UPS to freeze pension plans for nonunion staffers

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
So how many plans are actually not doing well? I always here a lot of talk about it on here. My local says 100 percent funded through 2022.

TheFigurehead

I almost feel bad for mgmt, current and future... but on the other hand, not really. It's just one more concession UPS is forcing upon them on the race to the bottom. The management we have now is barely competent (there are a few rare exceptions, of course). What level of competence do you think our future management candidates will bring to the table when there is no longer any real incentive to work for UPS in a management role?

They keep taking and taking from both union and management alike in the name of pleasing their shareholder overlords. As it stands, we can't keep pt hourlies more than a few weeks. Most of the pt hourlies we do keep refuse to become drivers, as they know it's a raw deal, regardless of the pay (most people don't want to work 12 hours a day while getting screwed and belittled at every turn). 99% of the pt's who have been around longer than a month wouldn't take a pt sup position for double what they are paying now. The ones that did make that mistake are never going to move beyond pt sup, all while they are paying more and more for their benefits, losing their bonuses, and now losing their pensions.

We are quickly getting to the point where no one will be willing to work here... and the ones that are left will be left to pick up all of the slack while watching the benefits of working here erode before their eyes. Things will only get worse and worse for them, until they start quitting in droves.

Personally, I hope UPS gets what it deserves. I'd love to see a day when they no longer have the manpower to run their business. I mean, honestly, I'd rather they reverse course and start doing what's necessary to keep their workforce happy and emplyed with the company... but we all know that will never happen.

Enjoy your twilight years UPS. It might be 5 years, a decade, or 20 years... but sooner or later, you'll be out of business.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
E-mail message to UPS Alumni:

Today we announced that we’re changing the way we deliver retirement benefits to our active union-free people in the U.S. This change will take place on January 1, 2023.

This change does not affect your current or future benefit payments from the UPS Retirement Plan. Although it doesn’t affect your benefits, we wanted to ensure you were aware of the change.*

Instead of earning benefits in the UPS Retirement Plan, active participants will earn enhanced benefits in the UPS 401(k) Savings Plan staring January 1, 2023. Any benefits they earn through December 31, 2022 will not be affected. We’re announcing this change five years in advance to help our affected people prepare.

This decision was made after an extensive and thoughtful evaluation of our retirement benefits. Great care was taken to balance the effect on our people with the right outcomes for our business.

We know how important a financially secure retirement is for our people and their families. Rest assured we remain committed to offering comprehensive and competitive benefits.

Again, this change does not affect your benefits.

You’ll also receive a letter to your home within the coming days. Please visit UPSers.com for more information.

Thank you for your service to UPS.
Change the way we deliver retirement benefits. Lmao

Brownslave688

Tell that to @Jones ... he thinks Obama was great because the market rebounded from the March 2009 low.
It took 5 years to get back to where it was in June 2008.
But luckily for us all, Trump is in there now.
It took 5 years to get back where it was but those that stayed in and continued to buy stocks super cheap in 08-09. Their balances recovered much quicker than 5 years.

Brownslave688

You still lose the potential growth during the time it takes to rebound. Like I said both are a risk, but taking away that pension is still going to hurt and lose a lot of security when it comes time to retire.
You lose potential growth?

Actually gain a shot at massive growth. I was buying stocks at half price essentially. That's 100% growth just when it gets back to even.

Brownslave688

should be an eye opener to hourlies that want that dollar raise every year.

take less upfront to secure a better retirement. you'll be there before you know it and have to depend on hourlies to keep your pension strong.

scary now that i am retired.

fortunately , I maxed out the 401k every year and since my spouse did not work and we made less than the IRA threshold I was able to max out our IRA's too.

don't ever depend on one source of retirement income. pay off house, max 401k and IRA's if you can , pay off cars and all other debt and save, save, save cash.
Take it all upfront and secure your own retirement