UPS Shooting- San Francisco (Rant & News thread)

bbsam

Staff member
He had a history of mental illness from what others have said. We don't know what could have set him off. Maybe it would just take one heavy day. Maybe a bunch in a row. That's something a person trained in the situation would have to identify.

It certainly is an excellent thought though.
I think (and many others seem to agree) that there is something at UPS (and corporate America in general) that has lost touch with humanity. Everything is tuned to quarterly numbers and stock prices.

Think about how many people "aren't surprised" or are "surprised it doesn't happen more". Why is that?

twoweeled

So once again you blame it on management, you are so full of it. I can say the same thing about hourly employees in regards to dishonesty and fraud and I try and get rid of every one of them. Here is one of my examples: you are on the 9.5 list, we reduce your work load substantially, you still work 9.48 hours everyday not 8.5, 9.0 or 8.75 . That my friend, is stealing in my eyes. You cannot afford to work 8-9 hours a day and sure as hell not in SF. So if you want it, work for it by the guidelines laid out by the employer. Some days you will win, some days you won't (your words) the key is to have more winning days then losing days. I could post my opinion on the production standards but will save it for another time.

So you really want to change things? Go in to work tomorrow morning and say good morning and mean it..to your supervisor or manager. Have a conversation that is not related to work from the day before. We live in your community also. Yes your management team will address some things from the day before, because that is what management does in any business. It's not us against you, (all we have is each other) if you have that in your center then someone in your building/center/barn created it and feeds off of it. That some one could be management or hourly do not feed into the BS it is what they want.

Everything I posted above is the way I run my center, is it perfect no, but at least we are not at each other's throats everyday. So with all that said look in the mirror in the morning and ask yourself if you are part of the problem at work.

My heart goes out to the families that lost a loved one today, I hope they find peace and solace in the coming days.
I don't know why you got your undies in a bunch. What "kicked your dog" said was true. Maybe that's what upset you. We have no doubt you can attack hourly for dishonesty, and we're sure you do OFTEN. How often do you attack your brethren for the same dishonesty? Not as often has you do hourly I bet. Looking the other way when drivers get into their cars to go over their loads is their choice, right? That sup getting on the belt, , , well what's the harm, huh? A package sup did a pick up and you have 300 extra pieces that have to go somewhere? Well what's the harm, it's gotta go somewhere. Talking to that driver real quick before his start time or PCM? He's right there not doing anything, why not?? YEAH, you said in so many words. There's plenty of dishonesty to go around. The difference is, you're probably more accepting of it when management does it, than an hourly being dishonest. I'm glad I was sitting down for that big surprise!! Years ago, drivers used to get in an hour early to sheet and line up their truck. Than you throw those numbers in our face, knowing damn well how they got those numbers. Running their stops off? Well let me turn my head again, because I don't condone, what I don't see. Skipping breaks and meals? Hey, who are you to stop them, right? Take 10 minutes too long, and now we have an issue!
The 9.5 list? yeah, I won't argue much about that one. I know what you mean. But it doesn't say much for you when you had to be forced to do it, after telling your drivers for years you couldn't do it. More dishonesty? And you call someone who works that steady 9.48 stealing? That is just another example of the stuff that caused this today. EVERYTHING NOW IS DISHONESTY. LARGEST FREAKIN UMBRELLA ON THE PLANET. Just look at all the items falling under "stealing time". grabbing a coffee, talking to someone when not on break, attempts have been made on urinating off breaks. While you're firing the guy for dishonesty for grabbing a cup of coffee while not on break, how about you fire yourself for telling us you couldn't keep a driver under 9.5 but found out you could when you started paying grievances for it? Plenty of dishonesty to go around.
As for your production standards, I'm okay with you posting thought on that. I have some thoughts on those too!
Change things by going into work tomorrow and say good morning and mean it? Have a conversation that's not work related? Would there really be any problem with that, if I started that conversation, right after the PCM??? Gee, let me guess! You live in our community, but you don't wanna have a conversation with me or the majority of your people. Be honest with yourself. Why don't we chat with you? Just read your message. Who in your center wants to chat with you and why? It appears you forget you are the manager. That means, you do the managing. It is up to you to fuel that energy in your center, not your drivers! Are you serious? You have totally lost touch. No, I take that back. Maybe not. This is the UPS of today. You probably weren't around when we were sheeting our packages were you (I accept I could be wrong)?? 25 years max? Management of today leave a lot to be desired, compared to the managers who knew how to manage. I include to fools on the board. UPS'ers? No freakin way!
Would you like to change things at your center? Then being as your the manger of your center, how about you start changing things? I'm not holding my breath. While you may feel you are not at each others throats in your center, I wonder if the 20 year guys feel the same.
You may wanna look into that mirror you may have up in your dressing room and ask a similar question; Am I successful at creating a productive pleasant comfortable place to work, where my people don't feel they are being watched all the time? Let see if your answer isn't filled with asterisks, footnotes, hyperbole and equivocation?

