UPS mismanagement....

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
So sad to see such a good company with good people just going the wrong way.

Unfortunately, UPS is now a publicly traded company; it's earning record profits, which is lining the pockets of many folks -- none of who really care what happens to UPS several years from now, as long as they get their share of the cut now.

Pretty much true of most major corporations, really.

ActionJaxson

I know of many management folks that do not bother voting their stocks through proxy and the Board of Directors who are all from outside, except for one, do as they see fit.

Orthello

Anyone remember the days of stop counts over under 5. How the preloaded had to be almost perfect. If you had way too many stops, someone would come out and get them on first request. Boy... Those days are long gone. I for see big trouble for UPS in the next 5 years. Getting people to qualify. The bar is set so high. We still physically have to deliver the packages!!! Trust me I love the DAID(yes I come from the days on paper). Every time there is a new enhancement, more stops are added. Corporate is asking too much!!!

brownrod

2013 proved that.

This, my friends, is the beginning of the end. The failures this year will make UPS more nuts next year. More conference calls, less resources, and more people outside the centers who have NO CLUE what they are doing.

In the end, UPS thinks technology will solve all their problems. Get rid of management or pay them less. We have technology and IE people that can run centers. Well, we saw how that worked for 2013.

Happy New Year!!

But they invest over a billion per year in TECHNOLOGY!!! How can we fail!?!?!?!?!

LOL. They should add up all the time spent by drivers who have to wait for 10 trucks to move before they can get their truck off the building! Trucks packed in like sardines!

RolloTony Brown Town

Anyone remember the days of stop counts over under 5. How the preloaded had to be almost perfect. If you had way too many stops, someone would come out and get them on first request. Boy... Those days are long gone. I for see big trouble for UPS in the next 5 years. Getting people to qualify. The bar is set so high. We still physically have to deliver the packages!!! Trust me I love the DAID(yes I come from the days on paper). Every time there is a new enhancement, more stops are added. Corporate is asking too much!!!

They definitely are asking too much. Instead of using advances in technology to bring hours back down to a reasonable place, they use it as an excuse to bolster stop counts. I don't have a ton of driving experience, but when I drove last year the routes I did learn were generally heavier than the bid driver I was covering for. When is enough enough? They do the same thing to employees inside. Instead of putting it on a driver, they put it on the pt supervisor. You hit your production goal more often than not. Now you get less people to get the job done with. Did it ever occur that my production was so high BECAUSE I had enough people to get the job done? So now division managers and sort managers take a person out of your staffing. A lot of division managers won't even let you staff yourself and manage the hours. They don't trust their pt sups or the ft sups that THEY promoted, whom THEY supposedly trust to run these operations. So I did so good that I get less people. Eventually the hourlies turn on you as if you wanted to lose a person out of your staffing.

Wouldn't it make more sense to leave the extra person in my staffing to prevent potential overload trailers or service failures? Is it not worth it to pay 10/hr for 4 hours to save 35-50+ per hour to send an extra trailer? To save the company grievances in supervisors working just to keep their operation moving? When will corporate open their eyes? When will division managers work together instead of under cutting each other to hit their own goals? I was taught as a supervisor to look at the big picture. I can see the big picture, but can they? do they want to see it?

I might be some young pt supervisor and I wasn't here before UPS went public so I don't know everything, but the price of our stock is NOT the end all be all. Customer service should be, employee recognition and morale should be, and this company that I work for doesn't appear to care about any of those things. They care about artificial numbers, and not promoting the best but the mediocre (but hey they graduated with a bachelors!). They talk a big game about integrity, but there isn't any left. I could go on and on...

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Anyone remember the days of stop counts over under 5. How the preloaded had to be almost perfect. If you had way too many stops, someone would come out and get them on first request.

I will take your word for your area but I have no memories of that.
I guess in times past, there were BOG other than upstate New York.

PT Car Washer

Preloader could only be off by 5 stops. We kept track on a tally sheet with a crayon. There was a plate at the rear of the package car between the shelves. Older cars still have them. Did have a min. max. range. Preloaders made $.50 less an hour then drivers.

oldngray

nowhere special
Preloader could only be off by 5 stops. We kept track on a tally sheet with a crayon. There was a plate at the rear of the package car between the shelves. Older cars still have them. Did have a min. max. range. Preloaders made $.50 less an hour then drivers.

When I preloaded I made same rate as drivers. Just only part time hours and OT after 5. It changed in contract of 1981 I think.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How many of you veteran guys would add 5-10 stops to the stop count sheet the moment you got to your pkg car in the morning? Would you instruct your loader to build a "fake" wall in the middle of the load?

kevin strahan

Well the day has finally arrived (or the peak anyway) where the PUBLIC finally got to see how mismanaged UPS is. Bad management, outside hires and people in positions that have no clue have been rising for years, and now it's come to a head. I know there are a lot of IE, BD, and logistic people who think they really drive this company, but they need to get out of the offices.
UPS management avoids operations because it's hard work and long hours. It's much easier to be an IE person sitting around on conference calls telling OPs Managers what the centers are doing wrong (in their eyes anyway).

The failures this peak have to be placed on THOSE people and above, NOT the operators. Unfortunately, they won’t.

I’m sure after the new year, the conference calls will start back up with a clueless IE people saying “you’re center is one trip over plan” or “you have one too many people on your sort”.

Thank God for the mute button, because the disconnect between the people on each end of these calls is wider than it has ever been. Operators laugh on one end, while upper management, IE or whoever thinks operators don’t listen and refuse to comply with what they want. I wonder how many 14 hour days those office people put in this year? The operators in the centers drive this company not these people setting forth bad plans and have never worked in a center in their lives.

2013 proved that.

This, my friends, is the beginning of the end. The failures this year will make UPS more nuts next year. More conference calls, less resources, and more people outside the centers who have NO CLUE what they are doing.

In the end, UPS thinks technology will solve all their problems. Get rid of management or pay them less. We have technology and IE people that can run centers. Well, we saw how that worked for 2013.

Happy New Year!!

Your right! Ops is the most important part of the business, under staffed and under paid.
I think, the "micro-management skill set" still present at UPS is part of the culture that won't change until the Corporate Office Staffing is substantially reduced. I have watched 4 attempts at a reduction with none succeeding in there objectives yet. I do like seeing the number of Management Committee Members being reduced. Hopefully the example rolls downhill.

PT Car Washer

How many of you veteran guys would add 5-10 stops to the stop count sheet the moment you got to your pkg car in the morning? Would you instruct your loader to build a "fake" wall in the middle of the load?
PT preload sup would record stop counts before drivers came in to prevent that. But if a driver upset me I may undercount the stops. I loaded extended areas and could walk through the trucks. Great PT job other then starting at 3:30 or 4:00 in the morning.

Rico

I remember that. Most of the time my pre-loader would add a count of the number of NDA stops too. I was a rare day when he was off by more than a couple of stops.

oldngray

nowhere special
I remember that. Most of the time my pre-loader would add a count of the number of NDA stops too. I was a rare day when he was off by more than a couple of stops.

If he loaded stop for stop its much more likely his stop count would be more accurate.

Rico

Still, I had a college campus route that went out with around 90 stops with 400-500 pieces, so it was usually very full. I hated life when he was on vacation.

Slinging Packages

UPS is not the UPS of old. Its a bigger picture with more people to satisfy. Labor cost has nothing to do with the problems of peak. Stock prices are what drove the failure. More work with less people=more profit. UPS could have hired the drivers to put on road without hurting their record breaking profit. It just didnt make sence to the shareholders who are greedy and want to see the most in their return. Going public is the absolute worst thing UPS could have done in my opinion.