UPS sick days

PT 4 Life

Most-Hated Member
Don’t over explain. Keep it simple, because these guys will try to guilt you. “We need you” blah blah blah. Enjoy your day off.

ski or die

Ski or Die
Wow that’s crazy. Yea we get 1 person that answers and usually someone is in the background and they kinda Gang up on you. It’s so messed up. SOO messed up. And I just don’t understand how such a BIG successful company can treat their employees like complete *!
It’s insanity and I’ve never experienced such disrespect and such attitudes from an employer of mine. Like they have absolutely no idea what’s going on in My life. It’s just so not right... And I’m tired of putting up with it.
In Management, they send them to classes every so often to learn these techniques to intimidate employees. It is a requirement they have to do to keep their own butts out of trouble. If their manager thinks they are not being hard enough they are threatened with their own jobs. I remember once when a supervisor was giving me a rough time so I said to him, "you know, I've seen a lot of managers and supervisors come and go, but I'm still here, what are your chances of retiring from UPS before all the pressure gets to you."

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
This is a job all about personal choices. This job is a big game that we all have to play our own way.
Some drivers I know and respect would rather chop a finger off than call in, even when they are actually sick, and use those days up.
Personally, I like a random mental health day off to get my life organized on a week day. Every 3-4 months. And I don’t feel bad about it when I do bang out.
If I get sick, which happens once every couple of years, I sure as hell don’t feel bad and will take 3 days to make sure I’m 100% before I go back
If you’re a mom and you have kids...use those days up. You’ll know exactly when/if it becomes a problem, and you’ll be well protected. Sorry UPS. Doesn’t mean that you’re not a valuable employee. Not everybody wants to sacrifice their entire life for brown.
Some of us just want to make a good living and enjoy our lives

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Because they asked me why I was taking a sick day. Lol they ask a million questions. They shouldn’t but they do. We’re entitled to our sick days and it shouldn’t matter why I need to use it but they’re bullies and try to intimidate.

Good lord are you still going on about this
Call in when you need off don’t give any details
End of story

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
All the talking and discussion leads them to believe they can talk you into coming in. I'm sick should be the extent of the conversation. Hell, I had it to the point that all I did was make the call, say my name, and they'd say, "ok see you tomorrow" before I even said I wasn't coming in. They knew I only called if calling in sick, and there was no sense in even discussing it.

WorkingMomof2

To survive @UPS....

You are going to need to toughen up.

The management people that talk smack.... will be long gone before you.
Very true. I just try my best to be professional and courteous, that’s the way I was raised. I try to have respect for My bosses/supervisors and the higher ups but it’s hard to do that when they treat us all like :censored2:. It’s unfair. Now MAYBE I could see if I was a new hire or someone who’s constantly missing work, but I am not. I’m actually one of the few people that’s always at work. I only miss when I REALLY need to and I use My sick days.
But The whole situation is just SO unfair and we shouldn’t be treated the way we are.

WorkingMomof2

Totally this. Why you’re calling in is none of their damn business, as long as you have the sick time in the bank.

I found if you be extra polite when you call in it really chaps their ass, “Good morning, this is John Smith, I am calling in sick today. Thank you, have a wonderful day.” *click*

If they try to retaliate in anyway file a harassment grievance.
That’s a really good idea. Thank you!

WorkingMomof2

All the talking and discussion leads them to believe they can talk you into coming in. I'm sick should be the extent of the conversation. Hell, I had it to the point that all I did was make the call, say my name, and they'd say, "ok see you tomorrow" before I even said I wasn't coming in. They knew I only called if calling in sick, and there was no sense in even discussing it.
I wish that’s how it was at My hub. They’re all sooo mean and try so hard to guilt you into coming and and they use intimidation tactics. It’s ridiculous how they are towards us when calling in sick. Like they REALLY hate when people call off. It’s insane.

