Ups Lies

Hangingon

I have a 1PM PU in my business. Now at 1 PM I'm normally an hour into my resi's and my center staff did not want me breaking off and lowering my SPHOR by going back. They decided a driver in a different area but physically closer should swing by to complete the PU. This worked until the cover driver didn't check the commit time on scheduled PUs and didn't go by until 4. They called in a corporate complaint and now I'm told to go ahead and break off no matter what and pick it up by 1, even if it means 40 mins out of my day. So I'd say calling in a corporate complaint will take care of your problem with the local level quick.

outta hours

ms swing- I have been driving for over 20 years with great service and not 1 customer complaint in all those years. I do care about service but somebody complaining about a 30 min difference in pickup times for a few days needs a reality check. Especially if you are married to a driver you should know better. You say you ship 25-30 pkgs a day. Not really a big shipper, quite small actually. I find it hard to believe shipping that few pkgs. a day that you actually recieve more than 1-2 orders between 5:00-5:30. Hence that would be what the drop box is for. If you are that concerned about your customers orders getting out, and you get so many of them after 5:00 why does your company not stay open later to service them? Or do you not care about customer service. Why not stay open 24 hrs? I'm sure your contract with UPS does not guarntee an exact pickup time. Most of the time the rep will ask you what time you would like your pickup. It is not a guarntee. If you read the fine print. As I quote you "maybe you should get your seven year old" to explain it to you. After you or your husband have done my job for over 20 years then come talk to me about taking care of the customer. Until then stick to what you know calling 1-800-PICKUPS and acting like you are the only stop your driver has.

montecarlo12

How does UPS set up there regular pick ups?
Fedex Express gets a 1 hour window from the time the customer sets up a regular pickup, or an oncall to pick up packages. If a regular customer sets up there close time at 1700 I can pick them up any time after 1600. If I pick up a stop early I have to enter the customers name in my power pad showing I was told by the customer that they were all set. If they are not ready I either have to wait or go back between 1600 and 1700. On calls are always a 1 hour window unless the customer leaves us a no close, which lets us work the pick up into our routes. If a customer is not ready, and Im there between the hour window, and I cant wait, the customer has until 1800 to set up another pick up to get us to come back that same day.

retired2000

it is true ups lies. customer service never checks with the driver and asks what time can you make this p/u. they tell the customer what they want to hear. now for the driver if the customer whats say a 5:30 p/u and he is all done for the day except for that last p/u how is he to explain to his sup the 1/2 of down time?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Outa

Yep, with a post like that, I can believe you when you say never a customer complaint.

Ever thought that maybe that 20-30 were all NDA or international? UPS would fire you to keep a customer like that happy and shipping.

Keep your attitude, lose your job, keep your job, lose the attitude.

d

beatupbrown

More then likely the cover driver is running and skipping lunch so he gets done early, and is pushing the pu to get done so he get off the clock.
Bad thing for the normal driver makes him look bad on his numbers.

outta hours

dan>don't really care what you believe. What I say is the truth. Show me anywhere that a pickup time is guarnteed. We are talking about 30 min. here not a big issue. Who the heck calls in a complaint for that. People like that think they are all we have to deal with. Just trying to let her see the other side. No attitude here just the facts. There is a difference between realisim and and a bad attitude. 22 yrs driving ,22 yrs safe driving, no complaints, or lost time injuries. Think UPS is better off without me ? Fire away.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Bottom line is you are a driver. Pure and simple. Pick up times are set by customer account execs that are supposed to network with your management to see to it that what they promise can be done. Your job is to do what they agree on.

What a customer thinks or not is not an issue here. Whether or not she really deserves a 6:30 pickup is not an issue for you to decide either. If UPS wants you to take your P1200 with 6 packages on it, deliver them at 11:59 AM, then sit there till 7PM to pick up one package, why do you think you have the right to argue? Do you run the show? Do you write the paychecks? When the company says the customer is right, who the hell are to you say the customer is wrong?

The driver that really takes care of his customer makes them feel like they are the only ones he ever really takes good care of. If they need you to be there between 6 and 6:05, you need to be there during that time, not before or after. And if management has agreed to that, then who the hell are you to argue, do your job!

As for this customer, it was plain as day to what happened. The cover driver either didn't know or care (we had several like this in our center).

As for the "train the customer attitude" that you have shown, the problem is that was UPS's thinking for many years. Use us, and you have to play by our rules. Problem is that that very thinking has allowed other companies to come in and clean our plow when it comes to taking care of the customer. If the customer base was so happy with UPS and its services, then what room for business would the others have?

