UPS old school

JL 0513

I was a carwasher and shifter. Trying to park some of them package cars with heavy clutches and no power steering in the lineup, oof. Also those old mack cabover tractors were no joke either.

Can imagine setting up a whole lineup in a tight building with no power steering. The equivalent of a shift in a hard labor camp. I remember a simple 3-point turn was a 10 point turn on road with those things.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Can imagine setting up a whole lineup in a tight building with no power steering. The equivalent of a shift in a hard labor camp. I remember a simple 3-point turn was a 10 point turn on road with those things.
We had mostly stick and no power steering in early 2000s, I was on car wash and had to set up a line every night. But I was used to driving them. They took a toll on you after a while though.

oldngray

nowhere special
I also remember that the first DIAD's were referred to as dog-beaters. And you could put the DIAD speaker onto a telephone receiver to upload data just like an old school modem.
You had to make speaker com calls. No wifi on the DIADs. Stopping to do that was a major pain in the butt.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
On the dropped money COD form….It was prudent to have the supervisor count the cash and initial it also. Ill be damned if my envelope with 20,000 came up missing and they wanted me to cover it. Actually had to use two envelopes a few times.
I would always get mgmt to verify turn in, but they would get mad if it was more than 2k or so. Said to get a cashier's check.

BlackFriday

Please remove my account. This forum sucks.
This is a great thread IMO. Just the fact that the old trucks had no PS and a standard with a super hard clutch sets the old crew apart.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
Ah the good ole days. When you could openly hate minorities!
Technically....

And just being technical for training and educational purposes to save the world...

But...

Technically...

By definition...

The word minority should not be used to describe a group of people.

BlackFriday

Please remove my account. This forum sucks.
Back in the old days the PVDs had to weave straps out of birch bark to attach the package to the roof of their vehicles
Really? I didn't know that.
Somewhat clever BTW. Bordering on actual humor. Keep trying. You'll get there one day and actually make someone laugh.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
All new package cars must have power steering, was put into the contract in the late 80s. IIRC

I think your memory is off a little my friend....

;)

"The Employer will make every effort to require all new package car designs to have lower cab entry steps."

"The Employer will replace package cars at a rate no less than the percent replaced over the duration of the prior contract that expired July 31, 2018."