Ups Lies

happybob

Feeders
I'm sorry you are getting the run around Ms Sming. There are many different sugestions offered to you here. Your first action should be to contact your customer service rep. Your packages, be they ground, air or international are very important to the continued success of our company. It does appear that the cover drivers that run your route, when your regular is not in, vacation, sick days, etc., don't put the attention to detail to your companies scheduled pickup time that he does. Over the past 7 or 8 years, right around the time we had a strike, the company has shown an unwillingness to pay attention to the customers needs. Some feel this was because of the many customers that refused to accept deliveries from the supervisors and managers that tried to do our work during the work stoppage. Again, that was just the thoughts of many of the hourly workers, and not the company line. My entire time with the company we have been told to do our pickups as close to the scheduled pickup time as possible. We have been told that if we couldn't make it at the appointed time that we should contact the center for instructions. In most cases we were told to wait at your location to complete the pickup, or go back later to complete it. There are many days that we may finish our runs early and will show up early for our pickups and it's up to the customer to tell us if we could leave. If we were done and had no other work after your pickup then we would contact the center and let them make the decision to have us wait or if they would send someone else for the pickup. You must understand that we may, on occasion be late for your pickup, traffic tieups, on-call pickups and delays caused by other pickups being heavier than normal. I have on many occassions experienced these type delays and we have been told to communicate this to the center when it happens so they can contact our customers about it. We are good, but sadly we can't be perfect all the time. I have over the years had many occassions where I was early for a scheduled pickup and would listen to the customers needs. I've gone back on many occassions and have had other drivers make later pickups that created time problems for me, that's my job and your drivers job, including the cover drivers. Our DIADs have the scheduled pickup times of our customers and we make every effort to comply. A cover driver that shows you he could care less about your needs should be reported to his management team.

If your customer service rep can not fix this problem your next call should be the 800 complaint line. If that doesn't work then you should conact Atlanta with a National complaint. Don't settle for less than 100% satisfaction. That is what you are paying for.

Good luck

psstdrvr

Its amazing how it seems most of the helpful advice is coming from drivers who care about the service our customers receive. management is so overly concerned about their production numbers that they've lost site of what originally made this company successful! It all comes from higher up and until corporate changes its attitude not much will change. Whats this weeks hot issues; spohs, safety, send agains, miss pieces, etc. etc.?? After awhile its like a broken record, no wonder moral is so low at ups.

S

speeddemon

We would all like to be able to get to each pickup at the promised times. But sometimes its just NOT going to happen.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Speed

There are times when things happen. There are also scheduling problems. I understand all that. Nothing that can not be worked out to the satisfaction of all involved.

It is the attitude of outta that shared with us and vented on the customer that was unacceptable. Customers understand and work with drivers that demonstrate you will bend over backward to help them. His attitude, contrary to what he wanted us to believe, showed otherwise.

d

U

UPS MAN

Outa

Yep, with a post like that, I can believe you when you say never a customer complaint.

Ever thought that maybe that 20-30 were all NDA or international? UPS would fire you to keep a customer like that happy and shipping.

Keep your attitude, lose your job, keep your job, lose the attitude.

d

530 pickup seems late to me. All the air in our center needs to be dropped by 5:15 or it doesnt make the plane. That would be much worse than picking up at 4:30. I agree they need to honor the contract but they Rep shouldnt agree to something that cant be done.

disneyworld

I am all for getting you guys (and gals) home at a decent hour, like I said, I am married to a UPS driver....but I too have a job to do and when we have a scheduled pickup at 5:30, then that's when it should be picked up, no earlier. If the 5:30 pickup could not be handled then when we signed the contract we should have been told "I am sorry, we can't do that" We ship at least 20-30 packages a day, too many to be taking to a drop box, hence the need for a pick up. I don't like staying late, but when you have a job to do, and you care about your customers, you are going to stay as long as you have to in order to get it done. It's not a matter of us not having the ability to get it done by 5, but when you get an order at 4:45 and they want it shipped out, and are paying good money to ship it out, you're gonna stay to do it.

