UPS is once again doing the very minimum to protect its behind the scenes employees

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I live in Washington State.. Pre-load at the Spokane airport..

I just listened to the Gov of NY. It was a real sobering speech in regards to his smart actions that he is implementing. In comparison to NY, Washington State is at the very top of confirmed coronavirus cases and deaths. Three weeks ago as I watched the numbers across the globe, it was not rocket science to see what the US was in for. Which I fully expect to be 100 times that of countries like Italy, China, South Korea and others, as we have a completely failed government at the federal level, incapable of sound leadership or action..

It will be the swift and drastic measures of our State and local governments that may be our saving grace. Because of the US having such a failed federal government, I prepared in plenty of time, weeks ago for what I could see was going to be the inevitable need to simply stay home and self quarantine..

I am not returning to work and kicking in our pre-planned preparations for self quarantine..

Some of the appropriate measures our State governor Inslee has so far initiated include:

1. The closure of all restaurants, bars and recreational facilities.

2. All gatherings with over 50 participants are prohibited and all gatherings under 50 participants are prohibited unless previously announced criteria for public health and social distancing are met.

3. All schools K-12 are now closed through out the entire State

Other happenings in our State include:

4. Washington State universities, colleges, technical, and trade schools are now starting to require students to do their courses online as they either cancel or postpone campus classes.. Students are also beginning to receive notices that they will have to leave their current on campus housing and dorms.

5. Large stores like Walmart, Winco, and Costco that have always been 24 hour stores are now closed from 11:00 pm until 6:00 am

You live in Washington, so I shouldn't be surprised.

But let's try.
1st, I'll absolutely take your exaggeration bet. No, the States will not have a response 100 times as bad as China or Italy.

2nd. Please try to understand that our world is complicated. Just because the current administration did not immediately shut down our whole country does not mean that they are incompetent. It doesn't work that way.

3rd, if you fail to return to work as scheduled, and you are fired for it, you would no longer be able to provide for your family/loved ones. I would suggest you reconsider.

You call Gov. Inslee's measures "appropriate". I do not.

Closing down restaurants, bars, and rec facilities will bankrupt a lot of small businesses.

With regards to the gatherings, I would suggest that the right to assemble is not exclusive to protests. Freedom of assembly - Wikipedia

As for the school closings, who is watching those children right now? All you've done is require one parent to be unable to go to work, unless you are fortunate enough to be able to be a single income household.

detmaintainer

Detroit Maintenance Rat
If the Health dept. or Media gets involved that is probably the only way cleaning will get better. We all know UPS is reactionary to everything except profits. Then they are thinking 3 steps ahead.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
If you don't want to report to work you must call in and provide a reason.
If you have more then 2 unexcused absences in a row you must get a doctor's note or apply for fmla

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Had lunch at a restaurant a while ago with some other retired UPS drivers. Waitress came over to get our food order. I told her I didn't have any money, but I had a brand new roll of Charmin locked up in my pickup outside, and maybe we could work something out. She laughed. She thought I was kidding.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Had lunch at a restaurant a while ago with some other retired UPS drivers. Waitress came over to get our food order. I told her I didn't have any money, but I had a brand new roll of Charmin locked up in my pickup outside, and maybe we could work something out. She laughed. She thought I was kidding.
061A6682-EE8B-49B5-93C8-2119E557B249.gif

Heavy Package

Anyone who thinks this country isn't a bunch of P* look at what is going on right now. Entitlement sheep cry-baby mentality. I touched and delivered every box on my truck today oh the horror!