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
He had a history of mental illness from what others have said. We don't know what could have set him off. Maybe it would just take one heavy day. Maybe a bunch in a row. That's something a person trained in the situation would have to identify.

It certainly is an excellent thought though.

On Facebook, I was told he was at the PCM, killed 2 management people and the guy he took work off of last night.
Not everybody that kills people "have a history of mental illness". He snapped and purposefully took it out on the ones that pissed him off.

Prayers to everyone involved in that building.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I think (and many others seem to agree) that there is something at UPS (and corporate America in general) that has lost touch with humanity. Everything is tuned to quarterly numbers and stock prices.

Think about how many people "aren't surprised" or are "surprised it doesn't happen more". Why is that?
Because we're all just a number on top of all the other numbers.

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
So once again you blame it on management, you are so full of it. I can say the same thing about hourly employees in regards to dishonesty and fraud and I try and get rid of every one of them. Here is one of my examples: you are on the 9.5 list, we reduce your work load substantially, you still work 9.48 hours everyday not 8.5, 9.0 or 8.75 . That my friend, is stealing in my eyes. You cannot afford to work 8-9 hours a day and sure as hell not in SF. So if you want it, work for it by the guidelines laid out by the employer. Some days you will win, some days you won't (your words) the key is to have more winning days then losing days. I could post my opinion on the production standards but will save it for another time.

So you really want to change things? Go in to work tomorrow morning and say good morning and mean it..to your supervisor or manager. Have a conversation that is not related to work from the day before. We live in your community also. Yes your management team will address some things from the day before, because that is what management does in any business. It's not us against you, (all we have is each other) if you have that in your center then someone in your building/center/barn created it and feeds off of it. That some one could be management or hourly do not feed into the BS it is what they want.

Everything I posted above is the way I run my center, is it perfect no, but at least we are not at each other's throats everyday. So with all that said look in the mirror in the morning and ask yourself if you are part of the problem at work.

My heart goes out to the families that lost a loved one today, I hope they find peace and solace in the coming days.
James Casey said management runs the company and we must take care of our people and culture to remain succesful. If you are surprised and a little butt hurt by the fact the culture begins from the top down, well I guess it's time to open your eyes. Btw, you're the boss right? How about you ALL SET THE TONE? I'd like to know how many drivers are asked how their families are, or given a "good morning" prior to all the garbage production and Orion numbers are scrutinized. This isn't about assigning blame, I'm just stating the obvious, but maybe the fudged employee surveys and dog and pony show that gets put on for Ketter audits are beginning to take effect on you. I say WE all contribute to the problem in one way or another. My contribution was not speaking up as a green horn. Those days are long gone now.

Last edited:

KDubb3

You are literally blaming the company for the guy killing people.

You know what everybody else does when they hate their job? Get a new one.
Get a new one? Try living in the Bay Area and getting a decent paying job to support a family. Ups barely does that but you can get by. 17$ is a minimum wage out here

twoweeled

I bet management will be nice tomorrow and bring bagels and coffee and all that stuff...then Friday back to normal...they're asking people from my center to go work
In San Francisco tomorrow...I'd do it in a heart beat...I'd fail so hard but it would be fun
am I being cynical? If an employee is stressed out today and feels he/she cannot work tomorrow,,,,I'm 95% sure this is a workman's comp claim. This is a can of worms UPS doesn't want opened. If someone fills out a claim tomorrow, I'm thinking they have a claim. Consult your professional. UPS may even get crazy and have breakfast burritos tomorrow. They want you working the next couple of days. Or am I wrong?

Last edited: