UPS Management is so heartless

Thebrownblob

I have to admit that when both my Mother and Dad died when I was working UPS stepped up to the plate. They sent flowers, had someone attend the funerals and gave me all the time I wanted off. It must be a small center thing. On the other hand we had a center manager whos Dad died at the height of peak and the idiot who filled in for him made the comment to us during the AM meeting that he couldn't have been a very good Dad--dying during Peak like that.
I had flowers sent to both grandparents funerals as well as my dad‘s.

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

He's already back to work, he was out for about 3 weeks...... This whole building is terrible to be honest..... A few years ago a driver died, during peak, they kept making his route heavier and heavier every day, he was a driver a driver that was always back to he building by 7, even during peak. This particular week they loaded up his route and he coming back every night around 10ish... he collapsed and went into a coma and died. He told them his route too heavy, he had over 300 stops that day. He was with the company for 19 years in his 40's. Not one supervisor attended the funeral.
Same deal here a few years back. Driver just dropped dead of a heart attack in the back of the truck. No one noticed until the home owner out front came to check on why the car hadn’t moved. Guy was blown out that day and complaining that morning about how heavy he was. The PCM the next day was a heartless 45 second talk about how to avoid stress. When I first started a beloved driver died and the company brought every driver in and the supervisors browned up, they ran every route and got everyone done by 5 and had a couple volunteers work late to get pickups and letterboxes and it took an hour just to get to the guys casket to pay your respects. Damn near everyone showed up. Drivers, management, local union guys. Just a few years later a driver died during peak and I wanted to go to the wake on Saturday and they threatened me with a warning letter if I didn’t come in. This place got real heartless real quick.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
Luckily granny peaced out on a Wednesday…I got Thursday/Friday off long weekend to celebrate granny’s passing. 🥃 🪓

Can’t believe the guys who will not exercise our rights for funerals because of managements lack of training.

love you grandma!
🧔✊

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
ya , it a kick in the teeth when they asked me for a funeral notice when my Father in Law died and we had to go up to Utah.

But then again we have had employees abuse this by having family die every couple months or so. They caught one guy lying about it and since then everyone had to show proof.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I used to tell my center manager i sure hoped I died at work as he'd have to fill out an assload of paperwork over it,get dinged huge on his safety report, worka VERY long day AND last but not least have to say nice things about me to my wife.

My mother passed away a couple of years ago and The Company did not send flowers nor send any Management to the visitation or Funeral. My Local sent Flowers and came to both the Viewing and Funeral.

SandSpida

I used to tell my center manager i sure hoped I died at work as he'd have to fill out an assload of paperwork over it,get dinged huge on his safety report, worka VERY long day AND last but not least have to say nice things about me to my wife.

My mother passed away a couple of years ago and The Company did not send flowers nor send any Management to the visitation or Funeral. My Local sent Flowers and came to both the Viewing and Funeral.

This paragraph is hysterical.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer

This paragraph is hysterical.
It infuriated him to no end ,his eyes would bulge out and he'd yell GET TO WORK!!!!!!

DriverNerd

and it took an hour just to get to the guys casket to pay your respects. Damn near everyone showed up.
You can always tell the real good guys based on their funerals. My cousin (a great guy) died in a car accident and his wake was from 3-7. Last person left at 10:30. The funeral the next morning was more of the same. The showing was unbelievable but understandable based on the kind of person he was. So much crying.

Ihatebrown

That sucks, I agree but don’t put your worth into what management thinks about you. When they violate your contractual right file
A grievance, When you get hurt get a lawyer, it’s not personal, it’s business.
In 21 years I have only filed a grievance once, they retaliate a lot in this building so I pick my battles.

Ihatebrown

sad. In both cases at our hub it was not work related. One was family problems.
The other may have been an accident. Using cough syrup with pain killers? something like that.
But it was a well known fact the driver had severe depression.

One of the managers died of a heart attack at age 50. I felt bad because I yelled at him about something.
he was actually not a bad guy for a manager. He had a heart......meaning that he cared.

Those type of guys never last. They either die or go out on stress leave and quit.

Pretty sad that this company believes everyone is expendable.
None of mine were work related, in fact all 3 were over women. 2 shot themselves and one walked out into traffic on a major highway behind our hub. 2 were getting divorced and 1 his wife would leave him and come back, leave come back and every time he took her back, the last time she left he just ended it all. I talked 2 of the men regularly too, I was heartbroken.

DriverNerd

None of mine were work related, in fact all 3 were over women. 2 shot themselves and one walked out into traffic on a major highway behind our hub. 2 were getting divorced and 1 his wife would leave him and come back, leave come back and every time he took her back, the last time she left he just ended it all. I talked 2 of the men regularly too, I was heartbroken.
Wow that's depressing. Divorce happens especially to those working long hours, but man that's just awful.

Appvol

When my grandpa died when I told my center manager that I would miss a day the 1st thing he said is you don’t get paid for it.

clean hairy

When my FIL passed away on a thurs years ago, called to let mgmt know I was using funeral leave.
The manager said if I did not report for work on fri, I would be fired for job abandoment.
Hung up, called the union, was asked how much time I wanted (any days beyond funeral leave would be unpaid) just to take as much I wanted.
Let them know, and was informed mgr would be dealt with!
He was no where to be found when I came back...

Whereistheunion

I have never worked for a company more cold hearted than UPS. When my father passed in 2003 I called in and the first thing my manager said was bring in proof from the funeral home so I could get paid for bereavement leave. No sorry for your loss, no how are you doing, no nothing.

Last week a driver who has been with the company for 26 years, his wife passed away, no condolence, no sorry for your loss, no card, no flowers no nothing. When he came back to work not one Manager, Supervisor, On road supervisor none of them said anything to him. This is one of their best drivers, never complains always comes to work just a nice guy all around.

I guess he's too brown to be shown any human decency, I guess shouldn't be surprised I witnessed so many despicable managers at this company, so I shouldn't be surprised.
I believe this is normal, it's UPS. My brother passed away and I had to bring his obituary to get (paid day )for his funeral. This was roughly 20yrs ago, no flowers no are you ok, just strictly business.

vvv

Would you honestly want someone from management to show up, or even send flowers?

C'mon now!!

JustDeliverIt

This is the one thing I have ever had an issue with at UPS. My MIL and 2 grandparents have passed in my time at UPS, was always paid and given as much time as needed. Management even sent flowers to my home with the last one.