UPS Management is so heartless

Thebrownblob

I never understand why people get offended about the company asking for an obituary or some sort of proof. But perhaps that’s because I’ve been to quite a few panels where a member has actually lied about a family member dying,to get paid. That’s some really bad karma😬! I guess we just can’t have nice things lol.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Would you honestly want someone from management to show up, or even send flowers?

C'mon now!!
I had 35 years of service at the time. Regardless of my personal feelings toward some individuals in management it was very disrespectful of the company to not, at the very least. send flowers . I was not surprised

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Asking for proof is a reasonable request.
Had a co-workers who over the decades had 7 grand fathers die.
Every time someone with the same last name died , he claimed it was a relative and took time off.
I told him once not to try to claim a recent death as a relative since I knew that one.

Poop Head

Judge me.
My funeral is gonna be sweeet. Gonna invite only my enemies. Gonna have my corpse dumped into a giant tank full of piranhas. Make them watch. Then a fish dinner afterwards. ✊💩

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I have never worked for a company more cold hearted than UPS. When my father passed in 2003 I called in and the first thing my manager said was bring in proof from the funeral home so I could get paid for bereavement leave. No sorry for your loss, no how are you doing, no nothing.

Last week a driver who has been with the company for 26 years, his wife passed away, no condolence, no sorry for your loss, no card, no flowers no nothing. When he came back to work not one Manager, Supervisor, On road supervisor none of them said anything to him. This is one of their best drivers, never complains always comes to work just a nice guy all around.

I guess he's too brown to be shown any human decency, I guess shouldn't be surprised I witnessed so many despicable managers at this company, so I shouldn't be surprised.
Work and collect the paycheck. Truth is, nobody cares. They were just honest in showing it.

vvv

I had 35 years of service at the time. Regardless of my personal feelings toward some individuals in management it was very disrespectful of the company to not, at the very least. send flowers . I was not surprised
Brother, they can give a crap about you regardless of the years and you know that very well. All it would be would be to show false sympathy due to the unfortunate event. I don't know about you, but I can't stand people being fake and two face over anything.
I'd be pissed if they sent anything and hoist em' out the frigging back door

Kingofthenorth

3 drivers in my building have killed themselves
When I started driving for UPS multiple people in my hub kept staring at me. Eventually I asked why. I was told a few months before I started there was a driver at UPS who looked like me. He was always pushed by management to go faster and his numbers were insane, doing multiple days of work everyday. Despite this management kept trying to get him to go even faster, improve further. Eventually, he shot himself in the head and died due to the stress.

Ihatebrown

I never understand why people get offended about the company asking for an obituary or some sort of proof. But perhaps that’s because I’ve been to quite a few panels where a member has actually lied about a family member dying,to get paid. That’s some really bad karma😬! I guess we just can’t have nice things lol.
It's not being offended, but If you tell someone your parent has died, the first thing out of your mouth shouldn't be to produce documents to confirm that you're not lying. Anyone body with a heart or some common decency would first offer condolences, if that how you treat people in your life. I will pray for you and hope that one day you find compassion.

Ihatebrown

Follow the methods, stand up for yourself, and never be scared to file a legit grieve. If and/or when they retaliate go ahead and file Art 37 on that too. :wink-very:
that doesn't work around here, trust me I have seen Shop Stewards get fired around here for filing a lot of grieves and they plot and plot for years.

Box Ox

It's not being offended, but If you tell someone your parent has died, the first thing out of your mouth shouldn't be to produce documents to confirm that you're not lying.

Consider yourself lucky if you don't have a psychopath center manager that you would have expected that or worse from before they even said a word.

Thebrownblob

It's not being offended, but If you tell someone your parent has died, the first thing out of your mouth shouldn't be to produce documents to confirm that you're not lying. Anyone body with a heart or some common decency would first offer condolences, if that how you treat people in your life. I will pray for you and hope that one day you find compassion.
It’s a business, Time and time again I’ve sat in on cases where a member lied. It is what it is. And I’ve never had A member of management at UPS not offer condolences, whether they meant it or not is debatable. Whether or not I cared about their condolences was also debatable. Most in management I do not look at as my peer, or my better so I really don’t care what they think.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
If you’re looking for people in management that care about you, UPS isn’t the place to look. Anticipate a negative or insensitive response and produce the documents. They don’t care about you. You want sympathy? Try the dictionary, between Sheet and Syphilis.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Most posts here are related to death ,, mine is birth ,,, I called in at 6 am to tell them I was rushing my wife to the hospital , dead silence , then was asked what time you think you'll be in ??
I was young and dumb , thought I'd get is a she ok ,

Told them she was going to have a baby ,, the response...... did her water break ??
Can you come in and do a 4 hr day ,, are you sure the baby's coming today ??
Told them only the lord God knows that and the dr ,, Told him to gfys. Nurse had to sit me down and took my bp

Thebrownblob

Most posts here are related to death ,, mine is birth ,,, I called in at 6 am to tell them I was rushing my wife to the hospital , dead silence , then was asked what time you think you'll be in ??
I was young and dumb , thought I'd get is a she ok ,

Told them she was going to have a baby ,, the response...... did her water break ??
Can you come in and do a 4 hr day ,, are you sure the baby's coming today ??
Told them only the lord God knows that and the dr ,, Told him to gfys. Nurse had to sit me down and took my bp

Thats awful,
It definitely must depend on the people in charge at your location. All three of my kids were born while I worked at UPS never once was questioned about taking time off, and received a blanket with their name embroidered.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Thats awful,
It definitely must depend on the people in charge at your location. All three of my kids were born while I worked at UPS never once was questioned about taking time off, and received a blanket with their name embroidered.
That was in 1990. Different times Still left a sore spot with me , those people long gone

PT 4 Life

Most-Hated Member
It’s a business, Time and time again I’ve sat in on cases where a member lied. It is what it is. And I’ve never had A member of management at UPS not offer condolences, whether they meant it or not is debatable. Whether or not I cared about their condolences was also debatable. Most in management I do not look at as my peer, or my better so I really don’t care what they think.

I just simply don’t associate with management. Say hi and bye that’s it. It’s business at the end day people aren’t here to comfort you. The only thing I like to see is giving an employee time off when it comes to family and death.

Core

We got a new center manager three or four months ago. He still hasn’t introduced himself to Any of us. I always thought a leader would be more friendly and hands on with there employees

Core

I have never worked for a company more cold hearted than UPS. When my father passed in 2003 I called in and the first thing my manager said was bring in proof from the funeral home so I could get paid for bereavement leave. No sorry for your loss, no how are you doing, no nothing.

Last week a driver who has been with the company for 26 years, his wife passed away, no condolence, no sorry for your loss, no card, no flowers no nothing. When he came back to work not one Manager, Supervisor, On road supervisor none of them said anything to him. This is one of their best drivers, never complains always comes to work just a nice guy all around.

I guess he's too brown to be shown any human decency, I guess shouldn't be surprised I witnessed so many despicable managers at this company, so I shouldn't be surprised.
We had a 15 yr employee pass away and they tried stopping us from going to the funeral. It took a Facebook post that went viral for them to bring people down to cover us