UPS sick days

WorkingMomof2

So I recently needed to use one of My sick days. I have been at UPS 3 years now. I am a part time package handler. (Tho not really part time now, we’re working like 8-9 hr. days) Anyways, I rarely EVER take off work and actually still have all of My personal days from this year.. I HATE to miss work but I needed to use one of My sick days for something VERY very important & personal..
Well when I called in to tell them, A female answered the phone and was extremely rude to me, She asked Why I needed to take off and I told her(which IMO we shouldn’t have to explain our personal things to them) she then said that I could come in afterwards, I then told her that i wasn’t able to, She then was talking to someone in the background relaying our conversation which was crazy (I felt ganged up on in a way) And I then told her that I put in for a personal day for this day I needed off but was denied(I heard from a co worker that after like October on they deny almost all personals because of the holiday season) (That’s totally unfair to me also because I save up My days for emergencies and now the end of the year I’m totally screwed because I didn’t use My days “fast enough” so now I miss out on taking them) (and yes I know they get paid out, but I’ll end up losing money because they’ll take taxes out) but whatever.. ..
And she then said “Well I’ll be getting ahold of your Union steward then” and I was like what?!
- - The whole conversation was absolutely bizarre and I just can’t believe that’s the way they treat employees, We’re entitled to our sick days, That’s the law. We’re in the union. How are they allowed to threaten us and in not so many words say “If you don’t come into work, you’ll be in trouble”. How?!
Every other job I’ve ever had, I’ve never had any issues when using a sick day. We shouldn’t be scared to call off and be in fear of something happening like getting a warning letter/getting sat down/getting written up etc. It’s not right and not fair...
We do have other responsibilities other then our job. We have doctor appointments/sick kids/emergencies etc. Things happen.

- - I did call My union hall and the guy that I spoke to basically said that the hub probably won’t do anything to me, that it was a “heat of the moment” thing and they were just mad about people calling off.. He said he made a note of it and wrote My name down just in case and I told him how crazy I thought the conversation was and how unprofessional it was of the lady, And I also told him that I rarely EVER miss work and to check My attendance. I’m always at work. He was nice about it all but still.. It’s upsetting& We shouldn’t be afraid to call off.

Has anyone else had issues like this? What did you guys do? What should I do? Should I file a complaint? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks. 😊

over9five

Staff member
So I recently needed to use one of My sick days. I have been at UPS 3 years now. I am a part time package handler. (Tho not really part time now, we’re working like 8-9 hr. days) Anyways, I rarely EVER take off work and actually still have all of My personal days from this year.. I
1. You're taking it way too personal.
2. You were on the phone with them way too long. Tell them you're booking off. As soon as they start their BS, say "Have a great day, goodbye!", and hang up.
3. As you said, they're YOUR sick days, don't be afraid to use them. And don't let them get to you with their BS.

542thruNthru

Yea I guess that could work Lol
You don't have a attendance problem and they probably know you don't call out much. So they tried to intimidate you. Again next time just tell them who you are and that you're sick and hang up. You can not be fired for it as long as you don't have a habit of calling out.

WorkingMomof2

1. You're taking it way too personal.
2. You were on the phone with them way too long. Tell them you're booking off. As soon as they start their BS, say "Have a great day, goodbye!", and hang up.
3. As you said, they're YOUR sick days, don't be afraid to use them. And don't let them get to you with their BS.
Right. I agree. I guess I’m not the type to just hang up on someone. But very true. I just thinks it’s ridiculous. We shouldn’t be talked to like that at all. We’re allowed to use our days period. Wether they like it or not. Just write my damn name down and move on. I hate the way they handle the call off situations there. They’re all very rude and seem to think they’re untouchable. I really wish they were more compassionate because they have NO idea what’s going on in My personal life.
Thanks for your input tho. I do appreciate it.

WorkingMomof2

You don't have a attendance problem and they probably know you don't call out much. So they tried to intimidate you. Again next time just tell them who you are and that you're sick and hang up. You can not be fired for it as long as you don't have a habit of calling out.
Thank you. I appreciate the info. And you’re absolutely right. They know exactly how to intimidate you. It’s a shame that we’re treated so badly when trying to take our sick days. I never take off work. I always save my days for important things/emergencies.. But the 1 time I really need to use one, I get talked to like that and threatened action against me. It’s sad.

ZeroHandicapper

Olympic Preload Gold Medalist
So I recently needed to use one of My sick days. I have been at UPS 3 years now. I am a part time package handler. (Tho not really part time now, we’re working like 8-9 hr. days) Anyways, I rarely EVER take off work and actually still have all of My personal days from this year.. I HATE to miss work but I needed to use one of My sick days for something VERY very important & personal..
Well when I called in to tell them, A female answered the phone and was extremely rude to me, She asked Why I needed to take off and I told her(which IMO we shouldn’t have to explain our personal things to them) she then said that I could come in afterwards, I then told her that i wasn’t able to, She then was talking to someone in the background relaying our conversation which was crazy (I felt ganged up on in a way) And I then told her that I put in for a personal day for this day I needed off but was denied(I heard from a co worker that after like October on they deny almost all personals because of the holiday season) (That’s totally unfair to me also because I save up My days for emergencies and now the end of the year I’m totally screwed because I didn’t use My days “fast enough” so now I miss out on taking them) (and yes I know they get paid out, but I’ll end up losing money because they’ll take taxes out) but whatever.. ..
And she then said “Well I’ll be getting ahold of your Union steward then” and I was like what?!
- - The whole conversation was absolutely bizarre and I just can’t believe that’s the way they treat employees, We’re entitled to our sick days, That’s the law. We’re in the union. How are they allowed to threaten us and in not so many words say “If you don’t come into work, you’ll be in trouble”. How?!
Every other job I’ve ever had, I’ve never had any issues when using a sick day. We shouldn’t be scared to call off and be in fear of something happening like getting a warning letter/getting sat down/getting written up etc. It’s not right and not fair...
We do have other responsibilities other then our job. We have doctor appointments/sick kids/emergencies etc. Things happen.

