UPS mechanics-are you Teamsters or IAM?

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by Ifixbrokenthings, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Redtag

Redtag Part on order

Ford finally killed the V10?

2. Integrity

Integrity Binge Poster

Is the PE Mechanic job hard?

How is it to work for the PE Department?

3. Returntosender

Returntosender Well-Known Member

Our guys say 2 days tops with two working on it. tthey store the engines in 20 foot containers which put on ground in what space they have available.

4. Ifixbrokenthings

Ifixbrokenthings New Member

PE has a wicked application and testing process to even get the job. Basically you need mechanical, millwrighting, electrical, metal fabrication, welding and general contracting experience to qualify for the job. And now with the push in automation, one needs to be well-versed in machine/PLC logic

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  5. Redtag

Redtag Part on order

The containers would solve the storage problem but you still have the time issue. Even a easy motor like a gm 6.0 will take up at least a day to pull it out and do the other stuff needed to store it .

That's time I am not doing PMIs and fixing trucks. There is always something that needs to be done on these trucks so we really don't have free time.

6. burrheadd

burrheadd KING Of GIFS

You must work in the wrong place

Mine spends his time playing grabass with the toothless clerk or smoking cigarettes behind the building

7. 1BROWNWRENCH

1BROWNWRENCH Amateur Malthusian

It looks that way. Good riddance.

8. 1BROWNWRENCH

I can do a VT swap in about 3 days with no distractions. And again in maybe a few months. I have/had one on it's 5th VT.

9. BigBrown87

BigBrown87 If it’s brown, it’s going down

What engine does the new Ford freightliner have in them? It seems the have a safety for start up it doesn't have the same off the line get up like the old internationals used to.

10. rod

rod retired and happy

Damn you guys are slow. You must be getting paid by the hour. :-)

11. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

They're union.

12. 1BROWNWRENCH

Freightliners do not get the Ford engine. They get the Chevy, which is a special UPS combination in that chassis.

13. Redtag

Redtag Part on order

We are not as fast as supervisors or people that used to be mechanics. No matter what job it is they could do it in half the time. It’s kind of sad all those superstars left the trade.

We should bring in flat rate like when I was in the dealers, we had many trash can hero’s at the dealer that could turn 100 hours a week throwing the new parts in the trash, spray painting old parts to look new and could align cars without adjusting anything.... it was pure magic. Just one of those guys could do all the pm’s sirds, and oil changes without ever leaving the computer

14. 1BROWNWRENCH

PS The Ford PCs have a Ford engine, transmission and chassis. SAME body manufacturer. The Freightliner has an Allison transmission with the Chevy engine in a Freightliner built chassis.

15. 1BROWNWRENCH

I've met some of those guys.

16. Redtag

Redtag Part on order

I saw some crazy stuff in the dealers. Lol My wife thinks somebody should write a sitcom based on some of my dealership stories...

17. Stop lying to these people and saying a PE mechanic's job is hard. If those application tests were wicked for you I have some bad news.

18. Redtag

Redtag Part on order

Are you a PE mechanic?

19. MarvelousMunata

MarvelousMunata The Scapegoat With Attitude

Your local obviously sucks, mine gets :censored2: done

20. BigUnionGuy

BigUnionGuy Got the T-Shirt

What Local ?