UPS Mail Innovations - I think it sucks

AMTK54

Yes, UPS employees are partially to blame for SurePost, since high compensation packages figure into the high cost of shipping. But UPS management exploited the USPS's Parcel Post program, at a time when Airborne was floundering with it. One has to wonder if UPS didn't jump on board, if FedEx would've acquired SmartPost... ultimately bleeding to the monster today.

In my mind, FedEx Smartpost is the biggest problem. I don't have a tremendous problem with Surepost. At least that package is being sorted and transported (at least 90% of the way) by unionized employees. Although I lament the loss of volume to UPS drivers, the fact of the matter is that other competitors are forcing our hand here. Heck, I don't really even mind the USPS delivering it, as they are also unionized employees being paid decent wages. Different company, different union, sure, but the principle of the matter is what matters to me most.

My problem is more is more when we cede that volume to FedEx, which fully exploits the independent contractor model and pays substandard wages. Ultimately, that puts pressure on companies for a race to the bottom, which hurts everyone. If we can keep most of the sorting and transportation in house, great. Not ideal, but a lot better than the alternative.

I do have a problem, though, with companies that don't give the consumer the option to upgrade to Ground. Most of the time, I'd rather upgrade and get the full advantage of a UPS delivery to my door. Some people won't want to pay for that service, and that's fine. But to route my package via Surepost/Smartpost and not even given me the option to upgrade for a dollar or two more, that irritates me.

Integrity

Binge Poster
What the heck are you babbling about? Most people don't give a dang who delivers their package, as long as it's received undamaged and in a timely fashion. The fault most people have with SurePost, and equivalent services, is that it's slow. As a consumer, SurePost is the most timely service -- at least one day longer than ground, occasionally two. FedEx SmartPost travels to a SmartPost hub about 60 miles from me, which then sorts & bags the packages, dropping them off at the local USPS mega hub -- which adds at least two days to the transit time. The worst is DHL's Global Mail; DHL has few facilities, so it's not uncommon for packages traveling 500-miles to flow double that through DHL, taking an excessive two weeks for delivery. Heck, I ordered something from a company directly across the street from my UPS hub, thinking it'd arrive within a couple days. Instead, it flowed to a DHL Global Mail hub several hundred miles from my house, ultimately arriving nearly two weeks later. Honestly, I'd pay an extra few bucks to get my stuff faster through UPS/FedEx Ground, but rarely is that option offered. Instead, it's typically second/next day upgrades.

Yes, UPS employees are partially to blame for SurePost, since high compensation packages figure into the high cost of shipping. But UPS management exploited the USPS's Parcel Post program, at a time when Airborne was floundering with it. One has to wonder if UPS didn't jump on board, if FedEx would've acquired SmartPost... ultimately bleeding to the monster today.
Bagels,

Based upon your response or more like non-response. It doesn't surprise me that you don't understand.

Sincerely,
I

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Bagels,

Based upon your response or more like non-response. It doesn't surprise me that you don't understand.

Sincerely,
I

You're right. It's hard to comprehend when somebody's babbling on about nothing. It's like talking to an infant... but when we talk to infants, at least we feel good about it.

graf606

This collaboration with the USPS is giving UPS a serious black eye. This is one of the most unreliable delivery systems I ever seen. The service must be unbelievably inexpensive because it is now the standard shipping choice for a very large number of online businesses, who formerly offered a reliable, timely standard shipping choice, such as UPS Ground. I recently ordered textbooks online from 4 different online stores and purely by coincidence, all the orders were shipped via Mall Innovations. From what I can tell by the tracking information, UPS did their part but once it was turned over to the post office, all hell broke loose. One book arrives 2 days after the projected delivery date on the tracking page. Another arrived a week late with no USPS updates shown in the tracking info. It has been over 3 weeks since these packages have been shipped and the remaining 2 have yet to arrive. One has no tracking updates since it was accepted by USPS, and the other is touring the country. It was shipped from TN to NY. The tracking info somehow shows the acceptance by USPS in both Buffalo and Pittsburgh on the same day. Instead of NY, tracking info showed it arrived in Richmond CA, quite far from NY, three days later. It sat for another 3 days until its departure was posted. 3 days later, it departed Warrendale PA. I thought delivery was at finally at hand until today's update shows my package's arrival in Bell Gardens CA. Needless to say, classes have started and the missing textbooks had to be repurchased elsewhere, as it appears neither of the remaining may show up at all. Reading complaints across the internet tells me the ridiculously unreliable delivery service of Mail Innovations is widespread. It's difficult to understand why UPS, known worldwide as a reliable, efficient delivery service, would want to align itself with this service or have it's good name associated with it. In fact, I can't understand why the USPS, always looking offer new and better services in an attempt to right their sinking ship, would be ok with providing this hapless service.