WorkingMomof2

This is a job all about personal choices. This job is a big game that we all have to play our own way.
Some drivers I know and respect would rather chop a finger off than call in, even when they are actually sick, and use those days up.
Personally, I like a random mental health day off to get my life organized on a week day. Every 3-4 months. And I don’t feel bad about it when I do bang out.
If I get sick, which happens once every couple of years, I sure as hell don’t feel bad and will take 3 days to make sure I’m 100% before I go back
If you’re a mom and you have kids...use those days up. You’ll know exactly when/if it becomes a problem, and you’ll be well protected. Sorry UPS. Doesn’t mean that you’re not a valuable employee. Not everybody wants to sacrifice their entire life for brown.
Some of us just want to make a good living and enjoy our lives
Thank you! And I agree. It’s life. Things come up. Sometimes you HAVE to take a day off. And that’s exactly why we get those days. It’s such a shame that I now feel scared (in a way) to ever call off again....:(
Nobody should feel that way when it has something to do with their job.. It’s sad and I just wish so bad they would change/adjust the way they deal with call offs. I’m not the only one that’s dealt with the rudeness and the interrogations when calling off. I asked quite a few of my friends, most have 10+ more years seniority on me, if they got an attitude over the phone when they had to take a sick day and they all said yes and My one friend has been there I think 11 years now and she’s one hell of a worker, Very reliable, only takes off when she’s super ill, She told me when she recently was sick and had to call off, The girl over the phone pretty much made her go into detail on what her symptoms were. Like WTF?! she was really sick to, she had a fever, was dizzy and was throwing up frequently.. And the jerk over the phone asked her all kinds of questions and asked what was wrong/why she couldn’t come in/etc. And not in a concerned type of way, In a RUDE, bchy kinda way..
It’s absolutely ridiculous to me that they’re allowed to question us like that!
We get sick days for a reason! We shouldn’t have to go into detail and explain our whole situation to them. It’s personal stuff. But they OBVIOUSLY could care less. They act like we don’t have lives outside of UPS. lol

WorkingMomof2

In Management, they send them to classes every so often to learn these techniques to intimidate employees. It is a requirement they have to do to keep their own butts out of trouble. If their manager thinks they are not being hard enough they are threatened with their own jobs. I remember once when a supervisor was giving me a rough time so I said to him, "you know, I've seen a lot of managers and supervisors come and go, but I'm still here, what are your chances of retiring from UPS before all the pressure gets to you."
Wow I had no clue about that. Classes? WTF?! it’s ridiculous. We have lives outside of UPS. Lol. Things come up and sometimes you HAVE to take a day off. It is what it is.. They need to change the way they handle call offs. It’s messed up!!!
My one friend, He’s SUCH a nice guy. He’s older, in his 40s. Good worker, strong, Super laid back guy, he’s a father of 4 little girls and his wife has Cancer. He HAS to take her to chemotherapy appointments frequently and unfortunately with her illness she’s unable to drive herself so HE has to take off work and take her and could you believe they constantly give him :censored2: for it! It’s soooo sad. I couldn’t even imagine my loved one being ill like that but then to have My employer be so completely unsympathetic about My situation and not understand that I need a day off to take My sick, loved one to their chemo appt?! Man... It breaks My heart. :(
The way they treat us is unacceptable!

WorkingMomof2

Totally this. Why you’re calling in is none of their damn business, as long as you have the sick time in the bank.

I found if you be extra polite when you call in it really chaps their ass, “Good morning, this is John Smith, I am calling in sick today. Thank you, have a wonderful day.” *click*

If they try to retaliate in anyway file a harassment grievance.
Thank you!

WorkingMomof2

Clearly you talk way too much.

When you call in you simply say "I'm sick today."
There should never be a point where they ask you why you need the day off. And if they ask you why you need the day off you simply say I'm sick today.

you put them in a position where they didn't know why you were not coming in. if you tell them "I'm sick" then it makes sense and they can code the day out as sick. If you are unclear and saying dumb stuff like I need to day off or I'm not coming in today then they don't know how to code that and it makes no sense.

