UPS Loaders, how Does your Facility Handle Miss Loads?

djkre8r

I have received about 5 intent to discharges in 2 months for missloads. While I do try my best to correct the problem - I just seem to have them. I have asked numerous times to be moved to an unload position and they refuse. They say that is not fixing the problem. I have also filed for harassment (and "won") and I think they are getting the message. Don't bother me while I am loading! This also happened before when the same center manager was a SUP. Now that he is back I have been threatened numerous times with my job. By the way - you are human and humans do make mistakes. Just file on it and go back to work! I have not lost a day of work over this.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I have received about 5 intent to discharges in 2 months for missloads. While I do try my best to correct the problem - I just seem to have them. I have asked numerous times to be moved to an unload position and they refuse. They say that is not fixing the problem. I have also filed for harassment (and "won") and I think they are getting the message. Don't bother me while I am loading! This also happened before when the same center manager was a SUP. Now that he is back I have been threatened numerous times with my job. By the way - you are human and humans do make mistakes. Just file on it and go back to work! I have not lost a day of work over this.

You have a contractual right to move to the unload when the first available position opens. Read your contract.

deeznutz

37 is the record

I know a guy who had 37 misloads one day...thats the record at our hub. He was just reassigned and is now making big bucks driving a package car. Every belt has a 1 to 10 misloads on any given day, they threaten but only reassign if the problem persists for a long time.

Just tel em it could have been a driver...they are always in and out of trucks on my pool...on and off the clock.

JDAM00

I appreciate everyone's input. I'll try to reply to everyone's questions or statements.

1) when I received my warning letter, I had a new employee with only 16 days seniority loading my truck ( helping) for over an hour. He admitted to getting 10 miss loads one day the week before. When I brought this to managements attention, he got a warning letter, and so did I. So blaming it on drivers, who do help load the Trucks at the end of my shift won't fly. I will be writing a rebuttal to the letter stating that incase I end up in arbitration.

It was very strange how it all went down, Tuesday the rule was more than 1 miss load was a letter, then Wednesday it was just one, then Friday 4 loaders received article 7's.

3) I do understand that miss loads cost ups money, and think setting up a consequence for problems with miss loads makes sense. I do think never getting one may be impossible.

There was a strange arrangement made a few months ago. The two driver supervisors would drive around, pick up miss loads and deliver them. Our union steward had an arrangement that they wouldn't greave that, if they didn't give warning letters to loaders. I guess things have changed from that. I do know now that drivers are grieving them now.

Today did show a little promise. Our supervisor gave a pass to anyone who had a miss load today. I ultimately think it was an attempt to get the miss loads in the building under control and there will be a balance the next few weeks.

JDAM00

We have a new guy running our facility. Some pretty tight changes have been made. Most make sence. One thing he really tightened up on were consequences for miss loads. I was wondering what the policy for some of the other facilities are?

Right now we are set up as 1 miss load = warning letter. A second = an article 7, 1 day working or non working suspension, then 3 day, 5 day, etc.

If you had a business that delivered package and you guaranteed that every package would be delivered on the day it arrived at your building. What would you do if you have employees that for whatever reason put the packages on the wrong car and caused the packages not to be delivered. Since you promised every customer if their package was not delivered on the day it was supposed to the you owe them a refund, every time a package was not delivered you lost money.. Now let me ask you again if you owned a company that delivered packages and every time one of your employees cause a package not to be delivered because they did not do the job they were paid for , causing you to loose money and your reputation....What would you do?

Would you say oh well it just a little mistake?
Would you let it go?
Or would you fix the problem?

Understand I'm not posting saying that this is ridiculous, or this is wrong, or that we (loaders) are being abused. I am just trying to get a feel for how other facilities handle miss loads, and essentially asking if the current setup we have now makes sense to people. I think miss loads are a problem and understand that the company as a whole are trying to reduce them.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Re: 37 is the record

Why in the world would a driver purposely misload a package??

We had a driver here fired for stealing time because he would put missloads in his own car so he could deliver them later. He was brought back 3 months later. Funny, the preloader that was working his car said " hey, if he wanted missloads I couldve given him a few myself ".

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Its always a flavor of the week type deal when it comes to missloads.

Missloads really should never happen. Follow the slap and take it to the right car and shelf or floor space, its not rocket surgery. Preload is actually quite simple, as long as you know where things should go.

I've seen people being written up over one. Seen letters of termination over a reoccuring missload problem. Yet I see it all as harassment, should be filed for and it can go away for awhile. The following to which may come is something I'd rather stay away from.

It boils down to the amount of missloads. Some will tell you 1 in 10,000, some will say 1 a month. Firing a preloader is not something they are going to do. Theres horrible ones here and everywhere else in the US. They remain because preload usally has the turn over rate for the building. Ours is 70% on the preload. For them to let one go is like punching oneself in the face.

