UPS won't insure spouses of many employees

Packmule

It affects all of us non union dedicated drivers. It is mostly to blame on the new health care laws, how ever ups would not lose any money if the continued coverage. It would allow my wife to have better coverage as her insurance is far more inferior to ours and is why she is currently on my plan. It will soon apply to union employees as well, it will not be a strong issue for the union to continue to fight for once the next contract comes around. We should all fear this new health care law. It will eventually leave us all with paying more out of pocket expense with our current healthcare providers.

I agree. The handwriting is on the wall.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
So, is it now better to be gay & work in Management or Non-Union, Non-Management positions at UPS so you have domestic partner benefits? Welcome to bizarro world.

co-chair

Hoaxster as i mentioned before jim casey would turn over in his grave . I met him back in 1981 in watertowwn mass his great slogan was ups is owned by it managers and managed by its owners. That is no longer the case we are now owned by Warren Buffet and wall street going public we shot ourself in the foot we all can thank CEO Jim Kelly for that and the 1997 strike maybe you think that I was being childish in one of my posts but I do not agreewith everything that you say eitherI have 33 years 9 months time spent at UPS how much do you have?

Vinnyvinman

Greedy Bastards!!!
Let them try it with the Union.
Just an FYI look at the profits. B stands for Billions.

Consolidated Results
2Q 2013 2Q 2012

Revenue $13.51 B $13.35 B
Operating profit $1.74 B $1.79 B
Operating margin 12.9 % 13.4 %
Average volume per day 15.7 M 15.4 M
Diluted earnings per share $1.13 $1.15

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hoaxster as i mentioned before jim casey would turn over in his grave . I met him back in 1981 in watertown mass his great slogan was ups is owned by it managers and managed by its owners. That is no longer the case we are now owned by Warren Buffet and wall street going public we shot ourselves in the foot we all can thank CEO Jim Kelly for that and the 1997 strike maybe you think that I was being childish in one of my posts but I do not agree with everything that you say either I have 33 years 9 months time spent at UPS how much do you have?

I met Jim too.

I had 40 before I retired.

The "Jim Casey rolling over in his grave" is a childish thing to say regardless of contextual usage.

twoweeled

Do the Higher Ranks of management give a damn about the furue of UPS ? I have been worried for years about the future of the company due to the (low and getting lower) standards of the part time employees that are hired ,and now this will push many bright talented Management to other companies,and will damned sure be yet another reason for many hourly having ZERO interest in being promoted.
I'm not the smartest person here but I 'm fairly certain we need great people in both Hourly and Management ranks to sustain a successful company. What am I missing????

My opinion is; No, Upper upper management could not care less about management, or the company. They are concerned with the numbers, so there is a reflection in the stock price. The stock price rising, give validity to a big bonus to the board members. If the company does down the drain in 15 years, who cares? The board will be gone with their bonuses. The quality of the company has already gone down significantly, and continues it's spiral.
As much a pain in the ass as management is to many of us, I think we can agree, they do not deserve to be treated this way. They do put up with even bigger A-holes, and put in too many hours, and are getting screwed. This company has no loyalty anywhere!! it's all about ME ME ME. WE really do have to go to war now. Prepare to either go to war, or to just bend over and close your eyes. mark my words.

twoweeled

It affects all of us non union dedicated drivers. It is mostly to blame on the new health care laws, how ever ups would not lose any money if the continued coverage. It would allow my wife to have better coverage as her insurance is far more inferior to ours and is why she is currently on my plan. It will soon apply to union employees as well, it will not be a strong issue for the union to continue to fight for once the next contract comes around. We should all fear this new health care law. It will eventually leave us all with paying more out of pocket expense with our current healthcare providers.

It affects all the non union drivers now. It's just a matter of how long before it affects everyone. It will be soon. They would not hit the whole company (management, union, non union) all at the same time, and risk all of us getting on the same page. No, divide and conquer works. This will happen to us too, have no doubt. Unless you think the union is going to protect us from this? :funny:
Second, I won't argue that obama care has caused the the cost of health care to go up. But, I do not believe for one second, that if obama care didn't exist, the company wouldn't be attacking our healthcare. The attack was coming either way. It just cuts into the company a little bit more. The company is attacking anything, and everything. They see we have no leadership, and we are divided and weak, and they are attacking. It's a smart move one their part. When the threats get aggressive, people will start to crumble and shake, and vote yes. Watch.

DanLee1950

I've been retired now since 9/1/2005, but even before that I used to wonder why UPS would be the primary insurer of spouses who were eligible for insurance at their companies...Why should UPS foot the bill for spousal insurance when they're eligible to get it where they work. UPS says this will save $60 Million a year..., and may save them from Obamacare fines for not covering some spouses. Spouses who are stay-at-home moms, or don't work somewhere that provides insurance will still be covered, as will the children. I was upset by the news, too, as I thought they'd eliminate retiree coverage, or spousal coverage, but that's clearly not the case.