UPS mechanics-are you Teamsters or IAM?

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by Ifixbrokenthings, Mar 10, 2019.

1. iowa boy

iowa boy Well-Known Member

Our mechanics are not ashamed of the idiot lights, they let them proudly shine. :eek:

2. Ifixbrokenthings

Ifixbrokenthings New Member

I'm a PE mechanic so your bitching is not directed at me...nice try

3. rod

rod retired and happy

we appreciate it though

4. Redtag

Redtag Part on order

Lol I would love to see some of these guys trying to do either a PE or automotive job at UPS... Go fix a air trailer road call or a belt breaking down on the primary in the middle of a sort.

These guys don't understand how much time is wasted on stupidity. Both from the drivers and management.
    Honestly, I am surprised anything gets fixed around here.

Plus, This is nothing like bringing your personal car in for service. I did that for 18 years before UPS. Here I have 35 or so trucks I have to manage plus dealing with delays and I handle a lot of the parts duty as well. If it's not important it waits until I have time. I would love to make all the trucks perfect but that is not realistic in this environment

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  5. Integrity

Integrity Binge Poster

I am pretty sure our PE mechanics are Teamsters.

6. Returntosender

Returntosender Well-Known Member

Why do you guys destroy a car with a new engine inside under 30,000 miles. Why not spend the less money to have mechanics remove the engine and put in storage. In case a car needs a new one is on hand. Mechanic cost to remove and place engine in storage 400-500. Buy rebuilt engine 10,0000!

7. rod

rod retired and happy

What the hell kind of rebuilt engine are you buying for $10,000? That sounds way to much

8. Ifixbrokenthings

Ifixbrokenthings New Member

Yup. People wanna bitch when the sort is running and I don't have any busy work to do, but when a belt rips or a drive and motor take a :censored2:, they treat me like I'm superman for getting it fixed so quickly. I will never apologize because I put in the time and learned the skills to have the job that I have. Its inherent of the job that I do that there will be down time.

9. Returntosender

Package car engines straight from manufactur all you need to drop it in

10. rod

rod retired and happy

UPS is getting screwed if they are paying that much.

11. rod

rod retired and happy

So what exactly is powering those dirty POS now days?

12. Returntosender

That what the machnics tell me 10, grand new rebuilt with warranty

13. Returntosender

Well I now the newer ones here are Mercedes engine and sprinter body style. I think they have so old Manual transmissions still around

14. rod

rod retired and happy

Mechanics are like feeder drivers----you can't believe a damn thing they say.

15. Returntosender

Well they right with UPS losing/ reduced volume from amazon

16. rod

rod retired and happy

Mercedes engines? Probably is 10 thousand then. UPS should have stuck to the old 300 ci six cylinder Fords that powered every kind of vehicle in the fleet years ago. Get about 85-100,000 miles out of them then get a new one for chicken feed.

17. Redtag

Redtag Part on order

It’s just a bit more complex these days.

There are several different engines. You have the T444E and VT365 in the older internationals, Freightliner could have the ISB7, 5.9 ISB, MB904, 6BT or GM 6.0 gas engine. We also have the GM 4.8 and GM 8.1 gas engines in some of the workhorses and the Ford V10 in package cars in ford chassis PCs

The newer package cars are gas engines.

18. 1BROWNWRENCH

1BROWNWRENCH Amateur Malthusian

A spiffy new 7.3L pushrod gas V8 is coming soon from Ford. Chevy will have a 6.6L soon.

19. 1989

1989 Well-Known Member

@Indecisi0n brags about his skills everyday.

20. Redtag

Redtag Part on order

I love how people that have never done this job have a better way...

Two problems with that are time and where to store theses engines. Time is obvious, I have PCs that are red tagged, maybe a number 8 PMI and it’s Wednesday.. when are we going to have time to do that. Do you as the supervisor want me keeping my fleet in the line or dicking around pulling engines we may need someday?

Plus the storage issue. 1. WHERE? Any free space we have gets taken by the center during peak.. since I am the first package mech in I have to dig us out everyday from nov-mid Jan... so now our overflow space is taken up by old engines leaking :censored2: everywhere... Plus, I am sure the people they send around doing building audits would love it. UPS doesn’t even want us having jack stands on the floor if you watch their stupid shop appearance videos let alone old engines.

No, they come from reviva and they are trash.. you drop it in and swap it out week later and hope you got a good one. Let me tell you that is a lot of fun on a VT365 that takes almost a week to swap