You don't have to reveal anything to them. Don't tell them any stories. Use the proper words and things go quickly and smoothly.
What I say is - Hi this (My name,First and last) and Then I say what belt I’m on.. Then I say I need to use My sick day. (All in one sentence)
That’s all I ever say.
But for some reason, they feel it’s necessary to question me. lol it’s ridiculous and that’s exactly why I posted this thread in the first place. How the heck can they do that?!
We get sick days for a reason. Sometimes things come up and you need to take a day off. We get sick, have emergencies, dr appts. Etc. It’s life...
In My eyes they absolutely shouldn’t question us why we need the day off like that. I’m not even the only person in My hub with this issue. I asked quite a few of My friends there and they ALL said they have issues similar to mine, when they call in needing to use their sick day..
I’ve never had any problems like this at My other jobs when I needed to use a sick day. Only at UPS.
And MAYBE I could see them asking questions If I was a new hire OR If I constantly missed work. But I don’t. My attendance is great. &I actually still have all of My personal days from this year that I didn’t even use! Lol Which is crazy but I REALLY don’t like missing work. But I have 2 young children, one is a baby, and I have things that come up and I NEED to use a sick day. I shouldn’t be scared to call off like I am now.. It’s messed up. And it’s honestly borderline harassment I feel like.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Thank you! And I agree. It’s life. Things come up. Sometimes you HAVE to take a day off. And that’s exactly why we get those days. It’s such a shame that I now feel scared (in a way) to ever call off again....:(
Nobody should feel that way when it has something to do with their job.. It’s sad and I just wish so bad they would change/adjust the way they deal with call offs. I’m not the only one that’s dealt with the rudeness and the interrogations when calling off. I asked quite a few of my friends, most have 10+ more years seniority on me, if they got an attitude over the phone when they had to take a sick day and they all said yes and My one friend has been there I think 11 years now and she’s one hell of a worker, Very reliable, only takes off when she’s super ill, She told me when she recently was sick and had to call off, The girl over the phone pretty much made her go into detail on what her symptoms were. Like WTF?! she was really sick to, she had a fever, was dizzy and was throwing up frequently.. And the jerk over the phone asked her all kinds of questions and asked what was wrong/why she couldn’t come in/etc. And not in a concerned type of way, In a RUDE, bchy kinda way..
It’s absolutely ridiculous to me that they’re allowed to question us like that!
We get sick days for a reason! We shouldn’t have to go into detail and explain our whole situation to them. It’s personal stuff. But they OBVIOUSLY could care less. They act like we don’t have lives outside of UPS. lol

Why do you make this so difficult ?
When you call in it doesent need to go any farther than this
Supe hello
Working mom This is working mom I won't be in today
Supe why not?
working mom goodbye then hang the phone up

Dr.Brownz

I wish that’s how it was at My hub. They’re all sooo mean and try so hard to guilt you into coming and and they use intimidation tactics. It’s ridiculous how they are towards us when calling in sick. Like they REALLY hate when people call off. It’s insane.

Just stop caring. They are sad worthless people who don't care about you. One day they will all die and you will be richer than them.

Dr.Brownz

What I say is - Hi this (My name,First and last) and Then I say what belt I’m on.. Then I say I need to use My sick day. (All in one sentence)
That’s all I ever say.
But for some reason, they feel it’s necessary to question me. lol it’s ridiculous and that’s exactly why I posted this thread in the first place. How the heck can they do that?!
We get sick days for a reason. Sometimes things come up and you need to take a day off. We get sick, have emergencies, dr appts. Etc. It’s life...
In My eyes they absolutely shouldn’t question us why we need the day off like that. I’m not even the only person in My hub with this issue. I asked quite a few of My friends there and they ALL said they have issues similar to mine, when they call in needing to use their sick day..
I’ve never had any problems like this at My other jobs when I needed to use a sick day. Only at UPS.
And MAYBE I could see them asking questions If I was a new hire OR If I constantly missed work. But I don’t. My attendance is great. &I actually still have all of My personal days from this year that I didn’t even use! Lol Which is crazy but I REALLY don’t like missing work. But I have 2 young children, one is a baby, and I have things that come up and I NEED to use a sick day. I shouldn’t be scared to call off like I am now.. It’s messed up. And it’s honestly borderline harassment I feel like.

File a harassment grievance next time they question you. Let them talk, let them give you enough rope to hang them. Put exact quotes of the BS they fling at you in the grievance. Keep filing every single time this happens.