UPS says Yes to Saturday Ground.

35years

Gravy route
I was just saying what may happen. Fact of the matter is we aren't sure exactly what they're going to do. Thing to remember is that on typical Mondays, a center may cut 10% of routes. Yet, much more than 10% of drivers will be working Saturdays. This means that either a bunch of guys would be doing 6 days or they would expand the driver force and then create a rotating scheduling system where guys are off on every weekday.
Sorry to break it to you.
New Guys=Tue-Sat
My guess is that you are a optimistic low seniority driver.
No industrial and office stops Saturday...Won't be a full crew.

Correction;
New guys AND on road sups Tue-Sat;)

Last edited:

Nike

Kind of stupid from a business perspective. You lose that easy extra revenue from saturday air. Now everything will be delivered on saturday? Makes more sense to work 7 days a week to prevent packages from stopping and undercut our competitors delivery times by delivering everyday. We could easily hire new folks to cover the extra days and to not overwork everybody.

35years

Gravy route
Kind of stupid from a business perspective. You lose that easy extra revenue from saturday air. Now everything will be delivered on saturday? Makes more sense to work 7 days a week to prevent packages from stopping and undercut our competitors delivery times by delivering everyday. We could easily hire new folks to cover the extra days and to not overwork everybody.
What is this "makes more sense" stuff?
This is Atlanta we are talking about.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
You really think Atlanta is jumping on this without looking at the cost-benefit analysis?

We like to say a lot of stuff about Atlanta, and trust me I can say plenty, but they know how to make some money.

JL 0513

New Guys=Tue-Sat

Correction;

Where can all of this official information be found? There's been no talk of even working Saturdays in my center yet people on here already claim to know how the union has settled the matter.

I know it won't be any where near a full crew Saturdays but the crew will be a good amount more than the amount cut on Mondays. So how is that worked out?

Grey

New Guys=Tue-Sat

Correction;

So if you bid on a week long mon-fri route and win it what happens?

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Where can all of this official information be found? There's been no talk of even working Saturdays in my center yet people on here already claim to know how the union has settled the matter.
You mean people on here are making assumptions before something even occurs? No way!

JL 0513

You really think Atlanta is jumping on this without looking at the cost-benefit analysis?

We like to say a lot of stuff about Atlanta, and trust me I can say plenty, but they know how to make some money.

You have to wonder why the Post Office tried to get out of Saturdays because they lose billions running Saturdays yet we are going to do it to make more money.

no_map_needed

Knowledge is key, Experience is power.
this wont work for fulltimers.. they're probably going to make a new part time class that wont even work 5 days a week.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
So if this is purely seniority based, not only do the older drivers with grown kids take all the summer weeks off, they will get Saturdays off. All the while, young drivers with young kids get no summer weeks off to spend with their kids and will now lose Saturdays with their kids too. It's an unfortunate irony but just the way it is.
Drivers should pick 2 weeks then go down the list then when the last driver picks 2 it goes to the top again for the top driver to pick 2 more weeks....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Pretty certain that will be the scenario for many. From the way it sounds, Saturdays won't be an OT day. Scheduling may be modeled similarly to the Post Office where they are all on alternating schedules.

A lot of guys are saying they will NOT work Saturdays. This may not be a seniority thing. All drivers may be required on a rotational basis. One possibility is every one does 2 Saturdays a month.

What I find interesting is that the Post Office proposed dropping Saturdays in order to stop losing billions a year. Now we're going to start!

Read your supplement. I would be willing to bet that there is language in there on alternate work schedules.

T-S means no OT for Saturday unless you are called in to work on Monday.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I know it won't be any where near a full crew Saturdays but the crew will be a good amount more than the amount cut on Mondays. So how is that worked out?

Seniority based.

Read your supplement.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
It is already occurring in test markets.
We've been running Saturdays for 3 weeks. This past Saturday they had drivers bring routes back due to the 14hr rule thanks to upgrading Apple products. I've already told you guys we've had this dumpster fire called Saturday ground going on. If you have any questions on how staffing or dispatch has been handled post it here.

PT Car Washer

We've been running Saturdays for 3 weeks. This past Saturday they had drivers bring routes back due to the 14hr rule thanks to upgrading Apple products. I've already told you guys we've had this dumpster fire called Saturday ground going on. If you have any questions on how staffing or dispatch has been handled post it here.
Is UPS still using PT Saturday Air drivers or have they all been cut out? Is Saturday Ground a premium service or is it Monday upgrades?