BTW, just so you know, I never had to represent a driver in any hearing ever that did not think
I have been driving for over 20 years with great service and not 1 customer complaint in all those years. I do care about service
just like you. But the evidence shown proved otherwise. So your thoughts on your service are impressive, but just that, your thoughts.

Deal with reality. UPS is changing. Change with it or get left behind.

d

over9five

Staff member
You guys are being sucked in by a troll!

C'mon, what customer comes to a UPS discussion board to complain?

Don't you think her comment, "Don't come at 5 and tell me you aren't coming back!" was designed to inflame??

If this were a real customer, this thread should have been ended with one response:

"Direct your concern to 1-800-PICKUPS"

msswing

Whoah there just a sec....my post was not meant to "inflame" anyone. I have been reading these and a member longer than some of these people here....I have chatted with a lot of you......I have read people venting, people complaining, saying thing I don't agree with but have not posted. One time I decided to vent, and you are going to say rude things.

I am not just a "customer" that wants to complain....I am married to UPS. I spoke to my husband about this and luckily he had the same attitude as most of you....customer first. Businesses such as mine are the reason you have a job...which is the one you chose. Just like I do my job, and go over and beyond the call of duty when need be, you should too, otherwise...when your burger isn't cooked right, or your clothes aren't pressed correctly, then don't say anything...after all you are only the PAYING customer.

DS

Fenderbender
I`m with you swingmom.If you pickup time is in the diad board as 5:30 then you have the right to expect just that.If the driver shoes up early.you have every right to either tell him to come back at 5:30 or wait.
and Dan.shame on me? For what, giving the customer what they want?By the way,you are lucky,the cutoff time in our area is 6:30 for oncalls.

Fredly000

Just Another in Brown
dannyboy said:
The shame was for fredly. I know you well enough:cool:
Hey just working as directed. I was informed there was a 30minute
window around the scheduled P/U time, in which the customer should
expect to see the driver, and be prepared for the days P/U.

As for the "train the customer" remark I read earlier. I was trained in
school, to "encourage" your customers to be ready. Meaning everything is
done. Not "OMG the UPS guy is here, can you wait a minute..." Granted
my route my customers are used to me, and my "encouragement" usually
comes in the form of "hey is this package going out? cause its not taped
shut, doesn't look like it wants to go out..." my customers like me. And
even comment that I smile too much, while my smiles sincere or not, its
how they remember me. Unfortunately they have negative comments
about the "other guy" who runs the route from time to time.

Again I was working as directed, until told otherwise by my superiors,
not a message board in the internet. Granted, I start my pickups at
the same time everyday, and it keeps me consistant with my customers.

outta hours

dan- you are right you never would have to represent a driver who sounds like me. I have never been to a panel or even recieved a warning letter. I feel sorry for any drivers you did represent with the attitude you have shown here. They were dead before they ever got in the room with you on their side or NOT. If you think my service level is all talk then I can't imagine why any of this has'nt caught up with me yet .I really hate to stoop and defend my job to some dude I don't know on an internet forum, but you really struck a nerve with me. Ask any customer, supervisor, center mgr., div. mgr. what kind of driver I am and you will get one answer.... the best. That would be their description not mine, I am changing right along with UPS just fine.You are the one left behind since you don't or can't do the job anymore.

-O

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Let me rephrase that to where even you can understand it.

In all my years, every driver that had to have representation by me or any other steward thought of themselves in the same manner you do. Almost word for word. Perfection to a T, if you listen to them. But the evidence showed something else.

Just like your posts to this woman. They show what you are really like, not your impression of your bad self.

Like for instance:

"'"I have 27 pickup accounts. They all want a late pickup. It just ain't gonna happen."'"

Now why ain't it gonna happen? Your attitude? Your job is to make it happen for the customer, not to give your personal views on what you want.

"'"Ms Swing how much do you ship out? You said you have a drop box downstairs. Use it if you still have pkgs. to process after your driver comes by. Or use your time more wisely and complete your shipping duties before 5:00. Pickup times begin as early as 2:30."'"

Why do you feel the need to put the customer down? You dont have a clue as to what she ships out, or what her needs are. If they are a shipper that is preferred, I dont care what your personal view is on what or how much they ship out, just do your job. You did know, by the way, that there are certain shippers that are part of a major UPS contract that have requested a late pickup, and as a tool to keep them in the UPS fold UPS has agreed to pick them up as late as the customer needs us to. Notice I said UPS agreed, what you think or want has nothing to do with the situation.

