UPS won't insure spouses of many employees

cynic

But where does it end? Extra premiums for smokers, extra for people who drink over a certain amount a week....extra premiums for people with dangerous hobbies (i.e. skydiving, pilot's license or ride motorcycles). If we get hurt in a car accident or get a serious illness....should there be an extra premium for that too?

I'm waiting for gun owners and those with CHL's to get hit with higher/extra insurance premiums. :angry:

upsoldtimer

And they should charge the most for those over 55 years of age because that is statistically when the costs start to skyrocket ... especially retirees.
Last time I checked smoking was a voluntary activity, not so for aging baby...This is about modifying behavior to reduce costs with things that are under a person's control. But to your suggestion, if at some point there is to be a higher premium for us folks pushing 60 and above, I say bring it on baby! And I could assure you that you'd find me making the necessary adjustments within my household budget to accommodate the increase rather than commiserating about it on a forum......Soooo much negativity on this forum, I'd better get off cause it's bad for my health baby....

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Last time I checked smoking was a voluntary activity, not so for aging baby...This is about modifying behavior to reduce costs with things that are under a person's control. But to your suggestion, if at some point there is to be a higher premium for us folks pushing 60 and above, I say bring it on baby! And I could assure you that you'd find me making the necessary adjustments within my household budget to accommodate the increase rather than commiserating about it on a forum......Soooo much negativity on this forum, I'd better get off cause it's bad for my health baby....

Nice try to spin the "cost to insure"!

​You must have been in SALES.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
No, not SALES. Just the way I live my life..."glass half full"....it's really a better way to live baby....

Or maybe "absolutely full" of it! :peaceful:

Just kidding ... I have been accused, to a fault by others, that I find a way to see a positive in any situation so I can relate to your outlook.

But back to the point:
The discussion was about recovering the full cost to insure which could would include "getting older" (reference"life Insurance" costs).
You then spun your reply to my challenge to exclude increased medical costs as one ages because there is nothing one can do about it.
Many "behavioral" chronic medical issues are predetermined to a large extent by heredity.

Kae3106

Now that it's enrollment time I'm interested to hear personal stories of the impact of this change. Are you paying less, more, or the same overall for your family?

Zero impact to me. I'm single, no kids, and don't smoke. The premium stayed the same as last year and I've been building up my HSA for the past few years so I'm covered for the entire max out of pocket amount if disaster strikes. Now, if they ever raise the premiums based on lack of exercise or alcohol consumption, I'm screwed.

Nearly every smoker in my building quit when this change was announced so the company seems to be getting the behavior they desired.

FEGuy

But where does it end? Extra premiums for smokers, extra for people who drink over a certain amount a week....extra premiums for people with dangerous hobbies (i.e. skydiving, pilot's license or ride motorcycles). If we get hurt in a car accident or get a serious illness....should there be an extra premium for that too?
Yes! Now you are getting it. The higher the risk, the more you pay. It's pretty simple, isn't it?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Popeye sorry to hear about your wife's cancer. Hopefully she 100% recovers. I am not impacted myself, but I think this decision by UPS is "WRONG". UPS hates bad publicity. I suggest you work on a news article on this. Some news outlets will jump on as a way to bash Obamacare also.
How come a few years back they decided to insure, significant others, but now wont insure spouses?

brownIEman

upsers has this on the faq page about the new spousal exclusion...

"Since the Affordable Care Act requires employers to provide affordable coverage, we believe your spouse should be covered by their own employer—just as UPS has a responsibility to offer coverage to you, our employee"

Does seem logical, organizations are being expected to cover their own, so they should bear the costs to do just that.
I am thinking I may just switch myself back to the flex plan this year and off of my wife's coverage. Why should her employer subsidize UPS' fiscal responsibilities?

Griff

Honestly, you don't need talented people at UPS except in a small percentage of positions.
​It's really pretty damn simple what we do. The key is execution and cost control.

I totally agree. It's so simple, in fact, that the "talent" has comprised a list of 360+ procedures to do said simple job.

The talent has also made illogical and nonsensical metrics the focus, rather than customer service.

That kind of "talent" is hard to come by, let me tell you.