UPS Issues Social Media Guidelines

959Nanook

Social media monitoring... when I watched the video, I was surprised UPS had only been doing it for about a year in 2008. I remember an event circa 1998 when a Marine on leave had some compromising pictures posted online that social media monitors at Headquarters, Marine Corps were not happy about. Still makes me chuckle a little because the chain of command was catching hell from on high and this Marine wasn't even on the same coast of the country so they were seeing red because there wasn't much they could do about it until he got back from leave and they had him within arm's reach. I probably remember it because the Marine grew up in the same rural county of Missouri as me so I made a call home to make sure he got the word and didn't come back from leave and walk into the ambush unprepared.

Personal stories aside... thanks for posting this. I have been known to post on social media during my lunch break (UPS was the subject of some of them) which is a gray area perhaps but I would rather just avoid it then be the guinea pig for discipline on the matter..

Last edited:

Integrity

Binge Poster
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent UPS's positions, strategies or opinions."

To All,

The UPS Social Media Guidelines issued by UPS is a very fine document with some very important recommendations for all social media users. Like most of UPS documents that I have reviewed it is sound in its ideals, however disingenuous in its purpose. It, like most UPS documents, presents a false image as to how UPS people conduct themselves on a day to day basis.

In my humble opinion, the purpose of this document is an attempt to protect the image of UPS and not the UPS brand. It is my opinion that UPS will eventually use this document to wrongfully discipline employees in an attempt to place the fear of UPS into the social media network in a effort to control or manipulate the network. The UPS Social Media Guidelines is just the beginning.

What can UPS management do to truly protect the UPS brand and not just the image?

More on this topic later.....

"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent UPS's positions, strategies or opinions."

Sincerely,
I

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes

To All,

The UPS Social Media Guidelines issued by UPS is a very fine document with some very important recommendations for all social media users. Like most of UPS documents that I have reviewed it is sound in its ideals, however disingenuous in its purpose. It, like most UPS documents, presents a false image as to how UPS people conduct themselves on a day to day basis.

In my humble opinion, the purpose of this document is an attempt to protect the image of UPS and not the UPS brand. It is my opinion that UPS will eventually use this document to wrongfully discipline employees in an attempt to place the fear of UPS into the social media network in a effort to control or manipulate the network. The UPS Social Media Guidelines is just the beginning.

What can UPS management do to truly protect the UPS brand and not just the image?

More on this topic later.....

Sincerely,
I

What image do you suppose they are trying to protect? Image of the brand, brand image, image, and brand are synonymous. There really is no distinction in any of these terms.

Before one uses the "Image" of righteousness in posts, they should at least have a basic understanding of the topic ????

Integrity

Binge Poster
What image do you suppose they are trying to protect? Image of the brand, brand image, image, and brand are synonymous. There really is no distinction in any of these terms.

Before one uses the "Image" of righteousness in posts, they should at least have a basic understanding of the topic ????

FracusBrown,

Let me try to explain what I mean.

The definition of a brand is a trademark or distinctive name identifying a product or a manufacturer.

Using this definition, I view the UPS brand to stand for the product that UPS actually provides and the manner in which they actually provide the product, which in UPS's case is service.

The definition of image is the character projected to the public, as by a person or institution especially as interpreted by the mass media.

Using this definition, I view the UPS image to stand for the character and integrity that UPS claims to have but actually does not have as they provide their service. I view the UPS image to be even more deceptive with regards to the manner in which their service is carried out.

In my opinion, UPS wants the public or mass media (social media, if you will) to believe that their claims as to how they do business is actually how they do business. In my opinion UPS doesn't even come close to operating as they claim.

Sincerely,
I

Catatonic

Nine Lives
FracusBrown,

The definition of a brand is a trademark or distinctive name identifying a product or a manufacturer.

Using this definition, I view the UPS brand to stand for the product that UPS actually provides and the manner in which they actually provide the product, which in UPS's case is service.

The definition of image is the character projected to the public, as by a person or institution especially as interpreted by the mass media.

Using this definition, I view the UPS image to stand for the character and integrity that UPS claims to have but actually does not have as they provide their service. I view the UPS image to be even more deceptive with regards to the manner in which their service is carried out.

