Ups iam national contract

First of all looks like they want to eliminate any riders in other areas like ours, they want everyone under one master agreement.
No holidays, personal days, until 12 month of service, when I started 13 years ago I got holidays off with pay right off the bat, sorry new hires!
Your health, dental, vision and pension will go up but will be redistributed different to help cover our pension going down and our health benefits going up, be ready to pay more out of pocket for Doctor visits etc.
Alot of wording pertaining to part timers for health care and pension.
Section 4.0 is about being able to join IAM 401k, whoopy, I already have a 401k, I wasn't going to wait for them.
No more paycheck you will have to get automatic deposit or a debit card.
One good thing is on a call out your time starts when you are called on the phone, not when you get there and punch in, remember 3hr pay for call out.
Green check under $30 will be on your next check over will be next day aired and penalized every day untill you get it.
If for some reason you lose your drivers lic, like DUI, they have to acomadate you for up to 1 year to get your lic back, if you can't your then done.
Duration of contract 8-1-9 thru 7-31-14, 5 years.
$200 tool allowance per year, you have to give them your tool list on file.
I don't know if this next part is a Norcal thing or national but also if you get fired for other than theft or fighting, you get one week off and return to working termination until it is decided whether your termination is final, if you get your job back you'll get your one week payed back, if you lose then your walked off property.
I'm sure their is more in different areas and I can't type all day, but you should have had this stuff months ago, not weeks and days.
I am going to Oregon today for vacation, I plan on trying to stop at a few different UPS locations and try and talk to mechanics for input, also my friend from Sacramento who is a feeder driver is going to let me know how the mechanics there feel.
It's in the hands of you folks who have not voted, I just want you to have more info than I did before I voted, do what you think is right for you, but please use good judgement and ask for details.
I will check back on Sunday night when I get back home.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I was talking with our IAM mechanics which are in local 701 and they have not been told of anything yet. They have a meeting on Saturday (tomorrow) to go over the proposal and then vote on it.

They are planning on going to vote no, because its impossible to discuss and digest all the changes that quickly. Good for them!

upswrench

Good for them!!!!!!!!!!

That sounds like an idiot that does not have a clue on what he is talking about. If you know nothing how can you have an opinion on the matter???
I have seen the proposal and there is nothing in there worse than what the teamsters voted YES on.

If you have never seen the proposal how can you post GOOD FOR THEM you idiot????????????

705red

Browncafe Steward
Good for them!!!!!!!!!!

That sounds like an idiot that does not have a clue on what he is talking about. If you know nothing how can you have an opinion on the matter???
I have seen the proposal and there is nothing in there worse than what the teamsters voted YES on.

If you have never seen the proposal how can you post GOOD FOR THEM you idiot????????????
Only an idiot would hold a 1 time meeting on the proposal and expect a vote immediately after! The only thing they had knowledge of was the raises and that they were losing overtime after 8 hours and now you would have to work 40 before ot kicked in. The 2nd part is reason enough to vote no!

By any chance are you the 701 agent that they keep bad mouthing?

705red

Browncafe Steward
How come unions in this day and age not use the Internet to keep members informed? Our local did it and people that actually care about the contract were able to view proposals and see what was being bargained.

The Internet is a tool, and if the IAM would have used it the members would be able to go in and make an informed decision.

But when the stewards have no idea on the changes and only the agents bargained with the company, that reason alone is enough to vote no!

astoneburner

I am a steward and very upset with our union for not releasing the contract info before the meeting. It sure makes you wonder what they are ashamed of.I feel like we were forced into this national contract by the IAM and now they are trying to keep us in the dark until the last minute.With that being said I will vote according to the facts and not vote it down just because i don't like the way it is being presented. I hope everyone else can do the same

upswrench

Nope Just a mechanic for UPS that would much rather come to work everyday then sit at home. which is exactly where I will be if this contract does not pass.

There is only 3200 of us and don't think for a minute we wront end up like the airline mechanics that all just got fired. How are they doing right now??And I'm sure there was some Idiot sitting in the back saying GOOD FOR THEM THEY SHOULD VOTE IT DOWN. well guess what that idiot is still working and they are not.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Wrench, you will vote yes on a contract not knowing the full details? What about the part time language that has been spoken about.

