UPS mismanagement....

Yankfan

Not sure why we would get a LOWER MIP, stock at an all time high, more packages than you can shake a stick at, labor costs lower then 2012 (cause we didn't hire anyone)...

feel free to add to the reasons we will not get a decent MIP number...

I was pleasantly surprised at the 2013 number...don't let me down please.

I know this goes back a couple of pages but are you kidding me? How could anyone be pleasantly surprised by a below average MIP in a year when the company had record profits (before non-recurring write-downs). Before the "enhancement" that changed the MIP formula to "better align our goals", 15% of profits were earmarked for MIP. No funny business, just a straightup, easy to follow formula. Last year the company spoke about record profits out of 1 side of its mouth and then spoke about not meeting goals and a below average MIP out the other side of its mouth.

This year will be something like this...."Although we experienced a significant volume increase during the 4th quarter, there were factors that eroded our profitability. Weather, refunds and poor execusion of operating plans contributed to us falling short of our plan. These factors lead to this years below average MIP. We look to get back on track in 2014"

UPS1907

Not sure why we would get a LOWER MIP, stock at an all time high, more packages than you can shake a stick at, labor costs lower then 2012 (cause we didn't hire anyone)...

feel free to add to the reasons we will not get a decent MIP number...

I was pleasantly surprised at the 2013 number...don't let me down please.

I have agree. Any management person there over 20 years knows how bad that MIP was. UPS loves employees who think that was a good MIP. I guess if you keep lowering expectations, you'll get that. (Kinda of like what we are doing with our customers now.... lower expectations, more $$$ for UPS)

If management MIP was under the old 15% set aside I'd be VERY happy. I'm sorry, I forgot, what was the benefit of that "enhancement" to management?

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
Forget the way it used to be. That's over. Going forward, doing more with less will mean less service to both internal and external "customers". "We never guaranteed perfect service". I have heard that numerous times in my 3 decade career

UPS1907

Forget the way it used to be. That's over. Going forward, doing more with less will mean less service to both internal and external "customers". "We never guaranteed perfect service". I have heard that numerous times in my 3 decade career

Hmmm, I've had more than my share of "perfect service days" moving packages in my car. This is good to know.

Ouch

Goes back to what I said about having to please the shareholders. The old days of caring is over. The days where center manager's could make decisions to make service. Putting the routes in in Sept instead of Nov 28 would also be a great start. In my humble opinion it seems the company is more concerned now with profit instead of how they are preceived by the public and the companies they are doing business with. Almost the too big for your britches if you will. Another bad feeling is sending the drivers out to be the customer service reps. Imo, the drivers do not need to be the ones handling complaints because at least in my building it falls on deaf ears, and nothing is ever done to satisfy the complaints.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
I know this goes back a couple of pages but are you kidding me? How could anyone be pleasantly surprised by a below average MIP in a year when the company had record profits (before non-recurring write-downs). Before the "enhancement" that changed the MIP formula to "better align our goals", 15% of profits were earmarked for MIP. No funny business, just a straightup, easy to follow formula. Last year the company spoke about record profits out of 1 side of its mouth and then spoke about not meeting goals and a below average MIP out the other side of its mouth.

This year will be something like this...."Although we experienced a significant volume increase during the 4th quarter, there were factors that eroded our profitability. Weather, refunds and poor execusion of operating plans contributed to us falling short of our plan. These factors lead to this years below average MIP. We look to get back on track in 2014"

I guess I should clarify, it was better than I thought it was going to be once they posted the magic formula.
and I agree with the rest of your post also.

