UPS to freeze pension plans for nonunion staffers

brownalltheway

I'm hoping the union is next. They need to contribute to their health care and their pension. Why UPS continues to be part of a multi-union plan is crazy. I'll be laughing when u lose your pension.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I'm hoping the union is next. They need to contribute to their health care and their pension. Why UPS continues to be part of a multi-union plan is crazy. I'll be laughing when u lose your pension.
image.jpeg

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
M

MenInBrown

I have to correct my post. It was actually $trillons lost in 401k savings during the Bush Recession.
You didn't correct it. That recession began in 1995. I don't believe bush was president, but bush did continue the corrupt policies. Hopefully that will never happen again.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
The problem with a 401k is it's not enough to retire on by itself. And all those pre tax contributions will be taxed when withdrawn, most likely at a higher rate.
How much does one need put away to retire? I would think it would need to be millions if you were to stop working at age 55?

MAKAVELI

Yeah morons that pulled out at the bottom and didn't get back in for years or weren't smart enough to move their investments into less risky places as retirement neared.

100% growth in 3-4 years is massive

The Recession Hurt Americans' Retirement Accounts More Than Anybody Knew
100% is fantasyland for the majority of middle class Americans.

The way American retirement accounts are set up suggests that an increasing number of workers, including those squarely in the middle class, will experience downward mobility in retirement. Of the 18 million workers aged between 55 and 64 in 2012, 4.3 million will be poor or near poor by the time they’re 65. And if current trends continue between 2013 and 2022, the number of poor or near-poor 65-year-olds will increase by 146 percent. These numbers are unlikely to change as long as retirement accounts are exposed to the fluctuations of financial markets and their uneven recoveries.

There is a fix: A guaranteed-retirement accountwould invest workers' retirement contributions in pooled accounts that guarantee a stable rate of return, immune from the ups and downs of the market. This stability heads off the possibility of becoming old and poor just because someone is the wrong age at the wrong time in market cycles. And it’d be a great improvement over the current system.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
The Recession Hurt Americans' Retirement Accounts More Than Anybody Knew
100% is fantasyland for the majority of middle class Americans.

The way American retirement accounts are set up suggests that an increasing number of workers, including those squarely in the middle class, will experience downward mobility in retirement. Of the 18 million workers aged between 55 and 64 in 2012, 4.3 million will be poor or near poor by the time they’re 65. And if current trends continue between 2013 and 2022, the number of poor or near-poor 65-year-olds will increase by 146 percent. These numbers are unlikely to change as long as retirement accounts are exposed to the fluctuations of financial markets and their uneven recoveries.

There is a fix: A guaranteed-retirement accountwould invest workers' retirement contributions in pooled accounts that guarantee a stable rate of return, immune from the ups and downs of the market. This stability heads off the possibility of becoming old and poor just because someone is the wrong age at the wrong time in market cycles. And it’d be a great improvement over the current system.
Downward mobility? Is that Cleveland or Detroit, or Florida?