UPS is a disgrace

ManInBrown

Here's hoping the cuts are deep enough on Mondays for me to take off. I would be happy to work Tuesday-Friday for the remainder of my time at UPS.
If tears is correct and there will be no additional work in the beginning, you might get away with working 2-3 days a week if you want. The whole thing makes no sense. Are they just gambling that all the new drivers will have no problem working 1 or 2 days a week? Will the majority be too scared to ask where the broom closet is? I wouldn't be going home. I'd demand my 8 every single day. The only way I could see it working is if we get surepost back. If not, where is the work?

Every center has a handful of drivers that would work 4 days a month if they could. But there isn't a line a mile long of those drivers. There's probably 3 or 4 drivers in my center like that. That's not enough to offset the new hires

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Then how do they justify hiring all these new FT drivers if the plan is to handle what we have now? What are these drivers doing the other 4 or 5 days a week? It doesn't make sense. We all know it's going to be cut city on Mondays and probably one or two other days now.
we looked at what sat+mon driver level would be, subtracted all the comp/dis, vacations, optionals, and ended up with a need; ez pz

the other thing is they'd like to inch a little closer to peak now that they can actually give them work to keep them from quitting

honestly i think we are overstaffing but it's a corporate decision so v0v

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
If tears is correct and there will be no additional work in the beginning, you might get away with working 2-3 days a week if you want. The whole thing makes no sense. Are they just gambling that all the new drivers will have no problem working 1 or 2 days a week? Will the majority be too scared to ask where the broom closet is? I wouldn't be going home. I'd demand my 8 every single day. The only way I could see it working is if we get surepost back. If not, where is the work?
the better question isn't where is the work, it's how much would we have had yanked from us if we didn't do this

the answer is enough to justify the crazy :censored2: we are doing this year

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck

Every center has a handful of drivers that would work 4 days a month if they could. But there isn't a line a mile long of those drivers. There's probably 3 or 4 drivers in my center like that. That's not enough to offset the new hires
We have it here. Saturday ground is to provide a safety net to succeed during peak without over hiring seasonal help. Just my opinion. I'm a dumb Teamster FYI.

ManInBrown

Let's just take my route for example. In a 5 day week I do between 750-800 stops per week. We all know, once we move to 6 days they are not just going to let me go out with 30 less stops per day because now we work 6 days. They're just going to cut routes. I don't get it. The over list will be a mile long every day. UPS better stock up on brooms. The only scenario where I see this working is no more surepost.

Thank god I just got my letter to go to feeder school. This sounds like a complete cluster:censored3:

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Let's just take my route for example. In a 5 day week I do between 750-800 stops per week. We all know, once we move to 6 days they are not just going to let me go out with 30 less stops per day because now we work 6 days. They're just going to cut routes. I don't get it. The over list will be a mile long every day. UPS better stock up on brooms. The only scenario where I see this working is no more surepost.

Thank god I just got my letter to go to feeder school. This sounds like a complete cluster:censored3:
only monday routes get cut

saturdays go out with like 8.2 plan days, mondays maybe an 8.5 (using a base 9.1 plan day as comparison)

the only difficulty on monday is pickups, the rest is cake

We have it here. Saturday ground is to provide a safety net to succeed during peak without over hiring seasonal help. Just my opinion. I'm a dumb Teamster FYI.

that's a bonus, if they don't quit that is

if turnover is still big, as it was when we gradually hired for peak, then you'll see a big freeze on hiring in 2018 Q1, and back to "just-in-time" we go

ManInBrown

only monday routes get cut

saturdays go out with like 8.2 plan days, mondays maybe an 8.5 (using a base 9.1 plan day as comparison)

the only difficulty on monday is pickups, the rest is cake
What do you mean only Monday routes get cut? How does a 6 day work week not turn into a domino effect the rest of the week?

If we are delivering Mondays work on Saturday, aren't we delivering Tuesday's work on Monday so on and so forth?

And there are definitely going to be deep cuts on Friday, because now work can be delivered Saturday.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
What do you mean only Monday routes get cut?

it's not a 6 day work week, it's a 5 day: mon-fri, tues-sat

How does a 6 day work week not turn into a domino effect the rest of the week? If we are delivering Mondays work on Saturday, aren't we delivering Tuesday's work on Monday so on and so forth?

And there are definitely going to be deep cuts on Friday, because now work can be delivered Saturday.

during Peak sure the volume availability is there, but the Transportation lanes during non-Peak tues-fri are so tight that changing them before we have the package side implemented could be disastrous

you won't see that kind of stuff till 2018-2019

ManInBrown

it's not a 6 day work week, it's a 5 day: mon-fri, tues-sat

during Peak sure the volume availability is there, but the Transportation lanes during non-Peak tues-fri are so tight that changing them before we have the package side implemented could be disastrous

you won't see that kind of stuff till 2018-2019
But it is a 6 day workweek. We are moving work 6 days per week. Just because there are two different work schedules doesn't mean we aren't operating 6 days per week. It's one extra day, for the same amount of business

But it is a 6 day workweek. We are moving work 6 days per week. Just because there are two different work schedules doesn't mean we aren't operating 6 days per week. It's one extra day, for the same amount of business
They are claiming we will get extra business because some shippers don't use us on Fridays because FedEx ground delivers on Saturdays.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Here's a good one for ya. Train is late. 3 drivers who go to the airport have been waiting at the rail yard(1 hour away from the airport) for their loads. Dispatch realizes if they wait for the train they will be late for their airport pull. Dispatch tells them bobtail to the airport, now three loads have no drivers. So....dispatch calls three drivers who are 15 mins from the airport to go down and get those loads from the railyard(1 hour away). Huh??? And we still make money.
Being preload sup introduced me to the stupidity of feeder dispatch. I gave up on trying to figure it out.