UPS Shooting- San Francisco (Rant & News thread)

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
Very well said...sad but true...personally I think this is going to continue to happen... wait and see. Ups needs to rethink their approach with people and I would like to see these incidents brought up at the next negotiations because it is a very real correlation between their production at all costs attitude and employees who are so mentally drained that they could possibly go off the deep end.....we all deserve to work in a safe, harassment free workplace...
We will get exactly what we deserve and bargain for. Think about that.

10 Pt

Very sorry to hear what happened....thoughts and prayers to all involved and affected.

When you take the higher than average workload, then add 30 to 50% more, then lower the time standards, then tell drivers THEY are the ones not performing and threatening their jobs, roof over heads, food on table.........how long until someone thats on the edge finally snaps?
Then add to that some family problems (separation/divorce on the horizon, problems with kids because you're never there to be Dad or Mom, life in general) and one day, when someone can't deal with one more problem or set back they snap.
No two people have the same tolerances or reactive habits.
It's Russian roulette anymore.

And for every 249,998 hourlies that don't react like this the other two tilt the scale with such horror we forget about the good people that still work at UPS.

This really is garbage and without knowing the whole story we really should hold the hypothetical comments until we know what we're talking about.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
It's unfortunately the way this company is structured. But everybody knows it isn't a 9-5 job. That's just how it is. I spend more time in my building than anybody else, I get that the days are long. But snapping and killing someone, isn't how you handle the situation.
It's not just the hours and you know it....

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Report it please ... I have to CYI with @cheryl.
I do think it's a good idea to.
j3xpdcmx_1iv65ab_kohsnd.png

10 Pt

and that is the problem, I believe. Not the guns or security, but the running at "red line" all day, everyday. Followed by a whipping when you get back. That's the problem that has to be addressed.
Every last one of us can quit at any time. Some have. No one is serving a 30 yr prison sentence in this job so I don't believe the blame lies totally on the person with the whip when the target can move or leave at any time.
Instead, one deranged person kills parents, brothers, and children.
Get a grip.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
You're right. Hourlies are the only ones at this company that get harassed. It's sunshine and daisies in my job.
Now we're getting somewhere. You have to "manage" us, yet you have no actual power to do it. So instead, you are forced to degrade, use fear, and attack us daily. @Dragon breath's position is the same, just more money and BS. We don't hate you guys, we hate the fact that not one of you have any balls to ever do something by your hourlies. Please the ivory tower, or else.....what a joke.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Every last one of us can quit at any time. Some have. No one is serving a 30 yr prison sentence in this job so I don't believe the blame lies totally on the person with the whip when the target can move or leave at any time.
Instead, one deranged person kills parents, brothers, and children.
Get a grip.
It's not the first time it has happen, and won't be the last...

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Now we're getting somewhere. You have to "manage" us, yet you have no actual power to do it. So instead, you are forced to degrade, use fear, and attack us daily. @Dragon breath's position is the same, just more money and BS. We don't hate you guys, we hate the fact that not one of you have any balls to ever do something by your hourlies. Please the ivory tower, or else.....what a joke.
It's called keeping your job.
Never give an Inch but maybe 9 inches.
We ain't no cuckservatives!