UPS mismanagement....

island1fox

We can and will agree Diversification is a good thing. So you can hold your race card and do not throw it.

QUESTION ?

We have heard a lot about going Public has changed the Company.
Does any one believe that in the past 15 years of passing over many talented White Males for promotion has weakened the Company.

UPS does not reflect the U.S. population :

National Ops Mgr --Last five have been Black --100%
Region Manager -2 -Operating Regions --Black --50%
District Managers 17--Over 75 % Minority !!

We can and will agree Diversification is a good into thing. So you can hold your race card and do not throw it.

QUESTION ?

Does any one believe that in the past 15 years of passing over many talented White Males for promotion has weakened the Company.

Answer = no. Its not the color or Ethnic back ground. Its the way they choose to run the company into the ground. No matter who, they put in charge of us, they are just following their marching orders!...jmho

Catatonic

Nine Lives
We can and will agree Diversification is a good thing. So you can hold your race card and do not throw it.

QUESTION ?

These people in these positions are well qualified to perform their responsibilities in these positions. I know several of them and they are smart, focused and competent. I personally don't feel any of the people I know have weakened the company in any way but have strengthened the company in many ways.
Of course, this is just opinion and conjecture.

The people in these positions are just cogs in the wheel.
At UPS, the talents and abilities of the individual are not important as long as they are not deficient for the position for which they were selected.
A hard-working person with an IQ of 100 is generally better at UPS than a hard-working person with an IQ of 130 - 160.
A strong leader, which UPS needs more than anything else, does not need a high IQ, in fact it typically hurts.
A strong leader determines a course of action (now a Corporate function) and stays the course with an unwavering discipline.
The really smart people at UPS need to be the one's determining strategic direction and the one's developing solutions to existing and future needs/issues.
None of the positions you included are in Strategic positions. They are in management positions. Their responsibility is to plan, organize and execute to achieve the desired goals. You really don't need to be that smart to do this.

SO, to answer your question or conjecture that because these people are black, they have hurt the company in some way.
My answer would be NO because they are plenty adequate to execute their responsibilities and from my observations, these people have very strong leadership capabilities which is probably what his company needs more than anything else and probably part of the total package for which they were selected.

bones

QUESTION ?

upschuck

No, I trust this company 100% to make the right decisions. :) Seriously, if they are qualified, I don't care if they are purple with pink polka dotted aliens. We get the same poo no matter whose mouth it comes out of.

island1fox

Many are either just missing the point or are being "politically correct"

If you were in a position of power and were told for many years --when you submit a candidate for promotion --list them in three categories : 1. Black 2. Female 3. Other.

If you have been one --or have worked closely with Region Mgrs --This is a great example ----For the last 30 years UPS has had a "Black National OPS MGR"
Nothing has been "wrong" with them ---nothing was wrong with other White Region Mgrs --many that had better Balanced Scorecard Results.

The National OPs Mgr --wields much power on who will be the next V.P District Mgrs.

Do we really believe that with African American's being 12.6 % of the population ---they now hold over 50% of the District Mgr positions --I am sure all capable people --but anyone honestly say a Better candidate --has not been passed over ???

For me --enough said --The answer is obvious--no need to reply to my Q !!!

P.S. How many years have we missed Service on Thousands of Peak Pkgs and also missed the Profitability numbers ???

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Many are either just missing the point or are being "politically correct"

If you were in a position of power and were told for many years --when you submit a candidate for promotion --list them in three categories : 1. Black 2. Female 3. Other.

If you have been one --or have worked closely with Region Mgrs --This is a great example ----For the last 30 years UPS has had a "Black National OPS MGR"
Nothing has been "wrong" with them ---nothing was wrong with other White Region Mgrs --many that had better Balanced Scorecard Results.

The National OPs Mgr --wields much power on who will be the next V.P District Mgrs.

Do we really believe that with African American's being 12.6 % of the population ---they now hold over 50% of the District Mgr positions --I am sure all capable people --but anyone honestly say a Better candidate --has not been passed over ???

For me --enough said --The answer is obvious--no need to reply to my Q !!!

P.S. How many years have we missed Service on Thousands of Peak Pkgs and also missed the Profitability numbers ???

I started at UPS 30 years ago and management was Lily White.From 1984-to around 1999 I only remember seeing ONE person of colour in my management center team,IE teams,and Audit Teams. IMO had it not been for the NAACP lawsuit in the late 1990's management would still be the same Lily White Good Ole Boy network it always had been. Just a thought: perhaps the placing of people of Colour in so many management positions in the last 15 years is a way of making amends for the prievious 90 some odd years.
Why dont you like Black Folks?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I started at UPS 30 years ago and management was Lily White.From 1984-to around 1999 I only remember seeing ONE person of colour in my management center team,IE teams,and Audit Teams. IMO had it not been for the NAACP lawsuit in the late 1990's management would still be the same Lily White Good Ole Boy network it always had been. Just a thought: perhaps the placing of people of Colour in so many management positions in the last 15 years is a way of making amends for the prievious 90 some odd years.
I can guarantee you that back when minorities were clearly underrepresented in management the people who are now complaining about "too many blacks" didn't say peep about it, and if it ever came up they would be quick to tell you that "well sadly, we just don't have any blacks who are qualified"....

island1fox

I believe a person like you should know better than to ask me that question.
MLK day tomorrow. I will say a prayer for him and for God to let me see the day on this earth when we can stop separating each other by race,color of skin or creed but to judge and recognize each person on their merits and content of their hearts.

island1fox

I wish that I could give you a better example of what I am speaking about --without bringing up Race.

Maybe another poster can.

I will give you another example of what I meant --but unfortunately it is again about race.

The Seahawks have without a doubt the BEST Defense in Professional Football.
It is comprised of eleven starters- professional players -that happen to be Black.

Lets say the owner of the Team suggests to make the team more reflective of the Washington population ---the next five years the Seahawks must select a WHITE player in the first round draft.

Hoax would say they are professional and "qualified " for the team.
Jones would say that the team was unrepresented by 'WHITE"
728 would say the team was too Black !

Island would ask ---is this now the "BEST" defense ---or is it just a Qualified one ?

Whether I am Black or White --I look forward to day when people can look past race and color ----would I want the job because of my race --or because I am the BEST PERSON for the job.

Many of our Black Management are the "BEST" --and should not be part of a "system" that makes people think they got the position because of their race.

Put away the race and hate cards and remember what MLK told us ---At that time --we will ALL be better off.

rod

Retired 22 years
I was hired in 1971 by a black gentleman. I always wondered what happened to him because he was just a great guy who told it as it was. I hope he went on to bigger things at UPS or elsewhere.
We also had a black kid as a pre-loader for a couple of weeks. He was let go after he failed to show up 3 days in a row and didn't call in. Later he said he didn't think anyone would be working because we had been going through a brutal cold spell.