Returntosender

I read somewhere when a company issues stock as a bonus. Those shares dilute value of the stock. Management reduced MIP over the years, and UPS stock going pass 100 dollars a share any connection?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Goes back to what I said about having to please the shareholders. The old days of caring is over. The days where center manager's could make decisions to make service. Putting the routes in in Sept instead of Nov 28 would also be a great start. In my humble opinion it seems the company is more concerned now with profit instead of how they are preceived by the public and the companies they are doing business with. Almost the too big for your britches if you will. Another bad feeling is sending the drivers out to be the customer service reps. Imo, the drivers do not need to be the ones handling complaints because at least in my building it falls on deaf ears, and nothing is ever done to satisfy the complaints.
Or at least that management that makes decisions has a different viewpoint and understanding of priorities than drivers.

Ouch

Hoaxster said:
Or at least that management that makes decisions has a different viewpoint and understanding of priorities than drivers.
Hoaxster the only manager and on car sup we had that would make a decision were transford away from each other into different depts. Seems like they dont want anyone to care. Best center manager and on car sup I ever had. Would work with employees would tell you when sups were working neither one ever tried to fire an hourly. Stood up for us drivers, witnessed it personally. Those people seem to be non existent.

upschuck

and start letting us put the routes on road in September, not Nov 28.
I believe that the local management should have more power to add runs and manage the area that they are put in charge of, instead of just following orders given by some guy in a corner office. That would mean less people in corner offices, so that will never happen.

The Milkman

You got it right 100% ..........Shareholders are the first priority....Greed rears it's ugly head and service goes down the toilet...Since going public the spiral has accelerated down...........And the Stooges in Atlanta don't seem to care....

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
"Shareholders are the first priority"???? Ha Ha Ha.

Try "Scott Davis and his crew are the first priority". The dividends are less than what can be gained elsewhere, the risk is no less than most other blue chips and there is really no potential for a major breakout in the stock price.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
You got it right 100% ..........Shareholders are the first priority....Greed rears it's ugly head and service goes down the toilet...Since going public the spiral has accelerated down...........And the Stooges in Atlanta don't seem to care....
They're making a killing while thousands and thousands work their rear ends off and stress out. Who are the stooges?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
They're making a killing while thousands and thousands work their rear ends off and stress out. Who are the stooges?
Having been around the "Stooges" in Atlanta, they are stressing out more than UPSers I have been around in the district operations.
Those jobs at Level 20 and above are stressful beyond anything at Level 18 ans less and certainly as an hourly.
That is why I never envied these people or believe they don't deserve the compensation they receive.

oldngray

nowhere special
business-commerce-budget-budget_priorities-corporate_culture-downsize-downsizing-wmi100805l.jpg

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
Having been around the "Stooges" in Atlanta, they are stressing out more than UPSers I have been around in the district operations.
Those jobs at Level 20 and above are stressful beyond anything at Level 18 ans less and certainly as an hourly.
That is why I never envied these people or believe they don't deserve the compensation they receive.
I don't think they're stooges. I do think they had gotten a little lazy in managing & planning operations. Regarding stress, they don't stress about meeting their daily needs if they were to be cut loose. Those that feel their jobs are on the line daily while also living paycheck to paycheck are under more stress IMO. The compensation disparity between executives and workers is out of line. So says this republican.

TheFigurehead

The reason UPS went public was to use other people's money to buy acquisitions to diversify and grow the company and to line the pockets of BOD and Management Committee to some extent.

You've got that backwards. The reason UPS went public was to use other people's money to line the pockets of BOD and Management Committe and to buy acquisitions to diversify and grow the company to some extent.
Those jobs at Level 20 and above are stressful beyond anything at Level 18 ans less and certainly as an hourly. That is why I never envied these people or believe they don't deserve the compensation they receive.

Those are stressful because they have an impossible task... Siphoning as much money as humanly possible over to the bottomless pit of greed that are our B.O.D., shareholders, and corporate overlords, while paying as little as possible, to as few people as possible, while delivering as few packages as possible (because, you know, actually running a business cuts into profits).

I don't envy them either, but, at least in my opinion, they are being paid far to much (however much they are paid) to do little more than run a huge, 100 year old company into the ground.