UPS mechanics-are you Teamsters or IAM?

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
When people bitch about what I do I either say, "you can apply for the job and good luck" or "let's swap jobs...I bet I could do yours and I highly doubt you could do mine"

Lol I would love to see some of these guys trying to do either a PE or automotive job at UPS... Go fix a air trailer road call or a belt breaking down on the primary in the middle of a sort.

These guys don't understand how much time is wasted on stupidity. Both from the drivers and management.
Honestly, I am surprised anything gets fixed around here.

Plus, This is nothing like bringing your personal car in for service. I did that for 18 years before UPS. Here I have 35 or so trucks I have to manage plus dealing with delays and I handle a lot of the parts duty as well. If it's not important it waits until I have time. I would love to make all the trucks perfect but that is not realistic in this environment

Last edited:

Integrity

Binge Poster
I've got some questions about the difference for skilled labor being represented by Teamsters or IAM. Were covered right now by teamsters and there is a local IAM. I'm thinking for what we do, the better representation would be with the IAM. If you dont want to respond on here as to not ruffle feathers, please feel free to PM me.

Thanks
I am pretty sure our PE mechanics are Teamsters.

Returntosender

I'm a PE mechanic so your bitching is not directed at me...nice try
Why do you guys destroy a car with a new engine inside under 30,000 miles. Why not spend the less money to have mechanics remove the engine and put in storage. In case a car needs a new one is on hand. Mechanic cost to remove and place engine in storage 400-500. Buy rebuilt engine 10,0000!

rod

Retired 22 years
Why do you guys destroy a car with a new engine inside under 30,000 miles. Why not spend the less money to have mechanics remove the engine and put in storage. In case a car needs a new one is on hand. Mechanic cost to remove and place engine in storage 400-500. Buy rebuilt engine 10,0000!
What the hell kind of rebuilt engine are you buying for $10,000? That sounds way to much

Ifixbrokenthings

Nor/mal, I identify as default settings
Lol I would love to see some of these guys trying to do either a PE or automotive job at UPS... Go fix a air trailer road call or a belt breaking down on the primary in the middle of a sort.

These guys don't understand how much time is wasted on stupidity. Both from the drivers and management.
Honestly, I am surprised anything gets fixed around here.

Plus, This is nothing like bringing your personal car in for service. I did that for 18 years before UPS. Here I have 35 or so trucks I have to manage plus dealing with delays and I handle a lot of the parts duty as well. If it's not important it waits until I have time. I would love to make all the trucks perfect but that is not realistic in this environment

Yup. People wanna bitch when the sort is running and I don't have any busy work to do, but when a belt rips or a drive and motor take a :censored2:, they treat me like I'm superman for getting it fixed so quickly. I will never apologize because I put in the time and learned the skills to have the job that I have. Its inherent of the job that I do that there will be down time.

rod

Retired 22 years
Well I now the newer ones here are Mercedes engine and sprinter body style. I think they have so old Manual transmissions still around
Mercedes engines? Probably is 10 thousand then. UPS should have stuck to the old 300 ci six cylinder Fords that powered every kind of vehicle in the fleet years ago. Get about 85-100,000 miles out of them then get a new one for chicken feed.

Redtag

So what exactly is powering those dirty POS now days?

It’s just a bit more complex these days.

There are several different engines. You have the T444E and VT365 in the older internationals, Freightliner could have the ISB7, 5.9 ISB, MB904, 6BT or GM 6.0 gas engine. We also have the GM 4.8 and GM 8.1 gas engines in some of the workhorses and the Ford V10 in package cars in ford chassis PCs

The newer package cars are gas engines.

Redtag

I love how people that have never done this job have a better way...

Two problems with that are time and where to store theses engines. Time is obvious, I have PCs that are red tagged, maybe a number 8 PMI and it’s Wednesday.. when are we going to have time to do that. Do you as the supervisor want me keeping my fleet in the line or dicking around pulling engines we may need someday?

Plus the storage issue. 1. WHERE? Any free space we have gets taken by the center during peak.. since I am the first package mech in I have to dig us out everyday from nov-mid Jan... so now our overflow space is taken up by old engines leaking :censored2: everywhere... Plus, I am sure the people they send around doing building audits would love it. UPS doesn’t even want us having jack stands on the floor if you watch their stupid shop appearance videos let alone old engines.

Package car engines straight from manufactur all you need to drop it in

No, they come from reviva and they are trash.. you drop it in and swap it out week later and hope you got a good one. Let me tell you that is a lot of fun on a VT365 that takes almost a week to swap