UPS mechanics-are you Teamsters or IAM?

Integrity

Binge Poster
Yup. People wanna bitch when the sort is running and I don't have any busy work to do, but when a belt rips or a drive and motor take a :censored2:, they treat me like I'm superman for getting it fixed so quickly. I will never apologize because I put in the time and learned the skills to have the job that I have. Its inherent of the job that I do that there will be down time.
Is the PE Mechanic job hard?

How is it to work for the PE Department?

Returntosender

I love how people that have never done this job have a better way...

Two problems with that are time and where to store theses engines. Time is obvious, I have PCs that are red tagged, maybe a number 8 PMI and it’s Wednesday.. when are we going to have time to do that. Do you as the supervisor want me keeping my fleet in the line or dicking around pulling engines we may need someday?

Plus the storage issue. 1. WHERE? Any free space we have gets taken by the center during peak.. since I am the first package mech in I have to dig us out everyday from nov-mid Jan... so now our overflow space is taken up by old engines leaking :censored2: everywhere... Plus, I am sure the people they send around doing building audits would love it. UPS doesn’t even want us having jack stands on the floor if you watch their stupid shop appearance videos let alone old engines.

No, they come from reviva and they are trash.. you drop it in and swap it out week later and hope you got a good one. Let me tell you that is a lot of fun on a VT365 that takes almost a week to swap
Our guys say 2 days tops with two working on it. tthey store the engines in 20 foot containers which put on ground in what space they have available.

Ifixbrokenthings

Nor/mal, I identify as default settings
Is the PE Mechanic job hard?

How is it to work for the PE Department?

PE has a wicked application and testing process to even get the job. Basically you need mechanical, millwrighting, electrical, metal fabrication, welding and general contracting experience to qualify for the job. And now with the push in automation, one needs to be well-versed in machine/PLC logic

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
Our guys say 2 days tops with two working on it. tthey store the engines in 20 foot containers which put on ground in what space they have available.

The containers would solve the storage problem but you still have the time issue. Even a easy motor like a gm 6.0 will take up at least a day to pull it out and do the other stuff needed to store it .

That's time I am not doing PMIs and fixing trucks. There is always something that needs to be done on these trucks so we really don't have free time.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
The containers would solve the storage problem but you still have the time issue. Even a easy motor like a gm 6.0 will take up at least a day to pull it out and do the other stuff needed to store it .

That's time I am not doing PMIs and fixing trucks. There is always something that needs to be done on these trucks so we really don't have free time.

You must work in the wrong place

Mine spends his time playing grabass with the toothless clerk or smoking cigarettes behind the building

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I love how people that have never done this job have a better way...

Two problems with that are time and where to store theses engines. Time is obvious, I have PCs that are red tagged, maybe a number 8 PMI and it’s Wednesday.. when are we going to have time to do that. Do you as the supervisor want me keeping my fleet in the line or dicking around pulling engines we may need someday?

Plus the storage issue. 1. WHERE? Any free space we have gets taken by the center during peak.. since I am the first package mech in I have to dig us out everyday from nov-mid Jan... so now our overflow space is taken up by old engines leaking :censored2: everywhere... Plus, I am sure the people they send around doing building audits would love it. UPS doesn’t even want us having jack stands on the floor if you watch their stupid shop appearance videos let alone old engines.

No, they come from reviva and they are trash.. you drop it in and swap it out week later and hope you got a good one. Let me tell you that is a lot of fun on a VT365 that takes almost a week to swap
I can do a VT swap in about 3 days with no distractions. And again in maybe a few months. I have/had one on it's 5th VT.

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
What engine does the new Ford freightliner have in them? It seems the have a safety for start up it doesn't have the same off the line get up like the old internationals used to.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
What engine does the new Ford freightliner have in them? It seems the have a safety for start up it doesn't have the same off the line get up like the old internationals used to.
Freightliners do not get the Ford engine. They get the Chevy, which is a special UPS combination in that chassis.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
Damn you guys are slow. You must be getting paid by the hour. :-)

They're union.

We are not as fast as supervisors or people that used to be mechanics. No matter what job it is they could do it in half the time. It’s kind of sad all those superstars left the trade.

We should bring in flat rate like when I was in the dealers, we had many trash can hero’s at the dealer that could turn 100 hours a week throwing the new parts in the trash, spray painting old parts to look new and could align cars without adjusting anything.... it was pure magic. Just one of those guys could do all the pm’s sirds, and oil changes without ever leaving the computer

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Freightliners do not get the Ford engine. They get the Chevy, which is a special UPS combination in that chassis.
PS The Ford PCs have a Ford engine, transmission and chassis. SAME body manufacturer. The Freightliner has an Allison transmission with the Chevy engine in a Freightliner built chassis.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
We are not as fast as supervisors or people that used to be mechanics. No matter what job it is they could do it in half the time. It’s kind of sad all those superstars left the trade.

We should bring in flat rate like when I was in the dealers, we had many trash can hero’s at the dealer that could turn 100 hours a week throwing the new parts in the trash, spray painting old parts to look new and could align cars without adjusting anything.... it was pure magic. Just one of those guys could do all the pm’s sirds, and oil changes without ever leaving the computer
I've met some of those guys.

Needabiggerhammer

PE has a wicked application and testing process to even get the job. Basically you need mechanical, millwrighting, electrical, metal fabrication, welding and general contracting experience to qualify for the job. And now with the push in automation, one needs to be well-versed in machine/PLC logic

Stop lying to these people and saying a PE mechanic's job is hard. If those application tests were wicked for you I have some bad news.