there is Sat service too at extra cost but I'm talking normal NDA Fri p/u with Mon del. You expect UPS to fly a plane in here on Fri night to take to Louisville to sort only to fly it out of Louky and OVER the pickup city and then on to it's destination Fri night/Sat morn only for the package to sit there til Mon sort?

WE can DRIVE it there for less cost and make the same commit times as flying there. And as some posters have stated, ain't that what most consignees paying for anyway? Is commit times? I know most are here.

I don't know what the TOS are for NDA. Does it say UPS HAS to put it on the plane? I don't think so.

OK, so maybe such a lawsuit DOES exist. What if it wins? Costs WILL go up, I guarantee you. When sleeper teams were first institued, I overheard one high uppity-up say to another swinging d***, "These sleeper teams are saving us a BOATLOAD of money."

Next Day Air was the name given to the service when that was the only way to get it across great distances with the equipment we had at the time. We have evolved along with the rest of the world.

Norma

Not that it's wrong, illegal or even unethical, in many cases it's "corporate policy" to send things NDA. Even if it's the next town over.

In many cases these corporations are paying close to ground rates anyway.

UPSGUY72

Some of the upper supervisors where talking about that today. It was floating around, they said you could google for more information.

I found, that people who where shipping NDA, those packages weren't even going thru the air system. But instead the ground divison. They knew they where in the wrong, yet kept quiet. Now someones going to make them pay...

I guess it's been going on for a few years now. But thru this all it doesn't surprise me at all. They over charged a lot of customers and major fraud. UPS denines they where in the wrong, yet there tracking numbers don't lie as well as they might try to. BUSTED. oh well it doesn't surprise me one bit.:angry:.

You would have to be a IDIOT to think a NDA package going to a business in the same city a 100 miles away would some how be put on a plane before it got to its destination. THE SHIPPERS ARE PAYING FOR THEIR PACKAGES TO GET TO A CERTIAN LOCATION BY A CERTIAN TIME THE NEXT DAY.

THEY ARE NOT PAYING FOR SPACE ON AN AIRPLANE.

pretzel_man

Yes, there is a class action lawsuit on this. This is not new and as in most class action lawsuits, the winner is the lawyer. Lawers look for things like this. They represent a large number of people and the lawyer gets 30% or so off the top. Everyone else gets pennies.

Not, the premise that UPS was hiding this or that people knew it was wrong and kept doing this is plain wrong. Yes, this has been going on for years. Since the very beginning of air service and not a secret.

Busted?? Not sure what that means. That implies that someone was trying to hide it? As you say, the tracking information has been readily available for 20 years or so.

Customer care? UPS NDA service is on time about 99.5% of the time... Not too bad.

brown bomber

brown bomber
more than one time, I picked up an NDA letter from an accounting firm on my route, and delivered it to the consignee on area that same day...........but that was back in the day when common sense prevailed.......I didn't break trace nor did I pull to provide this service, I had a delivery after P/U for this individual, along w/ this parcel from the accounting firm

satellitedriver

Maybe,
we should no longer call it next day air.
-( when was the last time you saw an airmail stamp on a letter?)-
It should simply be called Next Day Delivery.
-( kinda has a ring to it)-
No one should care how it gets there, only that it does.
Now that is Logistics.

p228

Basically a car dealership, Arapahoe Hyundai, files a lawsuit under the RICO act, which is for corruption, because UPS has been 'charging for the premium air service it never had any intention of providing.' Then they go onto say, "UPS’s practice of imposing jet fuel-related fees for ‘air’ shipments that never board a plane is fraudulent and unjustifiable.”

The examples they give are almost all intrastate, meaning they never left Colorado. Our closest air hub is in California. I just don't get it.

You can go on the website and see how long a package will take to get delivered by ground vs air. Too difficult?

22.34life

i dont think ups misleads people about nda service but it doesnt tell people the whole story either.of course anyone with half a brain knows that you dont have to send a package nda in the same city for it to arrive the next day but it will make the package arive before a certain time the next day.now what about packages going to different citys in the same state like lets say san antonio to dallas,this package would be delivered the next day by ground but a customer may not know this,i dont think ups goes out of their way to tell the customer this information.

kurtkampy

Why is that in the wrong? If a shipper ships a box NDA that is within 200 miles and it can make it by ground why should it be flown to Louisville, or Phily? The customer is still paying to have the package delivered by 10:30.