How old are you? I am sure my seven year old will understand this mentality....

Great customer service is what keeps most companies going....obviously you are one of those drivers that just does the job without the customer service.
I'm sure the time of the p/u is secondary when a new account is established. UPS just wants those pkgs and they don't care how the p/u is worked into the schedule. Call in a complaint and tell them the pkgs will go to FDX if UPS can't accommodate you.

waggs68

Sorry but not all management feels the same, as a former driver I sympathize, I always went thr extra mile for my customers, you need to look a little higher up the food chain, your supervisor/manager has been neutered.

waggs68

The pickup time depends on how close you are to an air gateway, in my area we have air pickups as late as 9 PM. I agree that BD shouldn't make promises we can't keep, or at least consult the center before making such a deal. Unfortunately, BD is now so numbers driven ( like the centers) that no deal = no pay.

R

rocketman

TO MISS SWING The first person who replied to your bashing of our pick ups was he your husband. if anyone would understand being a little early or late it should be you or maybe your married to a fedex driver who is home by 4 so he can go to his second job in your busy mail room. your lying or just causing trouble.

U

Union local 104

You guys are being sucked in by a troll!

C'mon, what customer comes to a UPS discussion board to complain?

Don't you think her comment, "Don't come at 5 and tell me you aren't coming back!" was designed to inflame??

If this were a real customer, this thread should have been ended with one response:

"Direct your concern to 1-800-PICKUPS"

You sound just like mangament. This goes on all of the time
And people like you close your eyes. And sit behind a desk and do nothing.

SmithBarney

wow, didn't think I had been in this topic...

To get it fixed the first time: call the 800 # file a complaint.
While it might mean the drivers job(or maybe not)

I guarentee your pick-up will be at your regular time.

It happened to a lady driver, in our center..

Ms. Swing I understand your concern. They say that the customer is first and in a sence thats true to them but in a sence its a lie as well. If the customer was first there wouldn't be so many damages. take a look at the website United Package Smashers and that will show you what UPS thinks of their customers.

A

answer to your pick up

We have a policy where we pick up either 15 minutes before or after YOUR stated pickup time.
CALL 1800 pickups. hit 0 to talk to a human

complain LOUDLY. this generates a concern which Management hates.

In CA we are changing all the board times to the correct times to force our coverage drivers to follow OUR times. If I am ever early and I want to blow out I ask if its ok that I am early, if the customer says they need time I wait. However if I am at their stated time and I cannot wait I will have to move on, but I always try to come up with a solution.

Ive had route where my last pick up was at 730 ( no joke) it was a 15 million dollar account, and we serviced them as best we could (which neither DHL or FED EX could match). Over the day 3 drivers would pick up 800 - 3000 pieces.
It put a couple of routes on the road.

frownbrown

just to let you know what is happening at our center - a warning letter will be issued to anyone picking up outside of a 15 min. window of normal pick up times. hopefully this will filter into your location soon...

lp59pete

We had a lot more flexability in accomodating customers needs when we didn't have another 50 delivery stops after pickups! They've cut so many routes in our center that several drivers go out each day with nearly 200 delivery stops--often over 200. This is in the summer. They have to drive back to the center and dump their pickup pieces then go back out and finish deliveries. It's so much harder now than just 10 years ago;I wonder how many drivers are going to make it to retirement. I could never stand around for half an hour or I wouldn't get done at all.

rod

Retired 22 years
just to let you know what is happening at our center - a warning letter will be issued to anyone picking up outside of a 15 min. window of normal pick up times. hopefully this will filter into your location soon...
Wow - they still send warning letters? I thought all they did now was fire you one day and then after a waste of time and money (both union and company) they took you back. I think 90% of the employees at my old center (encluding me) has been fired at least once by some stressed out management that didn't know how to deal with a situation other than getting flustered and screaming "your fired". Now it's become just a joke to be fired. It's more of a short unpaid vacation except to those who grieved it and get backpay.:tongue_sm