Ups iam national contract

Boomer

ouch
th_screwed.jpg

705red

Browncafe Steward
Talking with the mechanics today they heard from the 701 agent that the contract has passed already. They were told that all the votes are in.

Doesn't sound right to me if you still have not voted yet.

mikegordy

i think it is 1 vote per local even though 1 local may have 200 members and an other 50 members. this is as logical as ups management decisions. we are voting on other locals issues even though we dont know what they are and unions bring fairness to the work place , sounds like a middle east election to me .our local 701 still hasnt posted the results as of 7-21 7:40 am even though it reads this:

UPS Contract Vote Results

The vote was conducted on July 11, 2009 at 9:00 am.

The results were:

To accept the contract as proposed:
74 yes 126 no

To authorize a strike if necessary:
154 yes 33 no
13 no responses for strike authorization

The tabulation of all 33 IAM&AW represented locations will not be completely totaled until after July 19, 2009. Once a total is remitted the results will be posted.

mikegordy

RE: ups‏
offline16.png
Bond Joyce ([email protected]) Sent:Tue 7/21/09 7:46 AMTo: mike k ([email protected])
.ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P{padding-right:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-top:0px;}.ExternalClass BODY.EC_hmmessage{font-size:10pt;font-family:Verdana;}
Good morning, Mike,

Please let me know your local or district lodge number. I want to make sure your voice is heard.

Joyce

Joyce L. Bond
Communications Representative
International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers Union (IAMAW)
9000 Machinists Place
Upper Marlboro, MD 20772
Phone: 301-967-4520
Fax: 301-967-4586
www.goiam.org

Sent: Monday, July 20, 2009 8:52 AM
To: Hernandez Kiley
Subject: ups

hi, how can we have a national vote for a contract among 33 different locals and we all have different local issues. it would be like 33 states changing different laws in each state but all the states voting on those laws. also each locals vote has the same weight as another even though 1 local may have 100 members and others have 300 or 25 . if contract negotiations are going to be like this all language in everyone's agreement has to be the same or we vote on a contract by local.

mike

moreluck

golden ticket member
WOW ! What a coincidence......that's from Bond Joyce and I used to be nicknamed Joyce Bondage !! LOL :happy-very: Can't come to the phone, I'm all tied up !

Boomer

We vote on sat. 25th will post how we voted.
The tabulation of all 33 IAM&AW represented locations will not be completely totaled until after July 19, 2009. Once a total is remitted the results will be posted.
Typical management crap, weather it is the national I.A.M. or U.P.S. perfect example of what is a SNAFU?

astoneburner

Found out last nite that local in north ohio votes by mail and there votes have to be in by the 25th.

Also the national contract has a tool allowance only if your local does not have a tool allowance or broken tool replacement. Ours has a tool allowance for mechanics under contract prior to 1985 and replacement for all so we do not get 200 dollar allowance. Not a bad thing but you need to look at your local before you assume you qualify

me1518

i have never seen a more hush, hush in regards to a contract and results as i have experienced with this present contract.
What's going on? Where are the results? Why are we not informed of the decisions / vote?
Is there any other Local / Lodge that has heard anything?
Please contact.

The latest from our shop steward in Fresno Ca is that the contract passed, this is not official, but one of the mechanics from Fresno told me last night.
We were shocked, because everyone we have spoken to said they voted no on the contract.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The latest from our shop steward in Fresno Ca is that the contract passed, this is not official, but one of the mechanics from Fresno told me last night.
We were shocked, because everyone we have spoken to said they voted no on the contract.

That's the reason there is a secret ballot ... so people are not subject to peer or coerced pressure.

Creeper head

So cal voted on Sat. it passed 104 yes and 4 no that was the people that came out to vote. Heard today from a IAM rep that the contract was approved.

mikegordy

i can not believe this contract passed at any local , i want to sell these people cars or homes they accept 1st offer. ups is becoming like AMWAY now they want us to be sales people like a multi level marketing distributer .

harleyrik

Mike, some locals actually GOT something in their local agreement, other than the shaft.
I don't know if this next part is a Norcal thing or national but also if you get fired for other than theft or fighting, you get one week off and return to working termination until it is decided whether your termination is final, if you get your job back you'll get your one week payed back, if you lose then your walked off property.
At least 40 or more of your peers would've liked to have had this in the local agreement at some point in their IAM 701 careers here with UPS. The ONLY things I saw that we gained in our local agreement were the additional position bidding procedure (IMNSHO, if you over sleep, you get skipped. We have a potential acadamy award winning actor in the midst, so we got a clause in his honor. Big Deal.) We also get one day of bereavement pay for sister in laws or brother in laws. Wow. What a victory. For what we gave up in the local we should be given a personal apology from our BA, Boysen Anderson and the president of the IAM international. We should also get to re-negotiate this turd of a contract in a year or two when UPS net quarterly profits are back over 1 billion dollars. As it is now, they only netted 450,000,000 dollars in the second quarter. I guess we are lucky we weren't asked to sacrifice more by our union. [/Rant]

JonFrum

Guys,

The rules for ratifying a contract, including one with a national portion and local supplements, should be spelled out in you IAM Constitution.

Here in the Teamsters we went to a national agreement (called the National Master) with regional and local Supplements in 1979. However, the two largest locals, 705 and 710, covering Illinois, Indiana and Davenport Iowa are not included. They are seperate bargaining units. Seperate from the National Master, and seperate from each other. Everyone covered by the Master is in the same bargaining unit even though we have regional supplements.

The idea of a national contract was sold as as solidarity and bargaining power thing, but it has been just the opposite. Each individual member is voting on a wide range of issues that he knows little or nothing about, and that don't effect him personally.

The natural tendency is for people to vote "Yes" because they want to avoid a strike. The Union wants "Labor Peace" as much as the company does. Since much of the contract doesn't apply to the individual voter, the natural tendency is to vote "Yes", (or not vote at all,) unless there is some one issue that he is very upset about. The Teamsters also unanamously urge a "Yes" vote. Add to that the lack of information, and lack of time to discuss and debate the language.

Thus the national voting system virtually guarantees a majority "Yes" vote.