UPS Shooting- San Francisco (Rant & News thread)

TheDick

They asked all the drivers in my center if they wanted to todo ground saturday at SF center.

I just hope the center team is properly investigated, because this 9.5 issue aint going away.

twoweeled

Ups prides itself in taking all kinds of people from the street and turning them into robots that follow methods, keep the brisk pace, take the ass chewing put downs, demoralizing atmosphere and yet still are expected to not only get used to it but also to insulate the customers from it with a cheery attitude.

Mgmt doesn't have this added nugget (most of the time) because they don't interact with the public hundreds of times a day, thousands a week and millions throughout a career.

This :censored2: bottles up, and with a weak or weakened constitution can get uncorked in some bad ways with the wrong worker.

It's a risk at any job, but I can only speak to my time at UPS. I saw it in my small center with a few individuals I worked with, more often than I liked. People have enough to deal with just living life. Ups doesn't care about whatever you have going wrong and assumes you are fit to take a punching if they want you to have one.

Profits are good and necessary. But, the risk is there and will remain under the current culture. I doubt meaningful change will take place as the deceased will be viewed as expendable victims, not of the system that's in place, but of their own failures. The driver failed the daily "test" of fitness under stress and mgmt failed to recognize it.

Corporate will implement zero changes. Because on their minds - Orion is perfect, preload is wonderful, the calendar pictures reflect the Xanadu atmosphere (and it's real!) and all is working like a finely tuned machine.
You said it so much better and so much quicker than I. Bottom line, is UPS will not implement ANY changes, unless it'll make them money or cost them money. If some HUGE lawsuits come up, change will be consistent with the size of the lawsuits. Odds are fair, soon UPS will be talking money with the families involved. Sweep this away. Business as usual. I don't think we're having any problems with taking breaks "IN CALIFORNIA" anymore! I wonder why?? Could that lawsuit years back (BIG PAYOFFS) have anything to do with it?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
You said it so much better and so much quicker than I. Bottom line, is UPS will not implement ANY changes, unless it'll make them money or cost them money. If some HUGE lawsuits come up, change will be consistent with the size of the lawsuits. Odds are fair, soon UPS will be talking money with the families involved. Sweep this away. Business as usual. I don't think we're having any problems with taking breaks "IN CALIFORNIA" anymore! I wonder why?? Could that lawsuit years back (BIG PAYOFFS) have anything to do with it?
exactly right. each driver got $12,000 or more so now the company behaves.
any change that happens is always money related.

That's what gets me about upsers that are afraid to file. the company literally Banks on that. They knew I would file right away so around me they did things by the book. I got paid every cent I was owed. Ya, they tried the guilt trip thing with me but it did not work.

Stick up for yourselves!!!! ALWAYS>

10 Pt

exactly right. each driver got $12,000 or more so now the company behaves.
any change that happens is always money related.

That's what gets me about upsers that are afraid to file. the company literally Banks on that. They knew I would file right away so around me they did things by the book. I got paid every cent I was owed. Ya, they tried the guilt trip thing with me but it did not work.

Stick up for yourselves!!!! ALWAYS>
Sounds correct except for the fact that they are paying out 9.5 grievance money by the truck load and it seems (to some) that the only way out is to quit.

Isn't it interesting that when management snaps and a situation becomes threatening hr moves them. I've never seen any management person fired for threats and aggressive actions. They get moved at best from what we've experienced.

Evidently the company approves of hostile work environment actions when the aggression is from their ranks but as hourlies we have to fight our way through the layers of their attorneys to get justice when we've been wronged.

Add that to the frustration of long days, abusive dispatches, and problems at home precipitated at least in part because of the stress at work and extremely long hours.

This situation is not rectified because of the legality of complicit admission so good luck with fixing the issue when one side seemingly has their heads in the sand.
Murder is not the answer but the stock market should never override reality in a workplace that is too often pushed to it's limits.

Last edited by a moderator:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Heard my first smart-assed comment about the tragedy on Friday night, I was at a convenience store in my browns on my way home from work to grab a gallon of milk and some dipstick in line behind me said "wow I never knew UPS could also go postal." I turned around and glared at him for a moment and then wisely decided to be the bigger man and keep my mouth shut rather than dignifying his stupid comment with a response. Some other people in line shook their heads and glared at him also, while giving me sympathetic looks. Best to just let karma deal with people like that...

10 Pt

Heard my first smart-assed comment about the tragedy on Friday night, I was at a convenience store in my browns on my way home from work to grab a gallon of milk and some dipstick in line behind me said "wow I never knew UPS could also go postal." I turned around and glared at him for a moment and then wisely decided to be the bigger man and keep my mouth shut rather than dignifying his stupid comment with a response. Some other people in line shook their heads and glared at him also, while giving me sympathetic looks. Best to just let karma deal with people like that...
Should've asked him in front of everyone if he still believed in beating his wife.

no_map_needed

Knowledge is key, Experience is power.
Condolences to everyone involved. What more can we say. That center will probably be under investigation from the center manager down to the OMS when the lawsuits start rolling in and you know what UPS will do to them.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
They have had one shooting and security hasn't been changed, now we have another shooting .....what kind of defense could the company have???then throw in the proven historic issue of harassement and micromanagement and it really doesn't look good ups... even with all of their high dollar lawyers...

10 Pt

Not sure if this was mental instability...there is a difference between someone who has a history of diagnosed crap and someone like you and me who just doesn't give a friend anymore and just snaps....
They have had one shooting and security hasn't been changed, now we have another shooting .....what kind of defense could the company have???then throw in the proven historic issue of harassement and micromanagement and it really doesn't look good ups... even with all of their high dollar lawyers...
How does someone get past security while packing all that heat?
That will be the Achilles tendon in my opinion.

Does the company not know that they are going to be scrutinized heavily after Birmingham? And that wasn't the first incident like that.
Now, what's the excuse?
Expect the unexpected is valid except when it costs more $$$ to beef up security? What does it take to make security do their darn job?

If it's true that the suicide rate is rising there are reasons for that and that means that the frequency of murder/suicide is probably increasing as well. SMH

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Oregon is full of cuckservatives ... whatcha expect?

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
I'd have socked that coward right in the jaw