My point here in saying good for them, was not rushing into a decision with little or no time to review it. If it gets voted down how will you be out of work? Are in out of local 701?

Another brother from California said they have already voted it down and you are still working right?

This does not directly effect me, but I hate to see people make stupid choices because they are rushed. How many spur of the moment weddings in Vegas make it? You just dont pop the question without knowing what you are in for!

And if you call me an idiot one more time you will have some problems!

astoneburner

I believe that with this now being a national contract that if the majority votes it down then the whole thing gets voted down. It is my understanding that there is one vote for national and local contract together.This is another reason I do not like how our national contract was forced on us.
During the last contract vote our local voted it down the first time because we did not like the national , only to be informed after the vote that enough other locals had voted that the national had already passed and there was nothing we could do about it!!!!!!
The only thing we could renegotiate was the local and we did but we were stuck with the national.

upswrench

Wrench, you will vote yes on a contract not knowing the full details? What about the part time language that has been spoken about.

My point here in saying good for them, was not rushing into a decision with little or no time to review it. If it gets voted down how will you be out of work? Are in out of local 701?

Another brother from California said they have already voted it down and you are still working right?

This does not directly effect me, but I hate to see people make stupid choices because they are rushed. How many spur of the moment weddings in Vegas make it? You just dont pop the question without knowing what you are in for!

And if you call me an idiot one more time you will have some problems!

705 most locals already have part time mechanics in there local agreement I guess Cal. does not ? The other items were the 12 months for ins. 18 months for family it is the exact same thing the teamsters voted yes on in the last contract. The Union walked out of negotiations 3 times prior to this agreement do you really think they did'nt get the best deal they could ????UPS wanted to be able to use outside cotractors instead of mechanics at the beginning of the talks. And I read that right off local 701 web site.

And I was drunk last night and hungover this morning sorry about that idiot stuff:peaceful:

UPS GRAYS

Our local for the Chicago area voted the proposed contract down on 7-11-09. The vote was 127 against and 74 for the proposed contract. I am waiting to hear what the rest of the members around the country voted.

705red

Browncafe Steward
what are some of the reasons it failed in chicago
A huge reason that I was told is because the members did not have enough time to go through the contract.

Stewards were invited to proposal meeting and allowed to voice concerns but no rank and file members were on the committee.

You would now need to work over 40 hours in the week before OT would kick in, no more OT after 8.

I will get with the 701 guys tomorrow to find out more. We are pretty tight as we look out for them and they look out for us.

Back from Oregon and just logged on, looks like some pretty good discussions about the contract, and that's what we need.
UPS already has paper work set up for sub contractors for all kinds of stuff, even mechanic work on pkg cars and feeder, I have seen it with my own eyes and it blew me away.
We have won several grievances for plant maintenance that was scabbed out, yes we won, but have not got paid, I can't figure out what is going on, even our drivers who are Teamsters have won their over 9.5 hr grievances and have not got paid.
It's sad but I do not trust UPS or my union, I can control my union people, and I swear if they are railroading us I will try my best to rally all the guys in our area to oust these guys, they work for you and me. In our area we have about 22 Iam reps and 18 for only UPS, we carry weight guys, you need to call you union and tell tham you want straight answers.
If your talking about AMFA striking mechanics back in 2005 that broke away from IAM, they lost their jobs because no one recognized their made up union and the other unions crossed the picket lines, we are IAM members and the other unions will recognize our picket, if we do picket.
Give the full story when you try to buffalo the other guys with you scare tactics, we are not doing anything wrong by discussing the contract and choosing to vote yes or no, I think most of us are angry because it was not presented in a timely manner which makes it look shady and draws more scrutiny, be wise.

astoneburner

Can someone tell me how this national works?
One vote for national and local together so does that mean that it is a majority vote nationwide and if a certain local votes it down while the majority passes it does that mean that the local gets renegotiated?
I have a lot of questions and know that some of the over 1000 viewers on this link can help. At least post your own questions
Thanks