UPS Shooting- San Francisco (Rant & News thread)

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
You're right. Everyone is jumping to the conclusion that it's managments fault and that it was management that was shot.

Still kind shows you how bad it really is when that's what everyone thinks.
And I don't disagree. But quite honestly some of the stories I hear on the site are pretty extreme. This isn't the type of place that attracts people who love their job. Nobody goes online to talk about that. Are certain places better than others? Absolutely. But the problem is we judge everyone as a group and not an individual. I got instant hate when I came to my current center and I didn't know a soul. It's a two way street.

Are there Teamsters I don't like? Sure. Are there management employees I don't like? Hell yes. But I look at the individual. Both sides need to start acting like that.

542thruNthru

And I don't disagree. But quite honestly some of the stories I hear on the site are pretty extreme. This isn't the type of place that attracts people who love their job. Nobody goes online to talk about that. Are certain places better than others? Absolutely. But the problem is we judge everyone as a group and not an individual. I got instant hate when I came to my current center and I didn't know a soul. It's a two way street.

Are there Teamsters I don't like? Sure. Are there management employees I don't like? Hell yes. But I look at the individual. Both sides need to start acting like that.

I don't disagree. It's too much us against them on both sides. Hell it's even in our little slogans " The more they make. The more we take." Why doesn't it say "The more they Prosper. The more we prosper!"

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
There are way too many amateur psychologists/sociologists/criminologists here trying to diagnose this guy and his motives.

Did the company set him off? Maybe.

Did he have problems at home or financial issues? Maybe.

Did he have road rage issues driving in? Maybe.

It was stated that he had mental health issues. Depending on the severity of those issues, just about anything could have set him off. It's time to wait and see what the investigation shows.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I agree.. but workplace violence and suicides in general are becoming more and more common... ups needs to adapt along with other companies also....
It's society that needs to change. There is a stigma about mental health in this country and seeing a professional is still considered taboo.

We'll go to the doctor because the wife is fat and you can't get an erection, but not when someone has suicidal thoughts or facing depression? It's unfortunate.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
There are way too many amateur psychologists/sociologists/criminologists here trying to diagnose this guy and his motives.

Did the company set him off? Maybe.

Did he have problems at home or financial issues? Maybe.

Did he have road rage issues driving in? Maybe.

It was stated that he had mental health issues. Depending on the severity of those issues, just about anything could have set him off. It's time to wait and see what the investigation shows.
Although I'm enjoying this, I totally agree.
Everybody has to work tomorrow and getting worked up ain't gonna help.
Pick it up on Friday?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I agree.. but workplace violence and suicides in general are becoming more and more common... ups needs to adapt along with other companies also....
UPS can't get rid of employees they don't like* ... that's what other companies are doing!
* Well, not Union employees, but definitely management.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Wonder what the typical management response to that sort of doctor's note would be.
A classmate of mine committed suicide several years ago. Day after I did a PCM on the services available through the company for mental wellness. Someone took advantage of it and I consider it the most fulfilling moment I've ever had at UPS.

bbsam

Staff member
And how do we know he wasn't treated like a human? I mean this whole thread is saying management is at fault for the guy snapping, but we know nothing about his circumstances. Maybe his wife left him and he was trying to get shot by a cop? We know nothing.

There are a lot of blanket statements made on this site about the entire company, but experiences in every building is different.
I'm going to derail here to make a parallel point.

Recently the verbiage in our "Agreement" changed. We used to be charged a considerable amount for "at fault" accidents. Now we are charged for "preventable" accidents. In explaining this, management pointed out that sometimes we do things to cause others to hit us. Yes. That is exactly what he said.

With that in mind and considering UPS management and the pressure they are under, while UPS is not at fault, could it be seen as "preventable"?

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit

Recently the verbiage in our "Agreement" changed. We used to be charged a considerable amount for "at fault" accidents. Now we are charged for "preventable" accidents. In explaining this, management pointed out that sometimes we do things to cause others to hit us. Yes. That is exactly what he said.

With that in mind and considering UPS management and the pressure they are under, while UPS is not at fault, could it be seen as "preventable"?
He had a history of mental illness from what others have said. We don't know what could have set him off. Maybe it would just take one heavy day. Maybe a bunch in a row. That's something a person trained in the situation would have to identify.

It certainly is an excellent thought though.

542thruNthru

Shut up FedEx Ground! Before I sick bacha29 on you!

Just kidding carry on. ;)