J

jibbs

We have a set ratio (1 in XXXX is allowed ... I'm not certain what it is anymore, it decreases every year). If it isn't met, progressive disciple is issued. They fire quite a few people for misloads, but I don't believe anybody who's grieved it (in my building) has lost their job. They use to come back to the unload, but then management realized that people would rather do that anyway, so now they just toss them back to the lines.

There's only one guy in particular I know of that catches a lot of BS for his work quality/pace. The only consequences he sees are being put on my belt with the supe that's cool with him, but yells at him constantly, incessantly, and consistently every time he's back there.

For my intents and purposes here, we'll call him Bob:

Supe: Wake up, Bob! You can't be draggin' your feet like that back here, I don't know what the **** you thought you were comin' into this mornin' but that ain't it!
Supe: Bob! The **** you doin'?! Clear the rollers, Bob, stop draggin' your gosh darn feet!
Supe: Get up, Bob! The hell you doin' sittin' down with all these damn boxes on the belt?!

^^That's pretty much the extent of his progressive discipline, lol. He'll hear it all shift but there's no real weight behind it. "Bob" laughs it off so the rest of us do as well. The only problem is that when he's back there with us our belt's perfect load rates tend to get messed up. We'll only go like a week or two with no misloads at all (there's only 4 of us on my belt with a max of 14 trucks + a supervisor), but when he's back there we friend*in' know that we'll be hearing about misloads the next day.

Drink Craft Beer

We have a new guy running our facility. Some pretty tight changes have been made. Most make sence. One thing he really tightened up on were consequences for miss loads. I was wondering what the policy for some of the other facilities are?

Right now we are set up as 1 miss load = warning letter. A second = an article 7, 1 day working or non working suspension, then 3 day, 5 day, etc.

Whatever you do, don't sign anything admitting to guilt or at fault for the mis-load(s). They'll want you to so they can use those admissons of guilt against you at a future discipline hearing. You're not obligated to sign anything.

Like others have said, you are human and make mistakes. Nobody is perfect.

Drink Craft Beer

Read the contract----there are documents that you are required to sign.

No ****.

But when it comes to mis-loads and they try to get you sign something admitting that you (pre-loader) were at fault, there's nothing in the contract. Just like the imaginary number of packages that spa people or D-cap worker(s) have to scan per minute. Or the un-loader has to get out of an 100%'er in under an hour or face the consequenses.

Drink Craft Beer

Doesn't matter? Of course it matters. If I'm presented with documents about "if the soup has gone over the 8 keys to lifting and lowering or have you heard the tornado siren in the last __ months. 5 keys to prevent slips and falls etc..etc... then yes, I sign them.

But when it comes to mis-loads or out of sync's and they try to get you sign something admitting that you (pre-loader) were at fault, there's nothing in the contract says you have to sign and they cannot discipline you for NOT signing it.

There are many long time pre-loaders / PT'ers that UPS would love to get rid of due to how much they're making. Wouldn't put it past them to throw a few mis-loads into a car while loader(s) are on their 10min break or any other time for that matter.

UPSGUY72

Re: 37 is the record

A driver can accidentally misload a package. We are all human an capable of making misteaks er mistakes. Aren't we?

If I'm misloading a package it's the overweight under the belt and it's going on the car next to mine before that driver gets up to his car......:upssmiley:

JDAM00

I don't sign anything unless I have my union steward present and he tells me I have to sign it, and he explains to me the ramifications of the signature. I also have the forms for a rebuttal to fill out for when I receive my warning letter. I guess it'll only be used if I'm fired, and am in arbitration. I doubt it'll ever get that far but it'll be good to have that filled out just incase.

its hard for me to just slow down. I take a lot of pride in my loads. I explained in another thread There's the pal system and the way I do it. I know all my driver dock deliveries and put them in the back of the truck in order from back to front, put overweights on the floor in the back so drivers can easily get them out the back door. Put most bulk stops on the floor, always making sure its the same address. I'll bury long awkward pieces that are scheduled for late in the day so the driver doesn't trip or have to move it 20 times. Although the packages are the same pal I always look at the address, and if there are multiple stops with the same pal I always put the same address together and always put them in ascending order. Sometimes that means moving 10 pkgs at the end of the day so I can put a carpet that isn't going to be delivered till 5pm behind them. I even put all the next day savers off to the side in a pile so the driver can see them, know exactly where they are, and that they match up with his DIAD. My drivers love it.

I've always seen it as "I work for the driver, I'm here to make his day as easy as possible". The last week I have come up with a system, a way to triple check that the right package is in the right car. First I see the # on the belt, then when I walk into the car I look again, see the truck # and read where it goes in the truck, and every time I place it as I let go I look at the pal# again to make sure everything's right. It's been working so far but it slows me down.

I think in time ill have a good system down and be able to move fast with it. I appreciate everyone's input.

mixyo

Dispatcher
Sup: "You need to be sure you're double-checking to make sure the packages are going in the right cars"
Me: "OK."

FWIW I only have misloads when they **** up the PAL's. Not very often, but it happens. No big deal.