UPS Once Again "America's Most Admired"

rd0127

UPS Once Again ''America's Most Admired''
Tuesday February 21, 5:38 pm ET

ATLANTA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 21, 2006--UPS (NYSE:UPS - News) today was rated "America's Most Admired" company in its industry in an annual survey conducted by FORTUNE magazine.
The company also ranked in the Top 10 across all of corporate America in seven of the eight criteria used by the magazine to rank companies, including a No. 1 ranking for social responsibility for the third straight year.

UPS was ranked No. 2 in the United States for "product quality." It was rated No. 3 in each of the categories of "best use of assets" and "financial soundness." And it ranked No. 5 for "people management;" No. 6 for "management quality," and No. 9 for "long term investment."

In the FORTUNE rankings for the Delivery Industry, UPS was rated No. 1 with a composite score of 8.54 on a 10-point scale, almost six-tenths of a point ahead of its nearest competitor. UPS has been ranked No. 1 in its industry for 22 of the last 23 years.

FORTUNE conducts the annual survey in cooperation with the Hay Group, which this year surveyed 10,000 executives, directors and securities analysts. Each was asked to rate companies in their own industry on the eight criteria from investment value to social responsibility. The 10,000 then were asked in a separate survey to name their Top 20 without regard to industry, and UPS was rated No. 13 in that ranking.

UPS, which has built one of the world's best known brands, operates in more than 200 countries and territories around the world and has been widely recognized in recent years for significantly expanding its supply chain capabilities and continuing its long tradition of social responsibility. UPS's stock trades on the New York Stock Exchange (UPS) and the company can be found on the Web at UPS.com.

worldwide

"More lies on UPSers.com about being the MOST admired."

In the FORTUNE rankings for the Delivery Industry, UPS was rated No. 1 with a composite score of 8.54 on a 10-point scale, almost six-tenths of a point ahead of its nearest competitor. UPS has been ranked No. 1 in its industry for 22 of the last 23 years.

What part of this is a lie? UPS is the MOST admired in the delivery industry.

DS

Fenderbender
It seems to me that if they`d spend more time striving towards #5people management, then#6 would be the only thing holding us back from being #1 in the long term investment category

montecarlo12

Worldwide,
Yes UPS was ranked #1 in the "Delivery Industry" this year taking the number one spot away from Fedex. That is one of many rankings in Fortune.

TOP 20
"For the Most Admired Companies over all", Fortunes survey asked business people to vote for the companies that they admired most from any industry.
#1 GE #2 Fedex.....UPS wasnt in the top 10.

"The Worlds Most Admired Companies"
#1 GE #2 Toyota #3 Procter & Gamble #4 Fedex...no top 10 for UPS

Fedex is also 1 of 4 companies to make the the list of "100 Best Companies to work for" all 9 years of voting. I dont think UPS has ever made the list of 100 in the last 9 years

ImpactedTSG

worldwide said:
What part of this is a lie? UPS is the MOST admired in the delivery industry.
It doesn't add up.

FedEX #2 + UPS #13 = UPS most admired in the industry

Once again, it does not add up. (Unless I missed the memo that states FedEx is no longer in the industry)

wily_old_vet

Impact-Try to wrap your techie brain around this. UPS , in these rankings, was the most admired in its category. Where we were ranked 13 was the ranking of all the companies. If you have a problem with this contact the magazine.

ImpactedTSG

wily_old_vet said:
Impact-Try to wrap your techie brain around this. UPS , in these rankings, was the most admired in its category. Where we were ranked 13 was the ranking of all the companies. If you have a problem with this contact the magazine.
If FedEx is #2 and UPS is #13, how is UPS the best in its category? It doesn't take a techie brain to realize 13 is lower than 2.

worldwide

ImpactedTSG said "Once again, it does not add up. (Unless I missed the memo that states FedEx is no longer in the industry)"

Yes, you did miss something (like reading the article).

The Most Admired list is the definitive report card on corporate reputations. Our survey partners at Hay Group started with the FORTUNE 1,000 -- the 1,000 largest U.S. companies ranked by revenue -- and the top foreign companies operating in the U.S. They sorted the companies by industry and selected the ten largest companies in each.

To create the 65 industry lists, Hay asked executives, directors, and analysts to rate companies in their own industry on eight criteria, from investment value to social responsibility. This year only the best are listed as most admired: A company's score must rank in the top half of its industry survey. Ranks for the rest of the contenders are available online only.

To create the top 20 and overall list of Most Admired Companies, Hay Group asked the 10,000 executives, directors, and securities analysts who had responded to the industry surveys to select the ten companies they admired most. They chose from a list made up of the companies that ranked among the top 25% in last year's survey, plus those that finished in the top 20% of their industry. Anyone could vote for any company in any industry. The difference in the voting rolls is why some results can seem anomalous -- for example, FedEx is one of the top ten Most Admired Companies but only second in its own industry.

A total of 611 companies in 70 industries were surveyed. Due to an insufficient response rate, the results for 29 companies in five industries are not reported: advertising, consumer credit, health care, pharmacy and other services, precision equipment, and printing. Thus American Express (No. 17) and 3M (No. 20) are on the overall list even though their industries -- consumer credit and precision equipment -- did not have enough responses to merit a category.

Dutch Dawg

It must be true....I can't tell you how many time I've seen it in the "OFFICIAL" PCM memo posted over the urinal in the men's room.

You know, I often consciously go above and beyond the "Call of Duty" to insure a satisifactory end result for the consumer. I give UPS a honest days work in exchange for a good wage. I even actually sometimes risk thinking of myself as an assest to the company. However...I can't help but think supervision would grow tired of me repeatedly reminding them of that upon every available opportunity that presented itself. So why do they persist in drilling "America's Most Admired" day after day after day?