UPS old school

Ou812fu

Polishing toilet bowls since 1966.
I was a UPSer way back when. Started as a peak worker on the evening / local sort before there was any type of scanning and left right around the time PAS was implemented in the preloads. Reading and hearing how things are now makes me think of how different things were back in the late 80's / early 90's:

• Prior to scanning, there was no guaranteed delivery. Packages got there when they got there.
  • Scanning slowed down hub PPH alot (bottlenecks were at the outbounds).
  • Most everything was done on paper. Scanning, DIAD and IVIS didnt come along till the early 90's.
  • Sorters had to memorize all the sort splits (not sure if that is the case these days).
  • Loaders had to know some of the splits (most outbound trailers had a reader and a loader).
  • Preloaders had to know splits for the package cars they were loading (PAS did away with that).
  • We use to use crayons and hand stamps to mark packages.
  • Before my time, package drivers used to load their own package cars (introduction of PT employees did away with that).
  • Walking on moving belts was prohibited but it still happened often. (Adding the belt lockout devices helped reduce that)
  • There were virtually no yard rules like there are today.
  • As a yard shifter, didnt wear seat belt most of the time, loosely enforced.
  • As a yard shifter, only used red line on trailers. No yellow line or lights. (dont know if that is required now or not).
  • Not sure if MAR's have changed, but I remember unloader was 1200 pph, small sorter was 1800 pph (cant remember what regular sorter was), smalls bagger was 100 bph.
  • ID's were super crappy. They were laminated polaroids with your name and SS# written with a sharpie. How do I know this? I still have one.
I'm curious if there's any other old timers and what they might remember from way back when.
Smalls bag clips. Made great Frisbee's..

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I was a UPSer way back when. Started as a peak worker on the evening / local sort before there was any type of scanning and left right around the time PAS was implemented in the preloads. Reading and hearing how things are now makes me think of how different things were back in the late 80's / early 90's:

• Prior to scanning, there was no guaranteed delivery. Packages got there when they got there.
  • Scanning slowed down hub PPH alot (bottlenecks were at the outbounds).
  • Most everything was done on paper. Scanning, DIAD and IVIS didnt come along till the early 90's.
  • Sorters had to memorize all the sort splits (not sure if that is the case these days).
  • Loaders had to know some of the splits (most outbound trailers had a reader and a loader).
  • Preloaders had to know splits for the package cars they were loading (PAS did away with that).
  • We use to use crayons and hand stamps to mark packages.
  • Before my time, package drivers used to load their own package cars (introduction of PT employees did away with that).
  • Walking on moving belts was prohibited but it still happened often. (Adding the belt lockout devices helped reduce that)
  • There were virtually no yard rules like there are today.
  • As a yard shifter, didnt wear seat belt most of the time, loosely enforced.
  • As a yard shifter, only used red line on trailers. No yellow line or lights. (dont know if that is required now or not).
  • Not sure if MAR's have changed, but I remember unloader was 1200 pph, small sorter was 1800 pph (cant remember what regular sorter was), smalls bagger was 100 bph.
  • ID's were super crappy. They were laminated polaroids with your name and SS# written with a sharpie. How do I know this? I still have one.
I'm curious if there's any other old timers and what they might remember from way back when.
We had to cut the next day and 2nd day tags off when we delivered the package and turn them in at night.

34yearpackagehumper

I started as a PC Driver in 1978 and retired 34 years later (2012) .Everything you guys have said is true . So I won't re-hash what has already been said . I will say this, the job is even harder now than it was then. The guys tell me about going out with 11 hr days with way to many stops . The money has always been good but Man oh Man it's not a job for the meek. Most Drivers in my area that are at top pay now make $100,000 plus. Well earned of course !!!!!!!!!!!!

34yearpackagehumper

I saw guys with 2 supes riding with him, to bust his chops. It wasn’t real common, but it wasn’t rare either. It was an intimidation tactic. The local finally put a stop to it.
We had a PC driver around 93 I believe was going out with sup and div. manager for about a week. They were really putting him thru it. He told me one morning before going out with them , that he wanted to just pull out in traffic with all 3 into incoming traffic. I talked to him and tried to pep him up. He did not do end it all like that. However he di retire shortly after that with 23 years. He said he had enough. I think we all have all had those days where we wonder if the job was worth. If you can stick it out. Your UPS retirement can be a blessing to you and your family. It pays very well and of course well earned.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
We had a PC driver around 93 I believe was going out with sup and div. manager for about a week. They were really putting him thru it. He told me one morning before going out with them , that he wanted to just pull out in traffic with all 3 into incoming traffic. I talked to him and tried to pep him up. He did not do end it all like that. However he di retire shortly after that with 23 years. He said he had enough. I think we all have all had those days where we wonder if the job was worth. If you can stick it out. Your UPS retirement can be a blessing to you and your family. It pays very well and of course well earned.
A driver was really being hounded by this prick of center manager, riding with him all the time. He finally snapped, he slammed on the brakes and nearly put the guy through the windshield! Got fired though.

onewithedd

I remember when call tags were printed elsewhere and sent up in the house mail bag, which by the way no longer exists along with the house mail envelopes and the bolt hole still remain where the safe once was.