Maybe your regular driver has a life and therfore now only delivers to you and someone from another area comes by your office and picks you up on his way in. That way your driver can get home at a decent time. Maybe UPS can change your pickup time to 8:00 pm. that will give your office plenty of time to complete their shipping. Hope you don't mind staying late, if your lucky maybe your driver will come by early at 7:30, I bet you would not call in and complain then. Or would you?

This from a customer focused driver? One that cares? I dont think so.

<O:p
I have been driving for over 20 years with great service and not 1 customer complaint in all those years. I do care about service but somebody complaining about a 30 min difference in pickup times for a few days needs a reality check.

Junior, you are the one that needs the reality check. How do you get off talking to a customer that way? And without not one complaint? I smell BS.

Especially if you are married to a driver you should know better.

Maybe her husband is one that really does take care of the customer, and not just give lip service on himself. See, by his example maybe just maybe she knows what constitutes a good driver, and not just someone blowing smoke?

You say you ship 25-30 pkgs a day. Not really a big shipper, quite small actually. I find it hard to believe shipping that few pkgs. a day that you actually recieve more than 1-2 orders between 5:00-5:30. Hence that would be what the drop box is for.

What does how many packages a day going out have to do with it? you trying to justify less than good service because she isn't shipping out 2000 a day? It's called rationalization. This customer, to you, does not deserve consideration. And that is where you are dead wrong. Its not up to you to decide who is the more important customer to you or UPS.

If you are that concerned about your customers orders getting out, and you get so many of them after 5:00 why does your company not stay open later to service them? Or do you not care about customer service. Why not stay open 24 hrs?

Oh so now its her fault that her customers orders are not getting out? When her driver gets there between 5:30-6 and she is expecting the pick up at that time, its her fault? Your sarcasm says volumes.

I'm sure your contract with UPS does not guarntee an exact pickup time. Most of the time the rep will ask you what time you would like your pickup. It is not a guarntee. If you read the fine print.

Oh and now you are psychic. You are an expert in the contract that she has with UPS? Gosh, you are such a whiz kid. A real know it all. And an expert in the fine print too! Damn! Hell, what are you still doing as a driver, you could be the head of our legal department.

As I quote you "maybe you should get your seven year old" to explain it to you.

Maybe I need to have my 7 year old explain to you what after 5:30 means.

After you or your husband have done my job for over 20 years then come talk to me about taking care of the customer.

What an ass. Who says her husband has not done it for 20 years or more? But then, you are soooo special. No one out there does what you do, right? You are the only one that has achieved perfection.

Until then stick to what you know calling 1-800-PICKUPS and acting like you are the only stop your driver has.

Well, I rest my case. You sure sound like someone that really cares about the customer. Every customer. Their special needs and schedules.

Like I said, I smell BS. And like I said, every driver without fail has claimed that they are the best of the best, only to have the proof tell otherwise. And the proof in your case came from your fingertips.

As a shop steward, I would represent you like the rest. And lucky for you and them, I dont judge them and figure I know their needs better than they do. I took care of each and every one of them the same way.
But dont blow smoke up my ::censored2:: . I can tell a BSer when I hear one.

d

outta hours

Danboy- Wow you are so smart, must be tough being a has been. Let it go dude you don't even do the job anymore. Yet you post thousands of messages here like what you say is relevant. It is not. If you were not so full of yourself maybe you would still be working. Not sure if your are retired, fired or on comp (my guess). I work in the real world not some internet fantasy world. All your hot air here is just that not important. So find another battle to fight cause this one is finished, just like you at UPS. Create some new threads about the superbowl or part time pension, or your favorite recipe. And leave the real work to those who still can do it." Boss" of the destitute how arrogant and insignificant.

Outta " Meet the New Boss"

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
ooooohhh, angry? What, you didn't post those ridiculous comments? Junior, I was paving the way for you when you were still pissing your britches.

Bottom line is this. Some things never change. Service is one of them. and by your own words, not mine, you have shown you are totally full of BS. period.

And since you have nothing to say about the subject, but only your feeble attempts to belittle me, I see the discussion is over.

Grow up!

Hangingon

We've always had a few drivers who felt the customers were an inconvenience, but lately it seems alot of the new drivers have taken that attitude. I'm not sure if it is the training or the emphasis lately on numbers and efficiency.