UPS to deliver DHL packages??!!

What'dyabringmetoday???

I don't pull a trailer, I don't plan on bidding a route that hauls a trailer, so why would this concern me?

You need to get a hobby other than following me around on BC.
I was referring to the mall driver, not you. He should know enough that he (or she) gets additional pay for towing a TP60. You get it for the whole day, not just when you are towing it. Again, I was referring to the mall driver, not you. Yes, it is hard to believe, but not all things UPS revolve around you.

I don't pull a trailer, I don't plan on bidding a route that hauls a trailer, so why would this concern me?

You need to get a hobby other than following me around on BC.

It should be in your supplement some places get .10 or .15 even .26 an hour extra for that day.

Overpaid Union Thug

I pull the trailer everyday, upstate. I used to have to count on MGMT putting my trailer pay in for me. That was hit or miss, depending on if they remembered. Still worked out though. I just coerced them into buying me lunch a couple times that week, LOL. Nowadays we put our time for extra equipment in the diad under extra work, big arrow down twice and I for extra equip. There's actually a really good time allowance for hooking and unhooking. There are 3 drivers in my center that pull a tp60 daily, and they're always loaded to the hilt.

Here we scan the TP60 bar code while in the "vehicles" field and enter "2" under "couple" and again under "uncouple." For a while they had us enter "99" instead of "06" for the paycode but lately everyone has been relying on the local sort sups to deal with our TP60 pay. I've never had any problems with my pay checks. Yet.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Here we scan the TP60 bar code while in the "vehicles" field and enter "2" under "couple" and again under "uncouple." For a while they had us enter "99" instead of "06" for the paycode but lately everyone has been relying on the local sort sups to deal with our TP60 pay. I've never had any problems with my pay checks. Yet.

Haven't had a problem ever since I've been putting the code in my board. Most times I put a 3 in both spots for couple and uncouple. I usally drop my trailer at my first bulk stop, run my air and come back to get it afterwards.

Overpaid Union Thug

Haven't had a problem ever since I've been putting the code in my board. Most times I put a 3 in both spots for couple and uncouple. I usally drop my trailer at my first bulk stop, run my air and come back to get it afterwards.

Typically all of our routes with TP60s USUALLY don't have to run NDAs unless they are going to the same places the TP60 is delivering to. Most of ours stop at Wal-Mart first then a couple of other bulk stops with the last being the location where the trailer stays until the end of the day.

I loved having my trailer back in package. $.15 extra an hour,tons more pieces to boost my planned day-all to one stop,drop it behind MBE to load their pickup in themselves,and trailer experience to take into feeder.

rod

Retired 22 years
I loved having my trailer back in package. $.15 extra an hour,tons more pieces to boost my planned day-all to one stop,drop it behind MBE to load their pickup in themselves,and trailer experience to take into feeder.

and they make an excellent covered trailer for moving furniture on the weedend

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Typically all of our routes with TP60s USUALLY don't have to run NDAs unless they are going to the same places the TP60 is delivering to. Most of ours stop at Wal-Mart first then a couple of other bulk stops with the last being the location where the trailer stays until the end of the day.

I haven't delivered to walmart since I was a swing driver. I get air just like the next guy, up to maybe 20 or so. So I'll drop my trailer, deliver my air and whatever bulk I may have in the car. And depending on how many stops I have, either pick up the trailer deliver pkgs in it and drop and continue to my first stop. Or Do all my stops with the trailer and leave it wherever I finish delivering trailer load. Sometomes I'll have the trailer till like 12:30/13:00.

I had a trailer while I was a swing driver at times. I would grab it for my 40 pick ups on this one route and do all the pick ups with it attached. I did this so I could get the hang of backing and moving it around. On my current bid route they ask if I'd like to do the letterboxes sometimes. There are 20 letterboxes and I bring the TP60 along for the ride, LOL.

rod

Retired 22 years
They would never allow that here.

