UPS non-driver career questions from a new hire

FLKingFisher

Hey all, I just started as a preloader here last Wednesday. I am seasonal, but am told full time is no problem. I took this job mainly to get the workout, and to get on with a great company. I am halfway through school, and have been in upper management for the last 7 years with various companies. I am not that interested in driving, and have no idea what is available as far as management is concerned. Would you recommend a management career with UPS? Is it true you will work 14+ hrs a day everyday? This would not be something I would want to pursue if that is the case. Just looking for a general consensus from everyone that has been around long enough to figure it all out. Thanks

alister

what management isnt 14 hours a day?
actually, it seems that they started to fix this. some managment now get paid over time if they work than x hours during the week. x changes depending on the job. full time supervisors are still getting "abused". it sounds like they may be looking at fixing this next.

rod

Retired 22 years
Just what drivers all over the world want to hear- another one wants into management that don't want to take the time to learn how to deliver a package. Sounds like my last center manager- clueless and never around:)

FLKingFisher

I would have no problem driving for a year or so to learn the ropes, but do not want to drive long term. Just thought someone here might know of a good path with UPS. I would not mind going the HR route if that is available, just not sure how ups works since they tell me everyone starts out as a pt package thrower

Channahon

Hey all, I just started as a preloader here last Wednesday. I am seasonal, but am told full time is no problem. I took this job mainly to get the workout, and to get on with a great company. I am halfway through school, and have been in upper management for the last 7 years with various companies. I am not that interested in driving, and have no idea what is available as far as management is concerned. Would you recommend a management career with UPS? Is it true you will work 14+ hrs a day everyday? This would not be something I would want to pursue if that is the case. Just looking for a general consensus from everyone that has been around long enough to figure it all out. Thanks

I spent 26 years in full time management in various positions. My advice is: finish school and get your degree and use your previous high level management experience at another company.

Management hours at UPS vary by position, as the company is going 24x7 in most areas. If you are not interested in working any hours other than 9-5, which generally do not exist at UPS for any full time position, then UPS would not be a good fit for you.

VTBrown

Just what drivers all over the world want to hear- another one wants into management that don't want to take the time to learn how to deliver a package. Sounds like my last center manager- clueless and never around:)

Rod....the Company is publicly traded now. UPS needs to show it's stock holders they are hiring qualified (college) employee's.

Gone will be the days of drivers with no college getting promoted into management. Now you must almost promise and start taking part-time courses just to get into it.

I considered it since I've had a couple knee operations. Yet...I've few college credits. I'm not going to commit to working 12+ hour days AND commit to going to school as well.

I value time with my kids higher.