Ups vs. Fedex on Tractor-trailer division, career path HELP!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Hi I am new here, and I hope I posted this in the right area. I have a few questions for those of you are are familiar with the tractor-trailer divisions, or "feeder" positions. I am an experienced tractor trailer driver, who is working for a contractor for the usps. my company will be going under soon, and I have heard that top tractor trailer pay (as a company driver, that is not "otr") can be found at either ups, or fedex. I have applied for a class-a driving job on both companies websites, multiple times, and have heard nothing back from either company. from the little I have read on here, the brown cafe, it seems that maybe I could get some help. so, I have some questions, and I thank you for taking the time to read, and respond to these in depth.

1. what is the overall UNBIASED difference between working for ups, and fedex?

2. What is the pay scale for a tractor trailer driver at each company?

3. what is the different divisions of ups, and how do they affect the tractor-trailer driver?

4. is it true the only way to get to a "feeder position" is to start from the bottom at ups, and work your way up slowly (even with a cdl license and experience)?

5. if I got a job as a part time package handler, would I be able to put my name on a list, and skip over driving package cars, and move up to class-a driving cause I have previous experience?

6. are the feeder drivers considered the same thing as Line haul driving? what is the difference between a local, line haul, and otr driver at ups, and do they all work for one part of the company ( ups freight, ups ground...)

7. what kind of pay does a doubles & triples driver make, what kind of hours and scedule does one work? ( ups, and fedex)

8. what is the best way to get a tractor-trailer driving job at ups?

thanks for the help!

UPS pays better, but it takes forever to get a feeder job. I've driven seasonal feeder for UPS and everyone had at least 20 years of seniority. I work at FedEx Express, where we are company employees. All Ground semi-drivers are contracted owner-operators, or non-employees working for a contractor. FedEx Freight drivers are also company employees.

FedEx doesn't like to release wage numbers, but in my market a topped-out RTD (feeder driver) makes around $28 per hour. They start at around $18 per hour and it takes forever to reach top wage. It also tends to be a high seniority position and they usually work an AM shift or a PM shift as in very early AM and late PM. There are very few overnight runs any longer since they have mostly been contracted out. We are non-union at Express, and due to our RLA classification, it's likely to stay that way. Benefits aren't very good, and the retirement plan sucks. FedEx freight is also non-union, but they topout in around 4 years because they are under the NLRA and have a better shot at going union. They still have lots of overnight runs (usually slip seat), and I've heard they just restructured the line drivers pay, undoubtedly so they make less. They have the same crap retirement and benefits as Express.

If you really want to start driving semis now, FedEx is your better bet. But UPS has a much better pay structure and a good retirement plan, which might make suffering through package cars worth it.

I hope this has helped answer most of your questions.

yeldarb

"Not the top of the line for the driver?"

I'd rather take 10 lbs of weight gain, yes that's all I gained. I go to the gym by choice, not by delivering 200 stops. It's more enjoyable. You can have your automatic door opening package car, and your knee/back problems. I'll be a "lazy" feeder driver any day.

Retire from feeders, have a heart attack and dont get to enjoy retirement.
Retire from package car, have s strong heart, but be in pain throughout retirement.

yeldarb

UPS pays better, but it takes forever to get a feeder job. I've driven seasonal feeder for UPS and everyone had at least 20 years of seniority. I work at FedEx Express, where we are company employees. All Ground semi-drivers are contracted owner-operators, or non-employees working for a contractor. FedEx Freight drivers are also company employees.

FedEx doesn't like to release wage numbers, but in my market a topped-out RTD (feeder driver) makes around $28 per hour. They start at around $18 per hour and it takes forever to reach top wage. It also tends to be a high seniority position and they usually work an AM shift or a PM shift as in very early AM and late PM. There are very few overnight runs any longer since they have mostly been contracted out. We are non-union at Express, and due to our RLA classification, it's likely to stay that way. Benefits aren't very good, and the retirement plan sucks. FedEx freight is also non-union, but they topout in around 4 years because they are under the NLRA and have a better shot at going union. They still have lots of overnight runs (usually slip seat), and I've heard they just restructured the line drivers pay, undoubtedly so they make less. They have the same crap retirement and benefits as Express.

If you really want to start driving semis now, FedEx is your better bet. But UPS has a much better pay structure and a good retirement plan, which might make suffering through package cars worth it.

I hope this has helped answer most of your questions.
With your 28 bucks an hour, you can thank the Teamsters for that. Fred S has to make his job competitive paywise with UPS to keep his employees happy, and the Union out. People that gripe about any Unions are naive in thinking they have not benefitted from them. Unions have helped keep a middle class, paid overtime, sick days, vacation days, holiday pay, and 5 day work weeks. All of this antiUnion political talk on tv makes me angry and nervous. We all need Unions.