I'll give you a little hint......................................don't believe everything you read on the internet:peaceful: They wouldn't allow that "anyplace"................................ for a period of about 5 or 6 years we did use the UPS building on weekends to wash our private vehicals and do minor repairs in the winter. The center manager lived out of town and the sups were usually so smoked up they didn't have a clue what was going on.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
After the hurricanes blew through here, UPS gave us 5gals of fuel right from the center fuel pumps. They also brought in a semi full of 10lb bags of ice for all of us employees. This went on till power was restored. Our sister center in Ft. Pierce FL suffered major damage and had to move in with us temporarily. Now that was a fiasco. And since this thread is about DHL pkgs, I feel compelled to say something about this. Why don't DHL guys wave when you pass by them on the road. I'm on a first name basis with the USPS, Fedex Ex, and Fedex ground people. And these guys don't even wave back, what gives?

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
After the hurricanes blew through here, UPS gave us 5gals of fuel right from the center fuel pumps. They also brought in a semi full of 10lb bags of ice for all of us employees. This went on till power was restored. Our sister center in Ft. Pierce FL suffered major damage and had to move in with us temporarily. Now that was a fiasco. And since this thread is about DHL pkgs, I feel compelled to say something about this. Why don't DHL guys wave when you pass by them on the road. I'm on a first name basis with the USPS, Fedex Ex, and Fedex ground people. And these guys don't even wave back, what gives?

Why the concern,they are all the enemy.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Dhl in chicago are teamsters and we get along pretty good with the most of them. I have the problems with the fedex ground guys.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Yes! 10 cents extra per hour which also amounts to 15 cents extra per hour o/t. And I check my paystub weekly to make sure it's in there.

Is that a non powered car?? I have never seen a pup pulled by one of the old time vehicles. I guess you learn to back the pup up once to protect your shoulders!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
This came out yesterday-sounds like UPS may be handling ALL DHL packages, not just air, and that DHL is in talks to deliver 50% of DHL's packages in the US!!!

Parcel shipping: FT report indicates DHL may need to delay US restructuring plan by up to eight weeks
Jeff Berman, Group News Editor -- Logistics Management, 9/12/2008
BONN, Germany—A report published by the Financial Times Deutschland indicated that Deutsche Post World Net (DPWN), the parent company of express and logistics services provider DHL, will have to delay its restructuring schedule for DHL Express USA by approximately eight weeks.

DPWN announced its restructuring plan on May 28. It is comprised of:

a ten-year, $10 billion contract with UPS for airlift capacity to reduce its ground infrastructure operations costs (this deal is not yet completed, and the House Committee on the Judiciary held a hearing on it this week focused on competition in the package industry; the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure is holding a separate hearing on this matter on Tuesday, September 16);

rationalizing infrastructure by 34 percent by closing and consolidating US stations in low density and remote areas, low density areas in multiple station locations, and nearby stations in multiple station locations;

reducing pickup and linehaul delivery routes by 17 and 18 percent, respectively; and

expanding DHL’s partnership with the United States Postal Service, which will enable DHL to continue delivering to more rural parts of the US, among others.

The FT report indicated that DHL’s US operations, which have long been facing an uphill battle for market share competing against industry titans UPS and FedEx, “have been running worse than expected over the last few months” which is delaying negotiations with UPS. The UPS-DHL contract was originally expected to be finalized by August, industry analysts are suggesting it may take at least another two months, with UPS to commence handling DHL’s airlift for express US domestic and international shipments from airport-to-airport within North America.

One of the main reasons for the contract being delayed, according to the FT, was that DPWN CEO Frank Appel now wants to “reduce DHL’s delivery capacity [in the US] by 50 percent instead of a third as initially intended. As a result UPS might cover part of DHL’s ground deliveries as well.”

An industry source told LM that there have been rumors that a major announcement will be coming from DPWN next week that will announce downsizings at DHL Express USA. The source added that although DHL has outsourced deliveries to the USPS through DHL@home since 1999—roughly a $300 million annually operation geared for business-to-business residence shippers in which shipments are picked up by DHL and delivered directly to consignees by the local post office—“it may have figured out it can get better service and a lower price from UPS Ground than the USPS.

