Ups pcs in the snow?

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Package cars in the snow? They're sh*. I've probably been stuck at least four or five times in less than three years (only once officially). I'd say I've finally gotten a hang where I can and cannot go in these things, and to utilize EC if you have even a trace of uncertainty.

It's always harder when it's snowing on a new route though. I got lucky this peak though. No snow so I got to learn a new route in decent weather. Now when I do have to run this one in the snow I'll know exactly whats at the end of those lanes, where I can safely go up or down and turn around, and where to just stay the hell away from.

UPSER110

Its hard to do but stay off the brakes and just steer, once you hit the brakes you slide. Do you have a full set of chains? Stay safe and watch where you park!

9.5 everyday

If you have a 5 speed, you can do some seriously BA drifts. Find a nice parking lot to get the feel for your truck. You can put that in your board under other work, safety training. And emergency condition anything you have a doubt about. They can't friend with you for being safe......

ManInBrown

Will be my first winter on my bid route. Nothing but hills and one way in, one way out streets. Should be a lot of fun:tongue_smEC will be used in abundance

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

To everyone who says they are going to use EC in abundance------do you realize that those packages don't go anywhere and that you will eventually have to get rid of them?

Gear

Parts on Order
View attachment 64673 Yeah this was damn near every hour last year during peak, the newer truck never stood a chance against the snow. EC'd about 20-30 stops that day but no accidents

I notice a few replies that seem to point the finger at the owner of the car. Do you guys really believe the owner who chose not to drive on the snowy roads, should come out, clear the snow from the vehicle and around the vehicle. Then attempt to move the her vehicle, risking hitting the UPS truck and being at fault? I dont thing anyone in the right mind would do that, and for what? To save a billion dollar company money? Her car was parked? Its insane to think the lady was the problem.

I have no idea ...it's always 90 and sunny where I drive
200w (1).gif

rod

Retired 22 years
If you get stuck just get the tires spinning in about third gear---about 50 mph should do. Fast enough for the engine to be really winding out----it may sound like the pistons are changing holes but just ignore it. Eventually the tires will eat themselves down to bare asphalt and you can drive away. If that don't work call a tow truck and let him worry about you sliding into another car or telephone pole.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you get stuck just get the tires spinning in about third gear---about 50 mph should do. Fast enough for the engine to be really winding out----it may sound like the pistons are changing holes but just ignore it. Eventually the tires will eat themselves down to bare asphalt and you can drive away. If that don't work call a tow truck and let him worry about you sliding into another car or telephone pole.

We had a driver try this and he broke something (clutch plate?) when the car hit dry pavement.