ups vs military

P

poman

Having issues with health & welfare contributions from the company. Every TDY that laps over a quarterly contribution, i can expect this problem from the company. Does anyone have info. to remedy this trend?

U

ups_gregg

<font color="0000ff">I just wish my benefits at UPS weren't frozen while I'm on military leave. TRI-Care SUCKS!</font>

P

poman

The National language states that we (military members) shouldn't miss any type of contribution or progression, during our absence. I also read how the company honored their military members since 9-11. Since 2001, I haven't experienced any type of appreciation from our district or local. Long story short - The company thanks me, for my military obligation, by leaving my family without insurance.

U

ups_gregg

<font color="0000ff">I knew my benenifts would be frozen once I joined the military but I wasn't too concerned because I was lead to believe that military benefits were were just as good. HA HA. NOT!</font>

M

moreluck

What happened to the FREE plastic surgery for all of your family ?? That's a big selling point for the military now.

B

brownny

<font color="000000"><font face="arial,helvetica"></font>
anonymous.gif
did 23 years in the reserves while working at big brown. only had trouble once with the contributions and that was when i went to my 2 weeks active duty the company was not paying into my pension fund. had that fixed and no more problems. even when i was called to duty for the first gulf war. the company kept on paying for my insurance. family did not have to use tri care. </font>}

U

ups_gregg

<font color="0000ff">Whats the quickest way to find out whether or not UPS has been paying into my pension or not?

I believe it is up to your employer whether or not they want to continue your benefits while you are called to active duty but in my case it doesn't apply because I went straight into active duty from civilian and opted to keep my job at UPS for when I get out of the military in 4 years. Plastic surgery???...yeah that leads me to my point. They let women get boob jobs and nose jobs and things like that just because they want it (it's actually supposed to be for health related issues) but they wont pay for new contact lenses. I can't get new contacts but if I was a girl I could get new boobs or a new nose even if I didn't need them. Kind of funny to me. It just seems so backwards.. Military benefits compared to UPS benefits are still ok...but some of the comparisons just don't seem right to me.</font>

P

poman

As for Health &amp; Welfare contributions, I found my current status by contacting our Union Hall.

P

poman

Brownny,,, this is a funny spin to my drama. HR tells me if i was deployed over a year (real world or not) they would contribute. From a business angle, isn't it better to give to the short tours and make the military member rely on the Government for the long ones?

B

brownny

<font color="000000"><font face="arial,helvetica"></font>i guess things have changed since 1991. in my building there were 4 of us deployed and we had one fellow teamster go around and get donations from fellow teamsters and split that up with the families. this would happen about once a month. it was not alot of money but the thought was there. even my sup would call and ask how things were going. i bet nothing like that happens now. i hope it still does though.
anonymous.gif
</font>}}}}}

U

ups_gregg

<font color="0000ff">All I care about right now is UPS continuing to pay into the pension and recieving the right pay and job when I go back. It should be like I never left. Like I was on a 4 year unpaid vacation. </font>

P

poman

One other funny story: During Desert Storm, me and my former Sup got deployed. The company was kind to him and allowed him to double dip during the deployment. I didn't see that on my end, but atleast i still got health &amp; welfare.