“DHL needs to pick up the pace at which it is right-sizing US operations,” said the source. “They have to rationalize their expenses with their income far more rapidly than they have been doing it [in his Judiciary Committee testimony this week, DHL Express CEO John Mullen said DHL is suffering operating losses of about $5 million per day], and they might have figured out that it might be better to outsource deliveries to UPS rather than the USPS because of better cost and service.”

“Both parties are committed to reaching an agreement,” a DHL spokesperson told LM. “Discussions between DHL and UPS are ongoing and details about the proposed arrangements and the timing of a final agreement are still subject to negotiation and confidentiality requirements. We regret that we are not in a position to provide more details at this time.”

Ok, is it just me or does that make no sense...typo? No :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: they are loosing money, I swear the dhl van in my area only has 10 packages in it at 10am, no joke.FEDEX ground is the ones ups needs to start kicking :censored2: on, why isnt anyone focusing on them???

Coldworld

60 months and counting
This came out yesterday-sounds like UPS may be handling ALL DHL packages, not just air, and that DHL is in talks to deliver 50% of DHL's packages in the US!!!

Parcel shipping: FT report indicates DHL may need to delay US restructuring plan by up to eight weeks
Jeff Berman, Group News Editor -- Logistics Management, 9/12/2008
BONN, Germany—A report published by the Financial Times Deutschland indicated that Deutsche Post World Net (DPWN), the parent company of express and logistics services provider DHL, will have to delay its restructuring schedule for DHL Express USA by approximately eight weeks.

DPWN announced its restructuring plan on May 28. It is comprised of:

a ten-year, $10 billion contract with UPS for airlift capacity to reduce its ground infrastructure operations costs (this deal is not yet completed, and the House Committee on the Judiciary held a hearing on it this week focused on competition in the package industry; the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure is holding a separate hearing on this matter on Tuesday, September 16);

rationalizing infrastructure by 34 percent by closing and consolidating US stations in low density and remote areas, low density areas in multiple station locations, and nearby stations in multiple station locations;

reducing pickup and linehaul delivery routes by 17 and 18 percent, respectively; and

expanding DHL’s partnership with the United States Postal Service, which will enable DHL to continue delivering to more rural parts of the US, among others.

The FT report indicated that DHL’s US operations, which have long been facing an uphill battle for market share competing against industry titans UPS and FedEx, “have been running worse than expected over the last few months” which is delaying negotiations with UPS. The UPS-DHL contract was originally expected to be finalized by August, industry analysts are suggesting it may take at least another two months, with UPS to commence handling DHL’s airlift for express US domestic and international shipments from airport-to-airport within North America.

One of the main reasons for the contract being delayed, according to the FT, was that DPWN CEO Frank Appel now wants to “reduce DHL’s delivery capacity [in the US] by 50 percent instead of a third as initially intended. As a result UPS might cover part of DHL’s ground deliveries as well.”

An industry source told LM that there have been rumors that a major announcement will be coming from DPWN next week that will announce downsizings at DHL Express USA. The source added that although DHL has outsourced deliveries to the USPS through DHL@home since 1999—roughly a $300 million annually operation geared for business-to-business residence shippers in which shipments are picked up by DHL and delivered directly to consignees by the local post office—“it may have figured out it can get better service and a lower price from UPS Ground than the USPS.

“DHL needs to pick up the pace at which it is right-sizing US operations,” said the source. “They have to rationalize their expenses with their income far more rapidly than they have been doing it [in his Judiciary Committee testimony this week, DHL Express CEO John Mullen said DHL is suffering operating losses of about $5 million per day], and they might have figured out that it might be better to outsource deliveries to UPS rather than the USPS because of better cost and service.”

“Both parties are committed to reaching an agreement,” a DHL spokesperson told LM. “Discussions between DHL and UPS are ongoing and details about the proposed arrangements and the timing of a final agreement are still subject to negotiation and confidentiality requirements. We regret that we are not in a position to provide more details at this time.”

This is really interesting and I wonder if this was already known from the getgo? So dhl takes an account of mine, but I might have to be the one actually picking up or delivering dhl packages to that same customer...this is going to be.....like I said before "interesting". Is this why noboby has heard anything about the tnt/ups info lately?