In my opinion, UPS wants the public or mass media (social media, if you will) to believe that their claims as to how they do business is actually how they do business. In my opinion UPS doesn't even come close to operating as they claim.

Sincerely,
I

Are you under the impression you stated something?

You have laid out this structure of a logical argument but then you forgot to include your basis for your conclusion which you state by essentially saying "In my opinion I think UPS is a very, very bad company".

Sorry but this is your weakest presentation so far ... at least your other assertions had an argument to them. I assume you will, at some point, realize you forgot to include some factual (or even made up) observations that back up your conclusion.

Until then, keep on keeping on.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Are you under the impression you stated something?

You have laid out this structure of a logical argument but then you forgot to include your basis for your conclusion which you state by essentially saying "In my opinion I think UPS is a very, very bad company".

Sorry but this is your weakest presentation so far ... at least your other assertions had an argument to them. I assume you will, at some point, realize you forgot to include some factual (or even made up) observations that back up your conclusion.

Until then, keep on keeping on.
Hoaxter,

Thank you for the encouragement to keep moving forward.

My answer to your question is yes.

I gave definitions of the words brand and image and I explained how I applied these definitions in response to a post from FracusBrown.

I was only trying to help him understand my point of view.

I did not essentially say "in my opinion I think UPS is a very, very bad company."

What I stated in my original post in this discussion thread was; "In my humble opinion, the purpose of this document is an attempt to protect the image of UPS and not the UPS brand.

It is my opinion that UPS will eventually use this document to wrongfully discipline employees in an attempt to place the fear of UPS into the social media network in a effort to control or manipulate the network. The UPS Social Media Guidelines is just the beginning."

I am truly sorry you don't like my point of view, I really wasn't trying to persuade anyone to share my viewpoint. If I was trying to convince you; what type of factual observations are you looking for. I do have many, but I am not certain I understand what you are actually talking about.

Sincerely,
I

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hoaxter,

Thank you for the encouragement to keep moving forward.

...but I am not certain I understand what you are actually talking about.

Sincerely,
I

This is a link to a site on developing and presenting Logical Arguments.
The mistake you made is that you went straight to a conclusion without presenting premises and then argument to use those premises to make deductions that leads to a logical conclusion.

http://papyr.com/hypertextbooks/comp1/logic.htm

This is the first one I came to but it seems pretty decent.

While I may not agree with yours (and many others) positions and conclusions, I always respect a well-thought out argument and presentation.

One think I do like about you is your undying politeness ... seriously. That speaks well for you.

perhaps I came down a little hard on you but your pretentiousness tends to rev up my skepticism sensors. :peaceful:

Integrity

Binge Poster
This is a link to a site on developing and presenting Logical Arguments.
The mistake you made is that you went straight to a conclusion without presenting premises and then argument to use those premises to make deductions that leads to a logical conclusion.

http://papyr.com/hypertextbooks/comp1/logic.htm

This is the first one I came to but it seems pretty decent.

While I may not agree with yours (and many others) positions and conclusions, I always respect a well-thought out argument and presentation.

One think I do like about you is your undying politeness ... seriously. That speaks well for you.

perhaps I came down a little hard on you but your pretentiousness tends to rev up my skepticism sensors. :peaceful:
Hoaxter,

Thank you for the link and for the compliment.

I will check out the link.

I always enjoy your contributions to the Brown Cafe community.

Sincerely,
I

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I believe freedom of speech and freedom to express one's thoughts, is just that. I won't say EVERYTHING that I think, but don't punish me for expressing myself with MY words. My "new" signature says it all.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
FracusBrown,

Sincerely,
I

UPS has one of the most recognizable and respected brands (brand, image, or whatever you chose to call it) in the world. They want to protect their reputation from unnecessary harm. You make it sound as if this a a criminal offense when it's just good business sense. All businesses seek to promote a positive image to their customers.

They also want to establish a clear policy so they can take corrective action against those who fail to comply. Prior to this, there was no rule or policy, therefore it can't be enforced.

Step one - Establish rule or policy. Step two - communicate rule or policy. Step three - enforce rule or policy.