- - I did call My union hall and the guy that I spoke to basically said that the hub probably won’t do anything to me, that it was a “heat of the moment” thing and they were just mad about people calling off.. He said he made a note of it and wrote My name down just in case and I told him how crazy I thought the conversation was and how unprofessional it was of the lady, And I also told him that I rarely EVER miss work and to check My attendance. I’m always at work. He was nice about it all but still.. It’s upsetting& We shouldn’t be afraid to call off.

Has anyone else had issues like this? What did you guys do? What should I do? Should I file a complaint? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks. 😊
I hear horror stories like this and cannot imagine working in a larger center or hub. Where I am at, everyone is basically family and we may cuss one another, but we end up picking up the slack when someone is off. Those are your days! Use them when needed.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Right. I agree. I guess I’m not the type to just hang up on someone. But very true. I just thinks it’s ridiculous. We shouldn’t be talked to like that at all. We’re allowed to use our days period. Wether they like it or not. Just write my damn name down and move on. I hate the way they handle the call off situations there. They’re all very rude and seem to think they’re untouchable. I really wish they were more compassionate because they have NO idea what’s going on in My personal life.
Thanks for your input tho. I do appreciate it.
They do not care what is going on in your life....and they dont care, period. As stated before, This is x, I cannot come in today. I know how you feel, you need to be tough. I never cared for the intimidation either.

charm299

File a grievance for harassment

ski or die

Ski or Die
I am a retired Steward. Next time note time, date, and who you are speaking to. Let them know you are using a sick day. If she starts the harassment, just tell her sorry, but cannot make it because I don't feel well and hang up. Upon return to work, notify manager you are filing a grievance for harassment which you are required to do, have your union steward present when you tell management. Then file the grievance. Not much may be done on grievance at the hearing, but if enough are filed against this supervisor, it eventually will affect her career. This option worked pretty good while I was a Steward.

WorkingMomof2

I hear horror stories like this and cannot imagine working in a larger center or hub. Where I am at, everyone is basically family and we may cuss one another, but we end up picking up the slack when someone is off. Those are your days! Use them when needed.
Thank you. I wish SO bad it was more friendly and they(management) had a bit more compassion because they really don’t know what’s happening in My&Our lives.. They shouldn’t 1.) Be rude over the phone like that. 2.) Have us go into detail as to WHY we’re using out sick day and 3.) Basically threaten people and scare us into just coming in and not using our sick day..
This is the only job that I’ve like been afraid to call off, Because I know whoever answers that phone will have an attitude and will ask questions and stuff. I don’t understand how they can act like that towards us. Why now just write My name down and write I’m using My sick day. Why all the drama and the rudeness? 😕

WorkingMomof2

I am a retired Steward. Next time note time, date, and who you are speaking to. Let them know you are using a sick day. If she starts the harassment, just tell her sorry, but cannot make it because I don't feel well and hang up. Upon return to work, notify manager you are filing a grievance for harassment which you are required to do, have your union steward present when you tell management. Then file the grievance. Not much may be done on grievance at the hearing, but if enough are filed against this supervisor, it eventually will affect her career. This option worked pretty good while I was a Steward.
Wow thank you very much! I appreciate all the info. I’m absolutely talking to My union steward upon My return tomorrow and telling him this whole situation. It’s uncalled for and sooooo unprofessional and it feels like harassment to me. &I know I’m not the only one at My hub with this kinda issue either. There’s been quite a few people that have said when they called in they got attitude over the phone and what not. It’s crazy to me how they can act like that towards their employees. Crazy...

ManInBrown

Hi this is working mom of 2. Not coming in today. Utilize a sick day. Click. You don’t need to say another word other than that. Part of your entitlements is sick days. Use them as you see fit. You don’t need to explain anything to anyone. Use the sick day and hang up.

Our morning OMS in package stopped accepting sick calls a few years before I left. The second he heard your voice he would send you down to the on car office. I used get such a kick out of the dispatcher begging me to come in. You’re real light today. Please come in. Used to chuckle and hang up. Don’t play their games. UPS will not fold if you don’t show up. I promise you, the building will still be standing when you report to work the next day.

WorkingMomof2

They do not care what is going on in your life....and they dont care, period. As stated before, This is x, I cannot come in today. I know how you feel, you need to be tough. I never cared for the intimidation either.
Right. They intimidate and try to scare you. That’s what they do. & I actually care about My job so when they said to me that they’re going to talk to My union steward, right when I got off the phone with them, I called My union hall. Because I don’t see how they can do anything about me using MY sick day. I’m not one of the people that’s constantly missing work. I’m always there and My attendance record can reflect that. And it’s not like I like missing work, But sometimes things happen and come up and you just can’t go into work. It happens a to everyone. We all have lives outside of UPS. As much as they don’t want us to, we do and I have 2 young children that need me to.
Why would they care what’s going on in your personal life?

You’re a cog in the machine no more no less
They just like to intimidate. They don’t want anyone using personal or sick days. They just want us all to work work work and do absolutely nothing else. It’s ridiculous.

ski or die

Ski or Die
Rarely used a sick day myself unless really struggling. But I used everyone of those days as a mental health day to go fishing or snow skiing. Great thing now is I have unlimited sick days. If I don't feel like doing anything today, I just take the day off. It snowed today, and I don't have to get out and drive to work with all the crazy drivers. And I don't have to talk to some gung ho supervisor worried about his job and harass me because he's afraid they may send him out to deliver for peak.